Author Topic: Suspected Former Juicers  (Read 2381 times)

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
Suspected Former Juicers
« Topic Start: May 25, 2009, 12:11:15 AM »
david ortiz, jeff francoer. thoughts? any other suspicious folks?

Offline sportsfan882

Ortiz definitely.

Albert Pujols. Andruw Jones. J.D. Drew. Vernon Wells.

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
A retired player I'd still love to add to this list: Luis Gonzalez.

Everyone revered him as "an ambassador to baseball", etc.  47 HR in 2001 (the year they won the WS), and no more than 30 in any other year.  Bullcrap.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
He actually had 57 in 2001. :lol: :shock:

Michael Aviles might have been doing them last year.  His numbers have really fallen off.

Offline ronnynat

Rogers Hornsby.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
Look at Jesus Flores this year as opposed to last year.  He is definitely juicing.  There is no question.

just kidding

:icon_mrgreen:

70% to 80% of current MLB players.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
A retired player I'd still love to add to this list: Luis Gonzalez.

Everyone revered him as "an ambassador to baseball", etc.  47 HR in 2001 (the year they won the WS), and no more than 30 in any other year.  Bullcrap.

He was clearly a juicer.

Ortiz definitely.

Albert Pujols. Andruw Jones. J.D. Drew. Vernon Wells.

You don't think Pujols is juicing anymore?

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
70% to 80% of current MLB players.

Beat me to that one. And about 95% of the Dominican players. At least 5% of are still juicing, particularly the ones that can afford the latest stuff.

Offline sportsfan882

He was clearly a juicer.

You don't think Pujols is juicing anymore?
I don't know. I'm not fully understanding of how juicing works. Even if you juiced in the past and stopped now doesn't it still have effect now? Or as soon as you stop juicing do the effects of it stop too?

Offline UMDNats

ryan zimmerman is definitely juicing!

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
I hope Adrian Gonzalez isnt juicing. Ive always liked him and would just like to see someone hit so many homers without it.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
I don't know. I'm not fully understanding of how juicing works. Even if you juiced in the past and stopped now doesn't it still have effect now? Or as soon as you stop juicing do the effects of it stop too?

I don't think the effects would stop immediately.

Offline HalfSmokes

they had will carol talking about that on a podcast a while ago, the basic answer is no one knows. Its really impossible to do a real study since you would have to know who was juicing when. He was guessing about a season until it wore off.

I'd tack Jim Thome, Ryan Howard, and Chase Utley onto the list. Especially with the hip injury.

For retired players, Cal, one of the huge benefits of some of the drugs is increased healing time

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Nomar.  Radical body transformation when in the minors.  Pudge Rodriguez.  Any pitcher who jumps from the Indy leagues with new-found velocity.

Piazza?  It wasn't juice.  It was gravy.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!

For retired players, Cal, one of the huge benefits of some of the drugs is increased healing time

I would think that reduced healing time would be a much better benefit, unless time off with pay is what you have in mind.

Offline blue911

I would think that reduced healing time would be a much better benefit, unless time off with pay is what you have in mind.

There is no evidence that PED's help with healing. If they did, Nick Johnson would have been given an exemption. What they do is help with RECOVERY time between workouts.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
There is no evidence that PED's help with healing. If they did, Nick Johnson would have been given an exemption. What they do is help with RECOVERY time between workouts.

I disagree.  Steriods are prescribed exactly for the purpose of promoting rapid healing.  My mom's had them prescribed twice for that reason.  She never liked them because withdrawing was a downer.

Offline blue911

I disagree.  Steriods are prescribed exactly for the purpose of promoting rapid healing.  My mom's had them prescribed twice for that reason.  She never liked them because withdrawing was a downer.

Are you sure they weren't used like cortisone?

Offline HalfSmokes

http://ajs.sagepub.com/content/27/1/2.abstract

steroids 'may' help with healing. Although the researches say more research is warranted, my guess is the results of at least one 'study' would be out there if the result of the anonymous drug tests were released.

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!

The one thing that has been demonstrated about PEDs and is clear from the statements of everyone that uses them is that they aid in recovery time. That allows people who aren't hurt to recover between games - that helps batters stay fresh from game to game and not wear down, and it allows relief pitchers to make more appearance. It allows guys who are injured to recover between rehab routines and work outs faster in order to speed up the recover time. Will it heal a torn muscle. I would say not. Will it allow a guy to get back on the field after being injured faster. I would say absolutely. These are the reasons they are used.

The elimination of fatigue and the speedy recovery between workouts is what actually allows guys who do choose to engage in muscle building routines to bulk up. But getting bulked up is an indirect impact of PEDs. Most guys gained the advantage of recovery between games, workouts, and rehabs to speed recovery and avoid wearing down. And that is the reason why so many guys who used them benefited while never actually showing the signs of bulking up that so many figured would be required to show someone had juiced.

Offline Dave B

The one thing that has been demonstrated about PEDs and is clear from the statements of everyone that uses them is that they aid in recovery time. That allows people who aren't hurt to recover between games - that helps batters stay fresh from game to game and not wear down, and it allows relief pitchers to make more appearance. It allows guys who are injured to recover between rehab routines and work outs faster in order to speed up the recover time. Will it heal a torn muscle. I would say not. Will it allow a guy to get back on the field after being injured faster. I would say absolutely. These are the reasons they are used.

The elimination of fatigue and the speedy recovery between workouts is what actually allows guys who do choose to engage in muscle building routines to bulk up. But getting bulked up is an indirect impact of PEDs. Most guys gained the advantage of recovery between games, workouts, and rehabs to speed recovery and avoid wearing down. And that is the reason why so many guys who used them benefited while never actually showing the signs of bulking up that so many figured would be required to show someone had juiced.

The recovery from working out is due to the fact you have torn your muscles on a small scale and need to repair them. So if roids aid in repairing small tears, I would think this could be applied to larger tears. Might not help with ligament or tendon injuries though

Offline Dave B

Ortiz definitely.

what gives it away? the giant head and gapped teeth. the roids/testosterone make your skull/jaw grow and can cause your teeth to separate

Offline Dave B

I'd imagine once you have the muscle you can keep at least some of it (maybe all) with effort and stay stronger than you would have been without steroids. But I think there are some more immediate advantages you lose like some kind of energy/amped up factor that comes from intense workouts and thinking you are some kind of beast