Author Topic: Jeff Francoeur - My New Hero  (Read 1787 times)

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
Jeff Francoeur - My New Hero
« Topic Start: April 13, 2012, 02:06:41 PM »
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2012/04/11/SPG31O21AU.DTL

Royals right fielder Jeff Francoeur said he's saddened by Oakland's tiny crowds and hopes the city will get a new ballpark to house the A's.

For now, Francoeur is perfectly fine with the fans who do show up. Wednesday, he resumed a love affair with fans beyond the right-field wall and had 20 pizzas delivered to section 149.

"They're diehards," Francoeur said. "Those are the people you feel bad for with all the stuff that's going on right now - whether they're going to move or not. Those are the fans who obviously love coming out and being a part of it."

Francoeur said he was razzed by A's fans two seasons ago and engaged in friendly back-and-forth, and somehow the discussion turned to bacon. So last year, he tossed a ball wrapped in a $100 bill to the fans, suggesting they buy bacon and beer.

Tuesday, fans presented Francoeur a green T-shirt with the words "Second Annual Bacon Fest Sponsored by Jeff Francoeur." They called it Bacon Tuesday, and Francoeur is looking forward to 2013, saying, "I told them I'll come out early and hang out with them in the parking lot and eat bacon."

He added, "Baseball to me is fun. We can take it too seriously sometimes. It's nights like last night that makes it a lot of fun to play this game."

much love

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
Re: Jeff Francoeur - My New Hero
« Reply #1: April 13, 2012, 02:10:18 PM »
Didn't Sal Fasano do that in NY and Philly with the Sal's Pals guys?

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #2: April 13, 2012, 02:12:04 PM »
:clap:

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #3: April 13, 2012, 02:15:09 PM »
Pretty awesome.  I remember heckling the crap out of Francouer when he was the Braves during Zimmermann's debut when there was almost no one at the stadium because of the weather.  When running to second one inning he trip and face planted in the mud and I let him have it next time he was in RF.  He was a good sport about it and acknowledged the heckling with a good humored smile.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #4: April 13, 2012, 02:20:54 PM »
that's friggin awesome.  what a class act.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #5: April 13, 2012, 02:28:33 PM »
Pretty awesome.  I remember heckling the crap out of Francouer when he was the Braves during Zimmermann's debut when there was almost no one at the stadium because of the weather.  When running to second one inning he trip and face planted in the mud and I let him have it next time he was in RF.  He was a good sport about it and acknowledged the heckling with a good humored smile.

Not too many are like that. I never understood the hate that was aimed at him specifically but whatever.

I saw a lot of fans trying to engage Werth yesterday but he wasn't having any of that crap. Can't say I blame him though. He'll probably have his own version of what Francoeur is doing and call it "The Annual Werth Bangs Your Wife" so start lining up.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #6: April 13, 2012, 02:28:38 PM »
That is awesome.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #7: April 13, 2012, 02:30:18 PM »
Not too many are like that. I never understood the hate that was aimed at him specifically but whatever.

I saw a lot of fans trying to engage Werth yesterday but he wasn't having any of that crap. Can't say I blame him though. He'll probably have his own version of what Francoeur is doing and call it "The Annual Werth Bangs Your Wife" so start lining up.

But who's going to make him a shirt for that? I also think I saw him turn around and wave to the people in the lower RF area but I could have been mistaken.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #8: April 13, 2012, 02:31:40 PM »
Francoeur got heckled so bad when he was on the Mets playing at Nationals Park. Didn't seem to mind it though.

GOOD GUY JEFF FRANCOEUR.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #9: April 13, 2012, 02:32:41 PM »
Francoeur got heckled so bad when he was on the Mets playing at Nationals Park. Didn't seem to mind it though.

GOOD GUY JEFF FRANCOEUR.

Remember when he clearly missed the fly ball in RF? :lol:

good times

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #10: April 13, 2012, 02:33:25 PM »

I'll heckle any opponent when I sit in the outfield.  Though I do remember yelling some stuff at Wily Taveras a few years back when he was with the Reds and later in the game he tried to pull off a covert middle finger.  Adam Dunn had some of the better and more funny responses back in the day when he was playing RF for us.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #11: April 13, 2012, 02:33:35 PM »
ahhh, good ole google

poor guy lol

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #12: April 13, 2012, 02:34:18 PM »
ahhh, good ole google

(Image removed from quote.)

poor guy lol

Wow, that made me laugh, hard.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #13: April 13, 2012, 02:34:22 PM »
Remember when he clearly missed the fly ball in RF? :lol:

good times

YES. I was at that game. He really heard it from the crowd that night.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #14: April 13, 2012, 02:35:36 PM »
But who's going to make him a shirt for that? I also think I saw him turn around and wave to the people in the lower RF area but I could have been mistaken.

You were mistaken. Some of the people that were waving at him were under the impression that he kept looking back at them but he was actually looking at the giant scoreboard. He was doing it practically on every pitch. Maybe he was keeping track of pitch speed.   :shrug:

Offline spidernat

« Reply #15: April 13, 2012, 02:36:23 PM »
I'll heckle any opponent when I sit in the outfield.  Though I do remember yelling some stuff at Wily Taveras a few years back when he was with the Reds and later in the game he tried to pull off a covert middle finger. 

Matt Lawton did that to me once.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #16: April 13, 2012, 02:37:23 PM »
You were mistaken. Some of the people that were waving at him were under the impression that he kept looking back at them but he was actually looking at the giant scoreboard. He was doing it practically on every pitch. Maybe he was keeping track of pitch speed.   :shrug:

Ohhh that's what that must've been. Makes sense.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #17: April 13, 2012, 02:44:47 PM »

Nah, the side boards died during the middle of the game and were out till the late innings. He was probably looking up for the count/outs.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #18: April 13, 2012, 02:50:40 PM »
Nah, the side boards died during the middle of the game and were out till the late innings. He was probably looking up for the count/outs.

True but I only noticed that the side boards were out when they showed advertisements. I told my brother that in this day and age the giant scoreboards aren't as important because of cell phones but even that was a problem yesterday. Then again when you're at the game you should be able to see all that from anywhere you sit. I've actually say in those sections before but I don't recall it being a pain in the ass not having a view of the giant scoreboard.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #19: April 13, 2012, 02:51:57 PM »
They really should create a similar, yet smaller, scoreboard and have it hang on the third base side or behind homeplate or something. It really does suck when you're on the miller lite walk/ in those sections up there.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #20: April 13, 2012, 04:57:32 PM »
I'll heckle any opponent when I sit in the outfield.  Though I do remember yelling some stuff at Wily Taveras a few years back when he was with the Reds and later in the game he tried to pull off a covert middle finger.  Adam Dunn had some of the better and more funny responses back in the day when he was playing RF for us.

Shannon Stewart gets mad when you make fun of his name.

I guess he said something to an official at a game, because the fan was taken away after Shannon gave him the bird.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #21: May 04, 2012, 01:34:07 PM »

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #22: May 06, 2012, 05:02:00 PM »
I remember Francoeur when he was at the Braves...one afternoon at Nats Park he ripped the Nats for 7 RBI including a grand slam.

(About Oakland: I remember when they were literally drawing three-digit crowds near the end of the Charlie Finley ownership in the late 1970's...and with the Marlins now in their new ground, the A's have the only remaining ballpark in MLB shared with an NFL team; one of only two remaining joint-use baseball/football facilities if one adds the Jays who share with the CFL Argonauts.)