Author Topic: Angry Birds Anonymous (sans anonymous)  (Read 3771 times)

Offline Roarin Storen

• #teamlocke
Angry Birds Anonymous (sans anonymous)
« Topic Start: March 24, 2011, 02:21:31 AM »

Discovered Angry Birds a few weeks ago after jailbreaking my iPad. If Angry Birds came in a syringe I'd shoot it up. SO addicting. I've played the reg game all the seasons (Halloween, Christmas, St. Pattys Day, Valentines Day) and am currently almost finished with Rio which came out yesterday (it's a tad different, you're trying to free trapped birds):

What is your favorite/least favorite bird?

I love the black bomb bird and am not a big fan of the green slingshot one, hard to control for me.

Angry Birds

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
Re: Angry Birds Anonymous (sans anonymous)
« Reply #1: March 24, 2011, 02:28:11 AM »
Hate the boomerang bird.

Offline Roarin Storen

• #teamlocke
« Reply #2: March 24, 2011, 02:30:36 AM »
Hate the boomerang bird.

Right???? They could have come up with something much better (though I can't really think of any other ideas for birds). At least he's dished out sparingly. Big red bird is underrated, he does mad damage.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #3: March 24, 2011, 02:32:59 AM »
Huge Red Bird FTW!

Offline Coladar

« Reply #4: March 24, 2011, 04:18:43 AM »
I likewise discovered it about two weeks ago, and it's iPad heroin. I enjoyed PvZ, but this is like crack. It is so addictive it should be banned. I've gone nuts not only getting three stars on every level, which was easy, on both normal and seasons. But additionally, you then try to rank as high as you can.

Now Rio came out a couple days ago, and I can't stop. Get three stars? Not good enough. Must get more points! I spend an insane amount of time on each level so far, and I'm only on the second world with way too much time spent the past couple days. They need to come out with more full games worth of levels more often. I can't imagine having discovered it earlier and having to have waited so long for stuff like Seasons and Rio.

I think the reason it's so insanely fun and addictive is the perfection of level design they implemented. There are a hundred ways to do a level, but usually only that one *perfect* way to get three stars and a ton of points. And then you rely on luck and aiming one pixel over, or hitting the birds power at the right time... It's a fun concept, but the reason it's so great is the amazing job they did on level design. It'd be easy to just throw in a bunch of objects and call it a level, but they take painstaking effort to make the levels extremely complicated in their design despite having dozens of objects in each level, of different types, shapes, sizes and rotations. Truly an amazingly well designed game in addition to having an insanely awesome concept.

Offline Roarin Storen

• #teamlocke
« Reply #5: March 24, 2011, 01:00:06 PM »
I likewise discovered it about two weeks ago, and it's iPad heroin. I enjoyed PvZ, but this is like crack. It is so addictive it should be banned. I've gone nuts not only getting three stars on every level, which was easy, on both normal and seasons. But additionally, you then try to rank as high as you can.

Now Rio came out a couple days ago, and I can't stop. Get three stars? Not good enough. Must get more points! I spend an insane amount of time on each level so far, and I'm only on the second world with way too much time spent the past couple days. They need to come out with more full games worth of levels more often. I can't imagine having discovered it earlier and having to have waited so long for stuff like Seasons and Rio.

I think the reason it's so insanely fun and addictive is the perfection of level design they implemented. There are a hundred ways to do a level, but usually only that one *perfect* way to get three stars and a ton of points. And then you rely on luck and aiming one pixel over, or hitting the birds power at the right time... It's a fun concept, but the reason it's so great is the amazing job they did on level design. It'd be easy to just throw in a bunch of objects and call it a level, but they take painstaking effort to make the levels extremely complicated in their design despite having dozens of objects in each level, of different types, shapes, sizes and rotations. Truly an amazingly well designed game in addition to having an insanely awesome concept.

What are your favorite and least favorite birds?

BTW figured out that if you shoot the green bird in the wrong direction (towards the left) and hit the screen it boomerangs towards everything. So if you don't have much use for it you can use it like any other bird without the swing around (and it's fast).

Offline eckseid

« Reply #6: March 24, 2011, 01:27:11 PM »
Funny this thread should pop up today. Just dl'd Rio about 10minutes ago. Was thinking of getting the seasons one.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #7: March 24, 2011, 07:15:31 PM »
I've played the reg game all the seasons (Halloween, Christmas, St. Pattys Day, Valentines Day) and am currently almost finished with Rio which came out yesterday (it's a tad different, you're trying to free trapped birds):

When you say finished, are you getting three stars on every level?  The levels that are the most fun are easy to finish with one star, but seemingly impossible to get three stars.  I played a ton of Angry Birds late last summer, then started up again with the Christmas and Halloween seasons, but eventually lost interest and never finished them.

Offline Roarin Storen

• #teamlocke
« Reply #8: March 24, 2011, 10:58:54 PM »
When you say finished, are you getting three stars on every level?  The levels that are the most fun are easy to finish with one star, but seemingly impossible to get three stars.  I played a ton of Angry Birds late last summer, then started up again with the Christmas and Halloween seasons, but eventually lost interest and never finished them.

Nah I'm not so concerned with the stars part.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #9: March 26, 2011, 06:55:20 PM »

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #10: March 26, 2011, 07:04:09 PM »

Gotta get three stars, otherwise you're missing out on what makes the game so frustrating.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #11: March 27, 2011, 12:25:41 AM »
Gotta get three stars, otherwise you're missing out on what makes the game so frustrating.

Yeah, I... Am speechless at how someone could enjoy the game without getting three stars. I've been playing Rio hardcore the past week, and I can get three stars pretty easily. My goal is to get at least 10k above 3 stars... Right now I'm ranked #610 in the entire game, and I am still trying to improve, but that is where the game lies. I can finish every level with one star on the first try, yet to encounter more than three levels that's not the case for. The game *is* getting the best score you can, and how that matches to everyone else. Way, way too easy otherwise.

As for favorite bird? The black bomber. Least favorite, the red cardinal.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #12: March 27, 2011, 01:26:07 AM »

Neither am I. I prefer to get three stars, but I'm not going to replay a level just to do so. I play this game to kill time, and frankly it got pretty old after my initial addiction to the original Angry Birds.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #13: March 27, 2011, 09:22:37 AM »
Yeah, I... Am speechless at how someone could enjoy the game without getting three stars. I've been playing Rio hardcore the past week, and I can get three stars pretty easily. My goal is to get at least 10k above 3 stars... Right now I'm ranked #610 in the entire game, and I am still trying to improve, but that is where the game lies. I can finish every level with one star on the first try, yet to encounter more than three levels that's not the case for. The game *is* getting the best score you can, and how that matches to everyone else. Way, way too easy otherwise.

As for favorite bird? The black bomber. Least favorite, the red cardinal.

10K above 3 stars??? Holy crap that's nuts!  Some of those levels are damn near impossible to get three stars on.  A ranking of 610 is huge considering the hundreds of thousands of people playing the game.

After not playing AB since quitting in the middle of the Christmas version, I've been playing the Rio level since yesterday afternoon, making it to level nine.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #14: March 27, 2011, 08:25:54 PM »
10K above 3 stars??? Holy crap that's nuts!  Some of those levels are damn near impossible to get three stars on.  A ranking of 610 is huge considering the hundreds of thousands of people playing the game.

After not playing AB since quitting in the middle of the Christmas version, I've been playing the Rio level since yesterday afternoon, making it to level nine.

Yeah, it's my completist gamer OCD coming out again. I've spent three hours on a level trying to get that "perfect" shot even though I already have three stars. Btw, I am 610 on Rio. 2,759 on the original, but that's only having played it for the past two weeks, and only one week out of the two. The other week has been spent entirely on Rio. I'm actually really disappointed I'm only 610 on Rio. I'm almost 300,000 points from breaking the top 10 on all 60 levels combined, and I don't see how it's possible to get those other 300,000 points. I thought I did damn, damn well getting 4,788,000 on all levels combined in Rio.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #15: March 28, 2011, 05:04:55 AM »
I spent three hours tonight playing to up my rank and had crazy success. Ranked 57 overall out of 124,000 players in Rio with 5,012,050 points. I think I'm now retired until they release more levels in May. I could probably crack the top 25 and be listed, but it's not worth the insane amount of time. I got incredibly lucky on the final level of Rio where you have to kill the bird tonight. Did it with one shot, went from 60,000 which I thought good to 100,509 points. Damn, I'm either good at this game being in the top 60 worldwide or I need a hobby/baseball season needs to start. It's both pleasing and scary at the same time.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #16: March 28, 2011, 04:49:02 PM »
I had to stop playing... I became obsessed with getting three stars on every level.

Eventually I'll start playing again... but Angry Birds and I needed a break.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #17: March 31, 2011, 04:14:11 PM »
its funny, how the same people ( not you guys, just talking in general), who chastise and make fun of gamers for playing real games, go head over heels addicted to casual games like Angry Birds and Farmville and crap like that.

like our games are is bad and childish and immature, and whatnot, but throwing the cartoon birds into cartoon pigs or planting cartoon crops for cartoon animals is so awesome and mature.

and while angry birds is awesome(and I have it on my psp), it is just ironic that many of the same people who obsessively play games like that and farmville and mafia wars and such, are the same people who frown their faces and yell "nerd" and "geek" and "grow up" at someone who is playing WoW or something on Xbox or PS3.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #18: March 31, 2011, 04:47:14 PM »
They can yell "nerd" and "geek" and "grow up" all they want while I'm playing WoW, I'm too busy keeping the party alive on my resto druid or pumping out leet deeps on my arcane mage to hear or worry about it.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #19: April 03, 2011, 05:07:13 AM »
After taking a week off, and dropping from 50something to 177, I spent the past four hours going at it hardcore. I had some incredible luck, and am now ranked 26 out of 177,000 all-time in Rio!!! 5,177,140 points total. Four thousand away from #25. One away from being listed in the top 25 for my name to show up. For the Jungle levels, I'm 24 all-time, so you can see my name ranked. I'm not sure if it's just a sign I don't have a life, or I'm just really good at this game. Probably 25-30 hours total playtime in Rio, so it's not like I've spent days on end. Considering it's out of almost 200,000 players, I'm pretty damn pleased.

So anyone else, either on Rio or the original (Only started playing this game three weeks ago, too many levels for me to try to get ranked in the original. Rio is going to be where I put my emphasis as they release new levels the next few months) anywhere close to being ranked/top 100 or so? Rio is really pretty damn fun, I actually like it more than the original. Now I just need one more level to top my highscore, and I'll be ranked all-time game wide. It's annoying sitting at 26, but I think I can easily find one more level. Damn this game is addictive.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #20: April 04, 2011, 08:18:49 AM »
One more night, finally got my goal. Ranked #16 all-time overall. Boo-Yah, I'm done with this damn game until more levels come in May.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #21: April 07, 2011, 07:33:44 AM »
Obviously I'm alone in my obsession with Angry Birds Rio and at a point where I am just talking to myself, but I managed to get up to #6 all-time out of 200,000 players. Total score for the 60 levels? 5,293,030. the guy at number five is 5,329,130 and. Number seven, 5,282,300. I've got to say, it is pretty damn neat knowing anyone that plays this game, 200,000 people, anytime they check the leader boards there's my name popping up at the top of the list, no scrolling needed.

The game is like a crazy addiction though. I kept trying to get Level 4-5 over and over and over again, I had 82,500 points, and saw someone got 90k. After three hours of trying to do it just freaking perfectly, ultimately changing the order of which birds I used on my location spots, I got 88,920. It's a heck of a thrill when you know you basically have the *perfect* game and score. Doesn't hurt getting another 5k points to overtake someone on the leader board eithers. Damn this game is addictive.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #22: April 07, 2011, 07:40:55 AM »
seek help :P

Offline Coladar

« Reply #23: April 07, 2011, 07:49:07 AM »
seek help :P

:( I'm not an addict, I've got it under control. I know what I'm doing, I can stop at anytime. I just don't want to stop. But it's okay, I'm okay. :)

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #24: April 08, 2011, 01:48:18 PM »
Okay, here in England, they have cell phone advertisements where it says the phone is Angry Birds compatible IN THE AD.