Author Topic: Edwin Jackson - no qualifying offer??  (Read 3150 times)

Offline NJ Ave

Edwin Jackson - no qualifying offer??
« Topic Start: November 05, 2012, 09:33:41 AM »
Why on earth would we not give him the $13.3 million qualifying offer? If he takes it, great, you have a great 5th starter and you only have one year's financial exposure. If he signs long-term elsewhere, you get the compensation.

Seems strange to leave that on the table. Perhaps there was an under-the-table handshake agreement when he came here on a one-year deal that the Nats would not do anything to deter other clubs from signing him long-term after the season? If he was still with Boras, this would seem in bad faith. As it is, it just doesn't make sense.

Look at the terrible starting pitching out there. He's absolutely going to get 3-4 years.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
Re: Edwin Jackson - no qualifying offer??
« Reply #1: November 05, 2012, 09:39:06 AM »
Perhaps there was an under-the-table handshake agreement when he came here on a one-year deal that the Nats would not do anything to deter other clubs from signing him long-term after the season?

That's what I've been assuming. You get my client on a one year deal, but you don't give him a qualifying offer because he's only taking the one year deal to up his stock.

If that's the case, it was a great job by the Nats.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #2: November 05, 2012, 09:48:55 AM »
Keep Boras happy, keep getting good players.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #3: November 05, 2012, 10:58:59 AM »
I believe they didn't make a qualifying offer because they were afraid he would take it. I think they do not feel he is worth that much.

And why would he take it?  Because he is already here, it's not like moving to a new city for one season, he wouldn't have to move his family.

(Well actually, I don't know if he has a family.)

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #4: November 05, 2012, 11:06:26 AM »
(Well actually, I don't know if he has a family.)
He was holding a baby during the division champs clinch so he does have a young family.

But I am OK with not extending an offer, it will be interesting to see who the Nats reach out to as his replacement.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #5: November 05, 2012, 11:08:11 AM »
I believe they didn't make a qualifying offer because they were afraid he would take it.

This. They think they can do better on the FA market and don't want to take the chance he will accept the offer.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #6: November 05, 2012, 11:09:00 AM »
He wouldn't accept that QO. He'll get more years and money on the FA market.

And Rizzo looooves draft picks. Loves them. I don't buy that the Nats didn't want to risk it.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #7: November 05, 2012, 11:50:35 AM »
Personally, I don't think he's worth $13.3M.

And if you make that QO, Edwin would have draft pick compensation attached to him which would lower his value in the open market - at least as far as Edwin's salary. So, I think he'd be inclined to take it and I think that the Nats are hoping to get an improvement in the #5 slot - either a better pitcher or a cheaper pitcher.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #8: November 05, 2012, 12:05:13 PM »
$30 million more per team because of the new television money, right? So $13 million isn't what it once was.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #9: November 05, 2012, 12:20:45 PM »
BiL - I disagree is you mean we "can do better" through free agency.  Sad truth is, after Greinke and Sanchez, and Haren if healthy, Jackson is probably the next best pitcher on the market.  I don't think we end up with any of the three others on reasonable terms.  Then we will be looking at injury recovery guys who are overlooked by others, like McCarthy or Marcum, who aren't lower risk / higher reward relative to Jackson.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #10: November 05, 2012, 12:53:43 PM »
BiL - I disagree is you mean we "can do better" through free agency.  Sad truth is, after Greinke and Sanchez, and Haren if healthy, Jackson is probably the next best pitcher on the market.  I don't think we end up with any of the three others on reasonable terms.  Then we will be looking at injury recovery guys who are overlooked by others, like McCarthy or Marcum, who aren't lower risk / higher reward relative to Jackson.

Unless the Nats trade a combination or all of Rendon, Meyer, and Goodwin, you are very right.  I don't see the Nats having the "bullets" to trade prospects for a guy like Shields or Price.  No team that I know of right now is shopping MLB pitchers for MLB talent but someone can always call Jack Zduriencik and inquire about the King!

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #11: November 05, 2012, 12:58:47 PM »
Personally, I don't think he's worth $13.3M.

And if you make that QO, Edwin would have draft pick compensation attached to him which would lower his value in the open market - at least as far as Edwin's salary. So, I think he'd be inclined to take it and I think that the Nats are hoping to get an improvement in the #5 slot - either a better pitcher or a cheaper pitcher.

I agree with you. I also think that the Nats might offer him less than what he made this past season if he doesn't sign elsewhere by January. I do not think his value rose at all in 2012 and because of it I think he may have a few offers of two years and a AAV of what Pittsburgh offered last year but not more.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #12: November 05, 2012, 01:18:56 PM »
I agree with you. I also think that the Nats might offer him less than what he made this past season if he doesn't sign elsewhere by January. I do not think his value rose at all in 2012 and because of it I think he may have a few offers of two years and a AAV of what Pittsburgh offered last year but not more.

Agreed, maybe Edwin comes back at $20M over 2 years. MLB Radio was talking about Edwin last week and reported that he shouldn't expect many multi-year offers, since he didn't get them last year. But i'm pretty sure that they mis-spoke. I think Edwin got multi-year offers, but he got them from crappy teams.

Offline Once an Expos Fan

• Nos Amours
« Reply #13: November 05, 2012, 02:47:59 PM »
Because we're better off with a better pitcher than him. He proved once again last year why no one will commit to him like he and Boras believe(d) - he's not reliable over the course of a full season. One of the more moronic moves Davey made was pitching him in relief in Game 5.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #14: November 05, 2012, 02:59:54 PM »
One of the more moronic moves Davey made was pitching him in relief in Game 5.

I would say "one of the few..." rather than "one of the more...".  Davey was definitely asleep at the wheel and it was indeed a moronic move.  But you can count his moronic moves over the course of the season on one hand.

Offline Once an Expos Fan

• Nos Amours
« Reply #15: November 05, 2012, 03:02:42 PM »
I would say "one of the few..." rather than "one of the more...".  Davey was definitely asleep at the wheel and it was indeed a moronic move.  But you can count his moronic moves over the course of the season on one hand.

I concur. Did not mean that as a slight against Davey, he was everything and more we could have needed as a manager this year.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #16: November 05, 2012, 03:11:16 PM »
One of the more moronic moves Davey made was pitching him in relief in Game 5.

I hated the move at the time, but I actually liked the move in hindsight when I was thinking about it the next day. Turning to a veteran when your entire roster (except a couple veterans) was playing like a group of scared little babies just waiting to lose made a lot of sense.

Because we're better off with a better pitcher than him. He proved once again last year why no one will commit to him like he and Boras believe - he's not reliable over the course of a full season.

How many pitchers are? Also:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/john-danks-the-left-handed-edwin-jackson/

Offline NationalHeat

« Reply #17: November 05, 2012, 03:16:03 PM »
Boras not his agent anymore- but could have still done this in good faith.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #18: November 06, 2012, 07:17:02 AM »
Jackson was a different pitcher in the 1st and 2nd half of the season.  Not making an offer was a good idea

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #19: November 06, 2012, 08:23:42 AM »
I would like a workhorse type for the 5th starter.  Someone who can pitch at least 6 if not 7 innings, even if they give up an extra run every couple of games or so.  No more 5 inning starts.  Maybe that can take some of the pressure off the bullpen. 

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #20: November 06, 2012, 03:46:30 PM »
I would like a workhorse type for the 5th starter.  Someone who can pitch at least 6 if not 7 innings, even if they give up an extra run every couple of games or so.  No more 5 inning starts.  Maybe that can take some of the pressure off the bullpen. 

Sounds like John Lannan?

(And I don't know why the team did not make an offer to Jackson, unless Rizzo and Davey decided that Jackson was simply not as good as they wanted. He was unpredictable: brilliant, then bombed, then brilliant, then crushed...)

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #21: November 07, 2012, 08:50:03 PM »
Edwin may be a great guy but his playoff perfomances have been lackluster to say the least.

Offline nobleisthyname

« Reply #22: November 07, 2012, 08:53:54 PM »
Sounds like John Lannan?

(And I don't know why the team did not make an offer to Jackson, unless Rizzo and Davey decided that Jackson was simply not as good as they wanted. He was unpredictable: brilliant, then bombed, then brilliant, then crushed...)

Maybe, but I really hope not. John Lannan at his best is essentially Edwin Jackson at his worst (ignoring Jackson's early years). Rizzo can do better than staying in house for the #5 starter.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #23: November 07, 2012, 08:55:42 PM »
I don't remember Lannan being the type to reliably get into the 7th inning.  I thought of him more of a 5 inning guy.  Maybe I'm being unfair to him.

Offline Squab

• Global Moderator
  • me lookin at the bullpen
« Reply #24: November 07, 2012, 09:03:58 PM »
Sounds like John Lannan?

Quote from: Kilgore
Rizzo honest on not giving Jackson a qualifying offer: He liked the free agents available better than Jackson, didn't want to get locked in.
In searching for a starter to replace Jackson, Rizzo said the Nats are "open-minded," not necessarily looking for a veteran type.

Lannan's definitely more of a five inning guy than a workhorse.