Author Topic: Ian Desmond Appreciation Thread  (Read 32775 times)

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
Re: King Ian Desmond Appreciation Thread
« Reply #100: August 06, 2010, 03:20:58 PM »
bump

from mlb.com:

hopefully he keeps this up and plays better defense.  it'd be nice to see him cut down on the errors the last two months of the season, draw a few more walks and continue to collect extra base hits.

and even with this hot streak, his OPS is STILL .693.

his .OBP is .294 on the season. If Nyjer Morgan's was that low, everyone would be calling for his head.

just saying.

where does Desmond rank on the VORP list now?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #101: August 06, 2010, 03:32:14 PM »
Desmond is Top 10 in 2B's, HR's and SB's among SS's.

He is also 8th worst in the entire league in walk rate at 4.2%

If he showed any plate discipline at all, he'd probably be a really good offensive SS. As is, he's severely held back by a terrible approach to his at-bats.

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
« Reply #102: August 06, 2010, 03:32:43 PM »
and even with this hot streak, his OPS is STILL .693.

his .OBP is .294 on the season. If Nyjer Morgan's was that low, everyone would be calling for his head.

just saying.

where does Desmond rank on the VORP list now?

See this is why I want to know expected improvement. I would like my middle of the field players to OPS around .750 of course I want the top of the order to be more O and the bottom to be more S. I think the bottom of the order would be more dangerous with suprise power and the top of the order is more dangerous with on base skills. Even though it is Nyjer's first full year playing he is still 30 and he should already be where we want Desmond to be in a year or two. maybe I will look up some rookies myself and see by what percentage they improved in their second year.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #103: August 06, 2010, 03:34:38 PM »
See this is why I want to know expected improvement. I would like my middle of the field players to OPS around .750 of course I want the top of the order to be more O and the bottom to be more S. I think the bottom of the order would be more dangerous with suprise power and the top of the order is more dangerous with on base skills. Even though it is Nyjer's first full year playing he is still 30 and he should already be where we want Desmond to be in a year or two. maybe I will look up some rookies myself and see by what percentage they improved in their second year.

Only 6 SS's have an OPS of .750 or above. Only 10 have an OPS of .700 or above.

SS is a defense first position. Ian can be a great defender... and he can be an above average offensive SS. It all depends on how much he's willing to work at his approach.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #104: August 06, 2010, 03:43:21 PM »
maybe I will look up some rookies myself and see by what percentage they improved in their second year.

BP gives expected career tracks based on similiar players' career paths. It's not too accurate with small sample sizes, and it's behind a paywall, but if you're really curious, you might want to see if they have a free trial.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #105: August 06, 2010, 03:46:35 PM »
I could easily see him as a 30 2B, 5 3B, 15 HR, 15 SB guy in his prime.

Hit around .270 with an improved walk rate.

Would be a solid starting SS.

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
« Reply #106: August 06, 2010, 03:49:19 PM »
Only 6 SS's have an OPS of .750 or above. Only 10 have an OPS of .700 or above.

SS is a defensive first position. Ian can be a great defender... and he can be an above average offensive SS. It all depends on how much he's willing to work at his approach.

Well I would like my short stop to be one of those six. I also want at least an .900 OPS from my corner positions. Of course if I have a first baseman with a 1.000 OPS then I am willing to take it from another position so I could settle for an up the middle guy to be .650. My ideal line-up would be broken down like this.

pitcher

So excluding the pitcher I would want the total OPS of my line-up to be 6.600 or an average between the eight positions of 0.825. This is all ideal of course, but if I were putting a team together I would try to get my line-up as close as possible to these numbers, and like i said before i would be willing to take from somewhere else. Also if we suddenly had a plus offensice catcher so I could move the numbers around my line-up making it maybe look like this.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #107: August 06, 2010, 03:55:02 PM »
Desmond is Top 10 in 2B's, HR's and SB's among SS's.

which only shows that there are very few quality offensive SS in baseball.

I just don't get why folks seem so eager to ignore Desmond's terrible stats.  I mean seriously...

If Nyjer Morgan or Adam Kennedy or Roger Bernadina put up a .260/.294/.399 line and played defense like Desmond does, everyone would be howling for him to be replaced.

what gives?

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
« Reply #108: August 06, 2010, 03:58:34 PM »
http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/team/_/stat/batting

Boston is the only team with in .20 of my ideal line-up. Of course when the pitcher is factored in I am sure that would drop my ideal quite a bit.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #109: August 06, 2010, 04:04:08 PM »
which only shows that there are very few quality offensive SS in baseball.

I just don't get why folks seem so eager to ignore Desmond's terrible stats.  I mean seriously...

If Nyjer Morgan or Adam Kennedy or Roger Bernadina put up a .260/.294/.399 line and played defense like Desmond does, everyone would be howling for him to be replaced.

what gives?

I certainly don't think he's all that good, now. But I do recognize the potential in what he could become with refinement.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #110: August 06, 2010, 10:33:17 PM »
People keep track of every other damn number in baseball so are there any reports on what the expected improvement year to year for a player is?

PECOTA projections by BP.

Online welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #111: August 06, 2010, 11:02:03 PM »
Desmond has to steady his fielding. He has range and he has an arm, but he's still not someone you can depend on absolutely. As long as he can start a 1-out DP with a runner on 3rd, hitting .265 with 10 HR is great.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #112: August 06, 2010, 11:03:46 PM »

If he showed any plate discipline at all, he'd probably be a really good offensive SS. As is, he's severely held back by a terrible approach to his at-bats.

Good start. :)

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
« Reply #113: August 07, 2010, 08:53:36 AM »
PECOTA projections by BP.

Seems like everything I want I have to pay for. Might be worth it though.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #114: August 07, 2010, 09:19:31 AM »
bump

Last night is a perfect example of what he is capable of doing

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #115: August 07, 2010, 09:25:58 AM »
Seems like everything I want I have to pay for. Might be worth it though.

I subscribed for a while, there are usually articles worth reading, but the subscription just seemed like an easy thing to cut out

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #116: August 07, 2010, 02:15:07 PM »
Every time I glance over thread titles and see this one, I think it says "King Diamond Appreciation Thread" and I'm like "there's another King Diamond fan on the board!? :shock: "

Offline amanuel

• what the hell is going on out there?
    • RBSL
« Reply #117: August 14, 2010, 01:30:38 AM »
Im not drooling all over sayin Desmond is the future of this franchise but almost at the end of his rookie campaign and is putting up decent numbers. Last few games hes been on a hot streak and look at his numbers this year so far

265.BA/300.OBP/415.SLG
9 HR
48 RBI's
20 2B
12 stolen bases

Id stilll like to see his walk/strike ratio go up a bit and lessen his mistakes but I think that will come with time. Any thoughts? I remeber a few people demanding him to get sent down to the minors and I told people just to relax and hes coming through.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #118: August 14, 2010, 01:42:19 AM »
Any thoughts?
Don't remember where I saw it, maybe on the broadcast, but his numbers are strikingly similar to Hanley Ramirez's numbers when he was a rookie, at least offensively.

Offline Burgess

• K MONSTER!
« Reply #119: August 14, 2010, 02:41:37 AM »
Ian Desmond is good but he isnt Jeter like good ( was compared to him). However he is a way better option then Guzman. Him and Espinosa are gonna be fun to watch. A good SS and a good future 2B, was about time.

Offline KyleScha

« Reply #120: August 14, 2010, 07:49:29 AM »
Don't remember where I saw it, maybe on the broadcast, but his numbers are strikingly similar to Hanley Ramirez's numbers when he was a rookie, at least offensively.

Ramirez had 46 doubles, 51 steals an an OPS of .833 his rookie year, while being 2 years younger.  Desmond's OPS i barely above .700 . However Desmond has the potential of being a type of defensive infielder Hanley could never even dream of. If Desmond can cut down on the errors and OPS around .750 he will be vary valuable, though. I think he'll get there he just has to get that plate discipline under control...he's got all the tools to be a great hitter if he can just work the pitcher a bit.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #121: August 14, 2010, 12:30:17 PM »
I will say that Desmond has had a solid season. He's turned it on as of late. He's pretty good at driving runs in. We can do worse at SS.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #122: August 15, 2010, 01:00:52 PM »
Im not drooling all over sayin Desmond is the future of this franchise but almost at the end of his rookie campaign and is putting up decent numbers. Last few games hes been on a hot streak and look at his numbers this year so far

265.BA/300.OBP/415.SLG
9 HR
48 RBI's
20 2B
12 stolen bases

Id stilll like to see his walk/strike ratio go up a bit and lessen his mistakes but I think that will come with time. Any thoughts? I remeber a few people demanding him to get sent down to the minors and I told people just to relax and hes coming through.
He can't be an everyday SS unless his OBP gets over .320.  Really I would want closer to .340.  I think eventually he will be a better than average defender, with his range making up for his unsteadiness.  He's made some progress in terms of +/- and UZR, digging himself out of the hole he was in in May and June to the point where he is near neutral.  He has plus power for a SS, but that OBP cannot stay in worse than Guzzie career levels for him to be anything.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #123: August 15, 2010, 04:21:56 PM »
He can't be an everyday SS unless his OBP gets over .320.  Really I would want closer to .340.  I think eventually he will be a better than average defender, with his range making up for his unsteadiness.  He's made some progress in terms of +/- and UZR, digging himself out of the hole he was in in May and June to the point where he is near neutral.  He has plus power for a SS, but that OBP cannot stay in worse than Guzzie career levels for him to be anything.

Its his first full season dude.  The obp will go up, the errors will go down...its all good in natstown 8)

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #124: August 15, 2010, 06:01:07 PM »
Its his first full season dude.  The obp will go up, the errors will go down...its all good in natstown 8)
Hope so.  I'm more skeptical about his offense than others.  I'm also less skeptical about his defense.  It's just when those offensive stats were quoted, I did not think that a .300 OBP was OK.  That has to come up.  IF it does not, I'm pleased our Plan B (Espinosa) looks good, too.  No hole in the most important IF position.