Poll

Who would you rather keep?

Adam LaRoche
68 (60.7%)
Michael Morse
44 (39.3%)

Total Members Voted: 112

Author Topic: Morse or LaRoche  (Read 51704 times)

Offline PC

Re: Morse or LaRoche
« Reply #100: October 24, 2012, 01:30:56 PM »
the rotation was fine this year, if you're talking about post season, Strasburg replaces him. The offense was streaky all season and came up very short in the playoffs

I'd rather not make the assumption that Strasburg, Gonzalez, Zimmermann and Detwiler will be as good as they were last year so I'd try to sign a top of the rotation starter.

And it's not an unsafe assumption to predict that, being his walk year, Morse will have a very good season.  Moore will get quite a few at bats, next season, regardless and, again, Morse is a free agent after next season and Moore would be still another year away from arbitration.  I don't know why we'd rush Morse out of the door when 2014 will settle a lot, by default.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #101: October 24, 2012, 01:44:39 PM »
I'd rather not make the assumption that Strasburg, Gonzalez, Zimmermann and Detwiler will be as good as they were last year so I'd try to sign a top of the rotation starter.

And it's not an unsafe assumption to predict that, being his walk year, Morse will have a very good season.  Moore will get quite a few at bats, next season, regardless and, again, Morse is a free agent after next season and Moore would be still another year away from arbitration.  I don't know why we'd rush Morse out of the door when 2014 will settle a lot, by default.

If we're talking assumptions, assuming the starters will be fine (do you really think four starters that young have all peaked?) is safer than the assuming a consistent offense

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #102: October 24, 2012, 02:23:30 PM »
I'm ok with the assumtion that they'll all be as good or at least similarly good next year.  The assumption that I see as dangerous is that we'll get 150 starts out of whoever our top 5 is out of camp.  That's rare and that's what we got this year which was the reason we were as good as we were.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #103: October 24, 2012, 02:50:29 PM »
Starting pitching is another story. I'd love to see our top 3 guns put up the numbers they did this year.

Offline nobleisthyname

« Reply #104: October 24, 2012, 04:21:32 PM »
Going a bit more in depth with Moore vs Morse:

Moore was the superior hitter last year, in every category but average and K% (Morse was only slightly better there though).

Moore's .wOBA: .361
Morse's .wOBA: .340

Moore's wRC+: 127
Morse's wRC+: 113

Moore's BB/K: 0.30
Morse's BB/K: 0.16

And my favorite

Moore's HR/FB%: 23.8% with a 38.2% fly ball rate.
Morse's HR/FB%: 23.4% with a 24.6% fly ball rate.

When these guys put the ball in the air they put it out of the park at roughly the same rate but Moore put the ball in the air ~14% more often.

I'm confident that Morse's downturn from his 2011 campaign is related to injuries but my concern is his ability to avoid another injury filled season again. And going by the numbers, if you like Morse, you should also like Moore.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #105: October 25, 2012, 12:07:16 AM »
We need to start a LaRoche count-down, hopefully they work out a deal over the weekend and announce it immediately after the WS.   They've got until 5 days after the end of the WS.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #106: October 25, 2012, 12:10:57 AM »
Sign them all -- whole team except for deRosa...3B coach. players get hurt...the Nats need them all

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #107: October 25, 2012, 07:27:11 AM »
In virtually every thread concerning the roster I have stated that it only needs to be tweaked . Possibly replace EJ ( which I favor) and we will need several RP's to replace Burnett and Gonzalez though I now see a possibility of Gonzalez staying because he is a lefty. We have in house candidates in Garcia, Kimball and I shudder at the thought of HRod returning but it is not my call.

To the posters on here who are suggesting wholesale changes or astronomical signings of FA and a block buster acquisition of a SP ,I simply ask "Do you know who you are dealing with?" Besides the acquition of Gio and Werth the season previously this is a FO and ownership that doesn't make radical movements. They are prudent and cautious in everything they do.

Some of their thinking must be, "we won 98 games with key position players cumatively missing a whole season ( not counting Ramos). If we can avoid that with corrective surgeries in the off season why can't we win 100 +". Zim , Morse ( I think) are scheduled and Desmond and Espi should be soon. Werth needs to strengthen his wrist and regain the power he lost. I just believe it isn't going to happen the way some armchair GM's are speculating.

I don't think Flores gets traded until after OD and we see how Ramos fares.If ALR re-signs and I pray that he does Morse shoild not be traded. Anyone on the roster can replace his defense but I don't believe Moore can take up the offensive slack over a full season. Let him come off the bench next season and work him in . Let him spell the corner OF's and 1B. Get him 300 PA .

Offline NationalHeat

« Reply #108: October 25, 2012, 08:39:43 AM »
I actually think we will at least kick the tires on Greinke.

I agree with your central premise that we are a cautious team by nature, but Rizzo clearly likes certain guys, and he has liked him now for years. Look at how we went back and got E-Jax years after we were rumored to trade for him.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #109: October 25, 2012, 08:53:49 AM »
I actually think we will at least kick the tires on Greinke.

I agree with your central premise that we are a cautious team by nature, but Rizzo clearly likes certain guys, and he has liked him now for years. Look at how we went back and got E-Jax years after we were rumored to trade for him.

I think we will kick the tires on a bunch of players but we will never know it. No one knew that we were negotiating for Werth and Gio .This is an organization that believes in "loose lips sink ships".

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #110: October 25, 2012, 02:33:08 PM »
I agree with aspen: this team is solid, assuming they re-sign LaRoche. [Note: not "resign"]. Just some tweaks in the relief pitching, maybe, and a decision about a 5th starter.

Does anybody really know why sometimes Edwin Jackson is awesome and sometimes he's awful?

On Moore / Morse, we can hope that Moore will hit well as a regular, but we can't really extrapolate from his 175 AB's to say he will certainly hit 35 homers.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #111: October 25, 2012, 04:48:24 PM »
I agree with aspen: this team is solid, assuming they re-sign LaRoche. [Note: not "resign"]. Just some tweaks in the relief pitching, maybe, and a decision about a 5th starter.

Does anybody really know why sometimes Edwin Jackson is awesome and sometimes he's awful?

On Moore / Morse, we can hope that Moore will hit well as a regular, but we can't really extrapolate from his 175 AB's to say he will certainly hit 35 homers.

Yeah , just a bunch of old farts agreeing

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #112: October 26, 2012, 02:39:16 PM »
I'd be fine with letting LaRoche go.  They could end up with 3 first round draft picks if they let LaRoche and Edwin Jackson go after giving them qualifying offers. 

Put Morse at 1B and just get a relatively inexpensive outfielder to keep money available for another good starting pitcher and bullpen help.  Moore fills in at 1B and LF once a week.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #113: October 26, 2012, 03:36:55 PM »
Adam Kilgore ‏@AdamKilgoreWP

Adam LaRoche says there's been some progress in his ongoing contract talks with the Nats. http://wapo.st/Y4nNge

Offline Ray D

« Reply #114: October 26, 2012, 03:39:57 PM »
The article say he "played above-average defense".   Who would Kilgore suggest plays better defense at first base?

Offline monkeyhit

« Reply #115: October 26, 2012, 06:35:03 PM »
Adam has them over a barrel. They give him a big contract or he can get it elsewhere easily.

He sounds as if he really wants to stay, however, and is in no hurry to get it done.  Why would he?

I think Morse is pretty much gone if they can get anything for him.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #116: October 26, 2012, 06:51:37 PM »
Adam Kilgore ‏@AdamKilgoreWP

Adam LaRoche says there's been some progress in his ongoing contract talks with the Nats. http://wapo.st/Y4nNge

Translation: Nats added another year to their offer. :lol:

Offline nobleisthyname

« Reply #117: October 26, 2012, 08:19:24 PM »
The article say he "played above-average defense".   Who would Kilgore suggest plays better defense at first base?

Albert Pujols, Adrian Gonzalez, Mark Teixeira are all excellent defensive firstbasemen. Adam LaRoche is definitely great though.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #118: October 26, 2012, 10:24:47 PM »
Albert Pujols, Adrian Gonzalez, Mark Teixeira are all excellent defensive firstbasemen. Adam LaRoche is definitely great though.

The top four are the four you mentioned IMO.  Brandon Belt will soon assume a top spot though.  Ike Davis actually isn't a bad defender either.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #119: October 26, 2012, 10:53:28 PM »
Since everyone but ALR is in the AL, does that make him a candidate for the 1B Gold Glove?

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #120: October 26, 2012, 11:21:36 PM »
Link to Fangraphs UZR leaders for 1B in 2012

LaRoche is near the top of the list.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #121: October 26, 2012, 11:25:09 PM »
Man, this is tough. I like em both but I have a sentimental side for Morse. There's just something about the guy that makes me like him. He seems like he's a great teammate as does LaRoche. I have no idea who I'd rather have to be honest, shame we can't have both.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #122: October 27, 2012, 06:08:23 AM »
I have no idea who I'd rather have to be honest, shame we can't have both.

We can and we will.

Offline nicksnats

• Uk Natitude!
« Reply #123: October 27, 2012, 07:45:49 AM »
Id keep Morse. What would the team be without The Beast and 'Take on me'?!?

In all seriousness, i think LaRoche has a higher value and could be used in order to upgrade our roster. But trade for who? another 1B? or do we need to address lack of speed in the outfield?

We could just keep both... ;)

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #124: October 31, 2012, 09:38:52 AM »
I read this morning that ALR is seeking anywhere between 33-36 mil over three years. I say give it to him by Saturday. We spent 11 mil on EJax and got average results that could have been easily equaled by Lannan at 5 mil.The GG also makes ALR more attractive to bidding teams.