Author Topic: Ian Desmond All Star?  (Read 1086 times)

Offline Slumpbuster

Ian Desmond All Star?
« Topic Start: May 21, 2012, 11:03:35 PM »
How great is it to see Ian's bat come alive!? Just when we needed it the most due to injuries and other players not hitting up to par. Sticking him in the middle of the line-up seems to make a lot of sense too. He still is a first pitch swinger a lot but he has disciplined himself to not chase a lot of bad ones.
As far as an All Star goes, he probably does not have the name recognition yet to get enough votes but he's been invaluable to us........he may have a shot at Gold Glove?

Offline PC

Re: Ian Desmond All Star?
« Reply #1: May 21, 2012, 11:03:56 PM »
Yes!

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #2: May 21, 2012, 11:04:42 PM »
if he can get his obp above .320 then i say yes.

Offline TylerDC

• The Future.
« Reply #3: May 21, 2012, 11:21:27 PM »
Needs a little better OBP.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #4: May 21, 2012, 11:30:29 PM »
desi's obp is all the way up to .301!

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #5: May 22, 2012, 12:17:45 AM »
Strasburg, Gio, Laroche.

Not Desmond, though it is nice to see him thriving lower in the lineup

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #6: May 22, 2012, 08:43:47 AM »
No f'ng way.  Let's not confuse "isn't in the running for being the worst MLB regular" like he was last year with being an all star.  Here's a few deserve to be an all star more guys at SS just based off this season:

Furcal:  .350 / .407 / .466, wOBA .388, UZR -0.5, WAR 2.0
Lowrie: .288 /.365 / .492, wOBA .378, UZR 3.8, WAR 2.0
Desi:    .280 / .301 / .473, wOBA .333, UZR 0.3, WAR 1.3

You can say he's having about as good a year as Starlin Castro.   That's saying something.

Also, if you are one of those that believes the All Star game should factor in longer term achievement and near MVP level performance in recent years, then Tulo is a no brainer even though you can argue Desi is having a better year.

The all stars at SS will be Tulo, Furcal, and Lowrie as the Astros representative.  LaHair will get the Cubs slot rather than Castro, but if LaHair is traded, then Castro gets the nod over Desi.  Ruben Tejada will also get consideration.

That said, yes, the move to the middle of the order was way overdue.  there are few guys I want up more than Desi if we need contact to knock in a tieing or go ahead run and we are facing a fastball pitcher.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #7: May 22, 2012, 08:52:03 AM »
Dude why are you so critical of him? If Danny were putting up the same numbers you would be :az: over him.

Desmond is having a very good season both defensively and offensively thus far. An All Star? Probably not unless his HR total gets up in the teens before ASG and he maintains BA .270+.

He's made a few errors here and there but overall I have felt his defense has been really solid. And yes his OBP isn't high but currently he is making up for it with high BA and SLG pct.

Offline Sharp

« Reply #8: May 22, 2012, 08:57:19 AM »
If Desmond can actually maintain his power this year then I'll grudgingly admit I was wrong about him, but it's still early in the season.  Two months of nice hitting don't erase the previous two years for me.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9: May 22, 2012, 09:00:57 AM »
dude, I'm not critical if you read the post.  Sure, I took a swipe at him for the way he played last year, but I just said
the move to the middle of the order was way overdue.  there are few guys I want up more than Desi if we need contact to knock in a tieing or go ahead run and we are facing a fastball pitcher.

To say he's in a group with Castro and Tejada and outplaying Tulo is not being critical about his play this year.  It's just he's clearly behind Furcal and Lowrie (Red Sox bias 8) - how's that Melancon deal working out? ) , and his career does not match Tulo's.

Oh, and if you want to talk defense, mention Zach Cozart, too.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #10: May 22, 2012, 09:04:04 AM »
dude, I'm not critical if you read the post.  Sure, I took a swipe at him for the way he played last year, but I just said
To say he's in a group with Castro and Tejada and outplaying Tulo is not being critical about his play this year.  It's just he's clearly behind Furcal and Lowrie (Red Sox bias 8) - how's that Melancon deal working out? ) , and his career does not match Tulo's.

Uh .... Lowrie plays for the Stros ...

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #11: May 22, 2012, 09:06:21 AM »
Lowrie was traded from the Sox.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12: May 22, 2012, 09:07:30 AM »
do a search on the board for my posts about wanting to trade for Lowrie going back a few years.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #13: May 22, 2012, 09:24:56 AM »

Why don't you take similar shots at Espinosa and his .295 OBP and .333 SLG PCT and 50 Ks?

Desmond will never have a high OBP but doesn't mean he can't be useful. He plays plus defense at a premium position and right now he is hitting for power and driving in runs which we badly need.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #14: May 22, 2012, 09:31:44 AM »
There's no thread calling for Danny to be an All-Star.

And I must be missing the plus defense... what with the seven errors, good for fourth most in the majors at SS.

Having a solid year in driving the ball... Hell, I'd even say he's having a very good year... but he's no All-Star.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15: May 22, 2012, 09:54:55 AM »
SF - read the Espinosa watch thread.  I said Espinosa should have been sent down on 5/2, and pointed out that the organization does not make major development pieces like Espinosa pay for changing the approach that got them to the majors earlier in the thread.

Again, the only shot I took at Desmond was to say he stunk last year.  do you disagree?

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #16: May 22, 2012, 10:27:28 AM »
dude, I'm not critical if you read the post.

:lmao:

I love it when JCA is reduced to sportfanian levels.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #17: May 22, 2012, 10:30:23 AM »
do a search on the board for my posts about wanting to trade for Lowrie going back a few years.

I wanted Lowrie and Reddick last year. But I'm not sure I was willing to give up Storen or Clippard to do it.

Offline OldNatsFan

« Reply #18: May 22, 2012, 10:33:45 AM »
Tony LaRussa really likes Desmond so I think LaRussa might pick him for the team this year.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #19: May 22, 2012, 10:36:46 AM »
no

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #20: May 22, 2012, 10:41:42 AM »
SF - read the Espinosa watch thread.  I said Espinosa should have been sent down on 5/2, and pointed out that the organization does not make major development pieces like Espinosa pay for changing the approach that got them to the majors earlier in the thread.

Again, the only shot I took at Desmond was to say he stunk last year.  do you disagree?

Why are you even responding to him? He's just freaking out because you aren't praising Desmond on some mouth-breather level that he understands. If you want to placate him, just say something about Desmond's power hitting being "silly" and leave it at that.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #21: May 22, 2012, 11:18:09 AM »
Decision made - I'm getting an authentic Desmond jersey.

Offline BerkeleyNat

« Reply #22: May 22, 2012, 11:20:09 AM »
Decision made - I'm getting an authentic Desmond jersey.

You putting his name on the back of a Miami jersey?  :lmao:

Offline BerkeleyNat

« Reply #23: May 22, 2012, 11:21:33 AM »
Why don't you take similar shots at Espinosa and his .295 OBP and .333 SLG PCT and 50 Ks?

Desmond will never have a high OBP but doesn't mean he can't be useful. He plays plus defense at a premium position and right now he is hitting for power and driving in runs which we badly need.

LMAO! SF is officially on the Desmond bandwagon. He'll be a bum again the next time he goes hit-less in a game.  :lol:

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #24: May 22, 2012, 11:33:53 AM »
You putting his name on the back of a Miami jersey?  :lmao:

:nono:

I'm 100% full-on Sunshine Squad™ now, didn't you know?