Author Topic: NFL Thread (2012-13)  (Read 53340 times)

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
Re: NFL Thread (2012)
« Reply #601: July 16, 2012, 02:03:57 PM »
Da Bears and Matt Forte Oz of Freedom agree to a 4-year $32m deal.  Hell yeah!!!

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #602: July 21, 2012, 12:55:30 AM »
Dang, son.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #603: July 21, 2012, 08:52:41 AM »

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #604: August 02, 2012, 12:09:14 PM »
Replacement refs in the pre-season matches? Bring 'em on, says the Commish: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/goodell-comfortable-replacement-refs-171909471--nfl.html

Offline NatsDad14

Randy Lerner sells the Cleveland Browns
« Reply #605: August 03, 2012, 02:12:09 AM »
Randy Lerner has reached a deal to sell the Cleveland Browns to truck-stop magnate Jimmy Haslam.

The deal is worth more than $1 billion, league sources said.

The sale of the Browns is laid out in two parts. Haslam will take over controlling interest of the Browns for more than $700 million. Then, in the second phase of the purchase, he will pay more than $300 million to complete the deal.

"This is a very exciting time for my family and me," Haslam said through the team in a statement Thursday announcing the agreement between the sides.

"To own such a storied franchise as the Cleveland Browns, with its rich tradition and history, is a dream come true. We are committed to keeping the team in Cleveland and seeing it get back to the elite of the NFL -- something all Browns fans want and deserve."

Paperwork between the two sides was completed Thursday morning.

NFL ownership is expected to approve Haslam's purchase at its October meeting. Commissioner Roger Goodell could expedite the process by calling a special meeting, although that is considered unlikely.

The NFL helped bring Haslam to Lerner so that a sale could be completed smoothly, efficiently and with a high probability of success. Haslam had informed the league how much he wanted to buy a team, and Lerner -- who is more interested in his soccer team (Aston Villa in England) -- was interested in selling the Browns.

Haslam is president and CEO of Knoxville, Tenn.-based Pilot Flying J, the largest operator of travel centers and travel plazas in North America with more than 550 retail locations. He is the older brother of Tennessee Gov. Bill Haslam, who also worked for the family business before he was elected mayor of Knoxville in 2003 and again in 2007, then governor in 2010.

The Browns have been owned by the Lerner family since 1999, when the franchise was reborn after the original club moved to Baltimore. The late Al Lerner, Randy's father, purchased the inactive franchise from the NFL in 1998 for $530 million.

Randy Lerner, 50, inherited the Browns in 2002 following his father's death.

Some fans have been unhappy with Randy Lerner, long criticizing him as a disengaged owner of a club that has made the playoffs just once since it was recreated.

Haslam has been a minority investor in the Pittsburgh Steelers and in a 2010 profile told the team's website that he had been a Dallas Cowboys and then an Indianapolis Colts fan. But with the Pittsburgh investment, Haslam said he had become "1,000 percent a Steelers fan." The Steelers, of course, are the Browns' chief rivals.

Asked if he was surprised by the deal, Browns president Mike Holmgren said: "On one hand, the surprising part was the time of the year. But in this business, I gave up being surprised a long time ago."

Haslam has begun to make plans with the Rooney family to sell the portion of the Steelers that he owns. By the time his purchase of the Browns becomes official, he no longer is expected to own the percentage of the Steelers that he controls.

As for Haslam possibly moving the franchise, Holmgren emphatically said, "The Cleveland Browns aren't going anywhere."

But the current staff might be if the Browns don't do better than the 4-12 record of 2011, Pat Shurmur's first season as coach. New owners usually bring in their own management team, although Shurmur has impressed many people around the league.

"I have no fear about any of that because I trust my coaches, I trust the players and I've watched the work they've done based on the conversation of this last week," Shurmur said Thursday. "I think we're moving full steam ahead. That doesn't bother me one bit at this point at this point. My concern is getting this team ready to play and our players understand that message and they are doing a good job."

Holmgren would not address his future with the Browns.

"Honestly, my focus is to have guys here concentrating on football, making it business as usual," he said. "The what ifs and hypotheticals, I have to stay away from."

The Browns were valued at $977 million last year by Forbes magazine, 20th in the NFL.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8225861/randy-lerner-sells-cleveland-browns-more-1b-sources-say

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
Re: Randy Lerner sells the Cleveland Browns
« Reply #606: August 03, 2012, 08:04:27 AM »
:roll:

Offline mitlen

« Reply #607: August 03, 2012, 09:29:43 AM »
:roll:

Chhhhhiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeefffffffffff !

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #608: August 03, 2012, 09:39:05 AM »
Any chance we can start a "Who Gives a freak?" section?

Offline mitlen

« Reply #609: August 03, 2012, 09:41:42 AM »

Too many threads  ...

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #610: August 03, 2012, 09:54:03 AM »

...isn't that what the Red Loft is for?

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #611: August 08, 2012, 11:27:34 AM »
ESPN doing some hard-hitting journalism:

Offline Clever

« Reply #612: August 09, 2012, 09:04:08 PM »
ESPN doing some hard-hitting journalism:

(Image removed from quote.)
I cherish the day I called Verizon to cancel my cable subscription.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #613: August 10, 2012, 09:58:36 AM »
I'm so glad the season is just around the corner! With the Nats winning and a sliver of hope for the Skins, it's been a pretty damn good year!

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #614: August 20, 2012, 10:14:38 PM »

Offline mitlen

Offline Tribe Time

• Long Live LYNYRD SKYNYRD!!!
« Reply #617: August 21, 2012, 08:26:02 AM »
I'm so glad the season is just around the corner! With the Nats winning and a sliver of hope for the Skins, it's been a pretty damn good year!

It should be a good year if the Skins play Kirk Cousins.  They overpaid for RG3.  I'd tell you what I think of him but I'd get a bunch of people complaining about it.  lol

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #618: August 21, 2012, 08:34:48 AM »
Waz up?

The Steelers made a "Call Me Maybe" video. Ike Taylor and Lamarr were the best:

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #619: August 21, 2012, 09:02:07 AM »
It should be a good year if the Skins play Kirk Cousins.  They overpaid for RG3.  I'd tell you what I think of him but I'd get a bunch of people complaining about it.  lol

Perhaps they overpaid, perhaps not. If they win with him and win a ring or two, the price will be well worth it. RGIII may not pan out, who knows, but he's the most dynamic qb prospect we've seen in a long long time, if ever. And before someone says Mike Vick, Griffin is a far better passer at this stage than Vick was at the same time. It should also be noted that Vick is a better runner agility wise. Speed is pretty close, but Vick does stuff with his feet that only Barry Sanders did better.

If Griffin does fail, it won't be due to a lack of effort, talent or smarts on his part.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #620: August 21, 2012, 09:03:55 AM »
The Steelers made a "Call Me Maybe" video. Ike Taylor and Lamarr were the best:

Hadn't seen it.   Thanks for the head up.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #621: August 21, 2012, 09:12:56 AM »
Perhaps they overpaid, perhaps not. If they win with him and win a ring or two, the price will be well worth it. RGIII may not pan out, who knows, but he's the most dynamic qb prospect we've seen in a long long time, if ever. And before someone says Mike Vick, Griffin is a far better passer at this stage than Vick was at the same time. It should also be noted that Vick is a better runner agility wise. Speed is pretty close, but Vick does stuff with his feet that only Barry Sanders did better.

If Griffin does fail, it won't be due to a lack of effort, talent or smarts on his part.

Cam Newton is pretty dynamic (4,051 pass yards, 706 rushing yards last year), and Luck matched his 40 time and is basically the same size so he's got some dynamism is he needs it. That said, dynamic is meaningless- pocket passers win not run first qbs, and Griffen isn't even the best passing prospect in his own draft class.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #622: August 21, 2012, 12:55:13 PM »
Cam Newton is pretty dynamic (4,051 pass yards, 706 rushing yards last year), and Luck matched his 40 time and is basically the same size so he's got some dynamism is he needs it. That said, dynamic is meaningless- pocket passers win not run first qbs, and Griffen isn't even the best passing prospect in his own draft class.

Scary thing is... I think Newton is just scratching the surface of his potential.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #623: August 21, 2012, 01:21:01 PM »
Whats the difference between RG3 and Kirk Cousins?

Does Cousins somehow throw better lying on his back?

Offline Tribe Time

• Long Live LYNYRD SKYNYRD!!!
« Reply #624: August 21, 2012, 03:46:10 PM »

Disagree.  RG3 played weaker competition in college and may throw far, but he's not the most accurate passer out there.  I'm all for believing in your team, but I see the Skins fans being greatly disappointed.