Author Topic: NOTLD, you may have been right..  (Read 2242 times)

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
Re: NOTLD, you may have been right..
« Reply #25: June 07, 2008, 07:53:19 AM »
There is no I in Team.   

How about next time you hit us with "we just have to take it one game at a time" or "it's not over until it's over". What is it with people and incongruous platitudes.  :rofl:

The last time this happened it got Bergmann's attention. Maybe this is what he needs to get him back on track.

Also, he's not the only one. Chill Wadson's article indicates that Acta ripped into Flores also.

« Reply #26: June 07, 2008, 08:33:29 AM »
exactly. not looking to excuse Jason's outing at all... just the singling out of him when there is a entire team that deserves the same treatment is bothersome.   

You are acting like we haven't been down this road with Bergmann before. We have. Numerous times. Over the past three years. When do you finally say enough is enough? Again, this isn't everyone else's problem. This is a Jason Bergmann problem and he needs to answer to his mistakes just as much as anyone else. Last night was his night.

Offline blue911

« Reply #27: June 07, 2008, 08:41:28 AM »
There is no I in Team.  

Did your parents leave you here from the Spelling Bee?

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #28: June 07, 2008, 09:44:03 AM »
You are acting like we haven't been down this road with Bergmann before. We have. Numerous times. Over the past three years. When do you finally say enough is enough? Again, this isn't everyone else's problem. This is a Jason Bergmann problem and he needs to answer to his mistakes just as much as anyone else. Last night was his night.

Also, just because Manny rarely shows that emotion during games in plain sight does not mean it doesn't happen behind closed doors. I have heard players say that Manny may not do things publicly, but that they get an earful in private. In this game, both Bergmann and Flores heard it from Manny, not just Bergmann. Managers rarely go to the mound without making a pitching change, but they do it occasionally, and for good reason. This was a good reason.

Starting pitchers have more responsibility than anyone else. They touch the ball on every pitch and account for 80% of the defense. Pitchers have nights when they don't have it, and sometimes guys just get hit. The question is how you respond on the nights when you don't have your best stuff. Unfortunately, Bergmann has a history of getting into patterns where he pitches out of fear, or simply serves up meatballs. Walks kill, leadoff walks are sinful, walking a pitcher is inexcusable, walking a pitcher with bases loaded and two outs is borderline criminal. It was early in a game. We need starters that can keep the team in the game and give the team some innings to protect the bullpen. The situation presented the possibility to end the damage or potentially put the game out of reach.

Manny had every right to be completely pissed under that situation. There had to be part of him that wanted to yank him right after walking Lincecum. I would have. But Bergmann had put Manny in a tough situation. It was only the 3rd inning and bullpen had been taxed the day before. The pitcher has a responsibility to not simply give bases and runs away, particularly to the opposing pitcher.

Bottomline, most if not all people in the stands can not perform anywhere close to the level these guys can on the field, that is why those guys get paid. But everyone can go out there and walk a guy. I don't need to pay to see that garbage. As soon as Bergmann walked the pitcher to score a run, he may as well have put a sign on his back that said I don't belong here.

Offline BBQ

• Not Werth it.
« Reply #29: June 07, 2008, 09:57:42 AM »
Yeah but even if he was an ace it would still be humorous. This never gets old.

That said, Patterson left too soon before he could get his bowling ball. :)
No he would get a:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #30: June 07, 2008, 10:06:53 AM »
I can't wait to hear Tomterp's excuses for Bergmann this time.

gfy

Offline BBQ

• Not Werth it.
« Reply #31: June 07, 2008, 10:15:10 AM »
What does that mean TomTerp?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #32: June 07, 2008, 10:16:43 AM »
I fixed it, had a typo.

Offline blue911

« Reply #33: June 07, 2008, 10:31:58 AM »
gfy

I hope that means Go F*ck Yourself

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #34: June 07, 2008, 12:09:44 PM »
I hope that means Go F*ck Yourself (Image removed from quote.)

Initially I thought it meant "good for you" but yours makes more sense blue911.

Does this Acta moment constitute bullying?     ;) :icon_mrgreen:

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #35: June 07, 2008, 12:29:45 PM »
No he would get a: [giant beachball]

No way Bergmann is beachballs and Patterson is bowling balls. It's a reference to this Patterson quote.

"I'll throw fastballs sometimes and the ball will just go boom, you know what I mean? I'm not throwing 92 miles an hour, 93 miles an hour right now. But I've thrown balls at times that have really good late life on them, which is what my fastball has. It may only be 88 miles an hour. But when I have that late life on the ball, it makes it look harder and I locate that pitch. Then there's times when I throw a fastball -- ugh, it's like throwing a bowling ball up there sometimes. That's how it feels."

"You just try to keep your eye on the prize really. At some point this is going to end and you pull through it. It's rehab by fire basically. There's only one way to get out of it and that is to throw and to pitch. I'm not upset about today. I have my head up and I understand there's going to be days like this. You just have to keep looking forward, looking for the end and keep working."

"Today was a bowling ball day. That's what it felt like. At times, I was having to just push it up there. And then there's fastballs that I threw and it was -- Bang, and I was like 'All right, now I've got to do that again.' And it just wouldn't go. It was back and forth all day long."

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/nationalsjournal/2008/03/patterson_i_felt_tight.html

« Reply #36: June 07, 2008, 12:31:56 PM »

Offline mikehughes

« Reply #37: June 08, 2008, 12:26:27 AM »
Berg really does suck I hate how he still is on the team, its probaly because of one start against the Braves that he dominated, he did earn a callup with what he did in Columbus after he was demoted but really the guy is a waste and is more AAAA

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #38: June 08, 2008, 12:28:10 AM »
Berg really does suck I hate how he still is on the team, its probaly because of one start against the Braves that he dominated, he did earn a callup with what he did in Columbus after he was demoted but really the guy is a waste and is more AAAA

Are you kidding me? He had one bad start, but he had 4 straight amazing starts.

Offline mikehughes

« Reply #39: June 08, 2008, 12:31:49 AM »
Are you kidding me? He had one bad start, but he had 4 straight amazing starts.

Ye ok but tell me what else he has ever done? HMM HMM??