Author Topic: How old are u? and were you a ex spos fan?  (Read 6000 times)

Ryan Zimmerman

How old are u? and were you a ex spos fan?
« Topic Start: July 08, 2005, 06:49:45 PM »
I just turned 15 and I started being a spos fan when I was 3.I almost cried when the spos...quit Montreal for real.LOL, don't laugh.

I don't know if I should cheer for the Nats but I do...I LOVE BASEBALL too much because montrealers are DISGUSTED!!!!!!! They don't want to ever hear something about Baseball.I don't feel the same feeling when the nats win because the spos were my real team.I live in Montreal btw...

Go nats...

What about you?

visionary

« Reply #1: July 09, 2005, 11:30:45 AM »
I'm 23, years old, and I was not really an Expos fan, though I did follow them occasionally the past few years because I had a feeling that they might end up in DC at some point.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #2: July 09, 2005, 11:34:48 AM »
Not sure whether I was an expos fan or just more a fan of most of the guys who played for the expos long-term.  If that makes any sense.  But yes, I followed the Expos for many years before they came to D.C.

DelNatsFan

« Reply #3: July 09, 2005, 12:01:19 PM »
I posted this a long time ago on the mlb board (How did you become a Nationals fan?) I have taken some heat for my stance on other boards, but I stand by my convictions. To be fair, Nats fans have not killed me for this, but anyway, here's my story in a nutshell.

I'm 35 and an ex-yankee fan. NOT because of their '05 woes. I grew up in the Bronx, 20 minutes from Yankee Stadium. I loved them going back to the Bronx Zoo days and remained fiercely loyal thru my College years in Philly (Villanova) and since moving to Wilmington in '91.
  In March of '04 I made my first (and last) trip to their Spring Training complex in Tampa for 3 games. Everywhere you turned somone on the Gestapo staff was trying to handle you or threaten you and made the experience miserable. Some felt it necessary to berate women trying to get autographs near the dugout. I worked in customer service for 12 years and if I treated people like that I wouldn't have lasted 12 hours.
I wrote them 2x and received no reply. I boycotted them for the summer and since there was no reply I divorced them. I could no longer support an organazation that treats its hard-working, paying fans like garbage.I thoroughly enjoyed the Red Sox victory in October.  
  Anyway, when they announced that the Expos were moving to DC, I decided to adopt them and get a fresh start the same way the organization was. What a ride it's been! Not only by the way the team has played, but also the very fan-friendly atmosphere created in RFK have won me over permanently. I will still acknowledge my roots since there are many great childhood memories of the Yanks, but otherwise the divorce is final.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #4: July 09, 2005, 12:03:34 PM »
I'm OLD, very very OLD... And everyone who knows me, knows I've been an Expos fan ever since I switched over from being a Cards fan sometime during the 69 season.

BTW, go check out my avatars page, there's one of Ryan Zimmerman that's MUCH SMALLER than that huge sucker you have.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #5: July 09, 2005, 12:16:15 PM »
Indeed...  RZ, please refer to this thread: http://nationalsforum.net/viewtopic.php?t=82

If you need any help resizing your av, just let me know.

luckyexposfan

« Reply #6: July 09, 2005, 12:28:54 PM »
24, been an expos fan for about 3 years before they came to DC.  I just like rooting for the underdog.  I live not far from DC, so when I heard my favorite underdog team was coming to my backyard, you can imagine how happy I was :D

Offline rileyn

« Reply #7: July 09, 2005, 10:11:02 PM »
I'm 35 and I was an O's fan before this year (because I never had a team here to root for).  I alsways felt like I was a visitor inBaltimore because I am a DC guy. It was easy for me to adopt the Nats, but what surprised even me is how quickly I dropped the O's as my team.  I now watch them only to hope they lose.  This is what Peter Angelos created.  Rather than having me still follow the O's he forced me to take sides.  It is a no-brainer.  DC all the way and I love my Nats.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #8: July 10, 2005, 09:20:01 PM »
The short answers to your questions are "46", and "no".

The essay below is a more circuitous way of getting there.  Apologies to those who have already read this juvenile composition prepared under the influence of legal intoxicants, as I have posted it previously on the MLB site.

If you havent' followed the Orioles from the 80's or so, this won't make any sense at all.
-------------------------------------------------------------
In the beginning, there were the Senators.

But, then came the dark ages.

Sometime around 1980 or so, there appeared some rays of sunshine from the Northeast, and we began to take voyages through that city to a place where real baseball was played, where quality reigned. I, too, was seduced by this force. Along came '82, and trailing by 4 games to the Brewers, "we" won the first 3, before falling just short in the final contest. It was okay, because our time was almost there. And it was still not possible to get to the house of worship by the same route twice.

And the Nati' Premiums were $1.45.

And then came 1983, and we shouted "ED - DEE" and "LEN-NEE" and it seemed very good.

But then EBW passed away, and it was not quite as good.

And came the new place of worship, and it was pretty, and it was closer, and looked so good on the outside, but it was beginning to rot on the inside.

And the Nati' Premiums were no longer $1.45. And there were signs that told you how to get there and people writing down your license plate state and cranky sluggers with mysterious ailments, and labor strife and it was even less good.

Then we said goodbye to Oates and D. Johnson and J. Miller and were told that the new guys were better. But they weren't. So we switched off our radios and stopped spending our non-fan money. But it seemed everybody had tickets they weren't using so sometimes we took the family to see a game. But it wasn't the same.

Then "they" said they owned me and my fan loyalty and my radio listening and television watching and I was dismayed. They said they had seen me at the old place and the new place and that I couldn't leave, but I was suffocating. They told me I was not a true fan and I didn't deserve my own team but that I should support their team and I was enraged.

Then, just as I had begun to give up hope, came the sunshine. And it warmed me, and uplifted me, and it is good again. And it is a continuum: Hondo, Casanova, Pena, Brinkman, McMullen, Harrah, Unser, Bosman, McGraw,
Wilkerson, Hernandez, Schneider, Church......

And I am home again, at peace.

natslive

« Reply #9: July 10, 2005, 09:59:01 PM »
I'm 43 and suspect one of the few females on this board.....I've followed the Expos off and on ever since 98 as my favorite player is Vladimir Guerrero - first saw him when he played for Harrisburg.  We've also seen a lot of the current Nats (Wilky, Jamey, Church (with the Indians), Schneider, Nick (with the Yankees) make their way thru the minors. I've always been a big baseball fan - went to Senators games with my dad when I was a kid, then they left town and I kinda followed the Orioles, then I really got interested in minor league baseball - much more fun so attended mostly minor league games over the past 10 years (my husband and I avg over 100 games a year at various parks - go to Frederick, Bowie, Delmarva, Hagerstown, Harrisburg, Wilmington here as well as travel and yes we do have jobs!  - that's the one question I frequently get asked) but when we found out the Expos were moving here we decided to get season tickets as my husband has been waiting 33 years for his beloved Senators to return to town......

visionary

« Reply #10: July 10, 2005, 10:03:19 PM »
Quote from: "natslive"
I'm 43 and suspect one of the few females on this board.....I've followed the Expos off and on ever since 98 as my favorite player is Vladimir Guerrero - first saw him when he played for Harrisburg.  We've also seen a lot of the current Nats (Wilky, Jamey, Church (with the Indians), Schneider, Nick (with the Yankees) make their way thru the minors. I've always been a big baseball fan - went to Senators games with my dad when I was a kid, then they left town and I kinda followed the Orioles, then I really got interested in minor league baseball - much more fun so attended mostly minor league games over the past 10 years (my husband and I avg over 100 games a year at various parks - go to Frederick, Bowie, Delmarva, Hagerstown, Harrisburg, Wilmington here as well as travel and yes we do have jobs!  - that's the one question I frequently get asked) but when we found out the Expos were moving here we decided to get season tickets as my husband has been waiting 33 years for his beloved Senators to return to town......

I don't mean to pry, but are you sharing the id/acount with your husband?

:wink:

I noticed in two posts where you mentioned a husband and one where you mentioned having a wife at least twice...

:lol:

natslive

« Reply #11: July 10, 2005, 11:29:32 PM »
yes we are sharing the account.......or else we are really confused :)

Offline The Chief

« Reply #12: July 10, 2005, 11:31:00 PM »
Quote from: "natslive"
yes we are sharing the account.......or else we are really confused :)

Lucky guy, I only hope I can find such a wise and understanding woman someday ;)

DelNatsFan

« Reply #13: July 11, 2005, 10:49:57 AM »
"(my husband and I avg over 100 games a year at various parks - go to Frederick, Bowie, Delmarva, Hagerstown, Harrisburg, Wilmington here as well as travel."

When's your next visit to the Blue Rocks?

Montcobaseball

« Reply #14: July 11, 2005, 02:10:49 PM »
I never cared one hoot for the Expos, probably didn't know two players on their roster at any given time, have never entered the front door of Camden Yards, been to one Orioles game in my life and that was in 1985, probably attended over 200 Keys games since they moved to Frederick, and now I don't think I have missed one inning of a Nats game this season.  They are giving me heart failure!

BigGameHunter32

« Reply #15: July 11, 2005, 08:54:31 PM »
Montcobaseball, my story is more or less like yours.

I barely noted that the spos existed. The only major league team I'd seen live until the nats had been the O's a few times in the mid 90s. Now the nationals are here and all is right with the world.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #16: July 13, 2005, 09:31:14 PM »
about to turn 15, im a hardcore NHL fan and really missed the Caps this year. i needed something to follow this summer instead of the NHL offseason, so at the beginning of the year i started following the nats. ive been hooked on em ever since.

Ryan Zimmerman

« Reply #17: July 13, 2005, 10:11:34 PM »
Quote from: "Nats19"
about to turn 15, im a hardcore NHL fan and really missed the Caps this year. i needed something to follow this summer instead of the NHL offseason, so at the beginning of the year i started following the nats. ive been hooked on em ever since.

You're young.

Hockey is back so your caps...will be back...

I'm the russian phenom (Oveckin) comes to NA...the transfer fees will cost alot but I think, he'll come since the lockout is over...

I'm a DIE HARD HABS FAN!!!!!

I'm also very knowledgeable while talking about hockey so if you have any questions...about the caps or the new cab just ask.

Mandy

« Reply #18: July 14, 2005, 10:50:59 PM »
I too am a die hard Caps fan.  Missing the season for sure.  I started watching the Nats with my boyfriend.  It's great having a team in DC.  

Oh yeah...I am 23 :)

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #19: July 15, 2005, 12:28:39 PM »
ive never really been into baseball until this season, so if i am wrong about something please correct me :) , im open to learning more about baseball. i plan to follow it every summer after hockey season

Offline Dave B

« Reply #20: July 15, 2005, 02:46:28 PM »
24 live in DC (18 blocks frmo RFK) on Capitol Hill.  Originally from NY, moved here last year.

Liked the yankees until the 1994 (?) strike/lockout. Coincidentally also got cut from middle school baseball about the same time, couldnt adjust to the big field. Started playing lacrosse.  Stopped following baseball til about late 90's. Came back as a mets fan.

Moved here, went all in on the nationals.  I couldnt not root for them, being so close to the stadium and be able to walk to games.  

This is by far the most intently I've followed baseball for a whole season.  

I kind of am starting to like the yankees again too.  More or less because I hate the Red Sox and Orioles.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #21: July 15, 2005, 03:05:03 PM »
And I dont know about hockey anymore. I used to love the Islanders. But have since forgotten about hockey.  I would like to think fans would boycott at least a week and nobody go to games.  The players got royally screwed and I'm so happy about it.

We'll see when it returns, if I start to watch again.

And if you want an amazing live experience.  Go to college hockey.  Preferably one with a dumpy old arena. The only top team I know of that meets this criteria is Cornell with its arena that says it fits almost 4000 but can really only fit 2500 on its wooden benches. But they sell 4000 tickets anyway.  All the other good teams have nice new arenas, which detract from the whole experience