Author Topic: Nats sign Oliver Perez to Minor League deal  (Read 3201 times)

Offline NatsTheFats

Re: Nats sign Oliver Perez to Minor League deal
« Reply #75: March 23, 2011, 05:19:43 PM »
Fixed ;)

I feel like he's part of the family now.

Offline PC

« Reply #76: March 23, 2011, 05:20:05 PM »
Read Nathan's post if you want to know who he is.  Since he has never been on an ML squad, he IS on a minor league deal.  All this cost the Nationals is 25,000$.  They can cut bait with him whenever they want with almost no consequence.

I did read it but I'm still wondering why this signing was made?  It appears to be a signing of "no consequence".  Why would they make a signing of no consequence?

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #77: March 23, 2011, 05:22:49 PM »
I did read it but I'm still wondering why this signing was made?  It appears to be a signing of "no consequence".  Why would they make a signing of no consequence?

I don't see what the big deal is.  They can take a look at him for a few weeks and then cut him if they want.  Strasburg was going to get moved to the 60-day DL anyway.  If anything, it probably is just organizational depth.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #78: March 23, 2011, 05:26:12 PM »
It's not a signing of no consequence.  It's a player that can be cut with minimal consequence. 

Offline NatsTheFats

« Reply #79: March 23, 2011, 05:27:10 PM »
I don't see what the big deal is.  They can take a look at him for a few weeks and then cut him if they want.  Strasburg was going to get moved to the 60-day DL anyway.  If anything, it probably is just organizational depth.

Same here.

No way he makes it into May unless he really shows major improvement. 

Offline PC

« Reply #80: March 23, 2011, 05:30:52 PM »
It's not a signing of no consequence.  It's a player that can be cut with minimal consequence. 

Ok, why would they make a signing of minimal consequence?

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #81: March 23, 2011, 05:34:28 PM »
Ok, why would they make a signing of minimal consequence?
Because hard throwing left handers who have had success at every level he's been at don't grow on trees, perhaps?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #82: March 23, 2011, 05:35:13 PM »
If anything Hyde is interesting because he now takes up a 40 man roster spot. Must be something the Nats see in him.

Dump him in AAA... see what he's got.

Also, it's not like the Nats signed the guy of the FA scrap heap. They claimed him off waivers... totally different process.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #83: March 23, 2011, 05:35:24 PM »
Fixed ;)

I doubt he's 56 still, that's Atilano's number :lol:

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #84: March 23, 2011, 05:36:26 PM »
Well dammit, at least it says Washington Nationals now!  Also, they had Morse's number as 12 still in the roster template, fixed that up as well.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #85: March 23, 2011, 06:07:09 PM »
I understand that Perez has been a bad pitcher. but we aren't paying him anything if he doesn't make Majors, and then its league min. people are acting as if we signed him to some mega deal. we aren't paying him 12m, are we? is he guaranteed a spot in the ML rotation, regardless of his performance?

if he sucks, we let him go and pay him nothing, or very little.

if he recovers his form, then we pay him very little, and the Mets get to pay him 12m to pitch for someone else.

I am not seeing the reason for any of the :panic: going on.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #86: March 23, 2011, 06:09:58 PM »
I understand that Perez has been a bad pitcher. but we aren't paying him anything if he doesn't make Majors, and then its league min. people are acting as if we signed him to some mega deal. we aren't paying him 12m, are we? is he guaranteed a spot in the ML rotation, regardless of his performance?

if he recovers his form, then we pay him very little, and the Mets get to pay him 12m to pitch for someone else.

yeah there's always a chance he finds his old self working with spin, we'll see.  but when it comes time to call upon another starter, if he's not doing well, hopefully we don't bring him up just on the name recognition alone.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #87: March 23, 2011, 06:22:48 PM »

Yep.  It always surprises me how everyone goes into hysterics over these nearly inconsequential signings.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #88: March 23, 2011, 06:27:04 PM »
¡sǝou ɥO  ¡zǝɹǝԀ ɹǝʌıℸO pǝuƃıs ǝM  ¡ƃWO

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #89: March 23, 2011, 06:29:11 PM »
I'm with PC, this franchise makes no damn sense sometimes. Lee Hyde blows. He's Minor League fodder. Doesn't have the command to pitch in the Majors. We have more than enough of those types and I'd hate to see him block a legitimate relief prospect in the Minors.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #90: March 23, 2011, 06:41:14 PM »
I'm with PC, this franchise makes no damn sense sometimes. Lee Hyde blows. He's Minor League fodder. Doesn't have the command to pitch in the Majors. We have more than enough of those types and I'd hate to see him block a legitimate relief prospect in the Minors.

who the hell is Lee Hyde, and what does he have to do with Oliver Perez?

Offline blue911

« Reply #91: March 23, 2011, 06:47:30 PM »
who the hell is Lee Hyde, and what does he have to do with Oliver Perez?

He's a guy the Nats picked up off the waiver wire. I'd assume Roy Clark (ex-braves scouting director) recommended him.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #92: March 23, 2011, 07:04:44 PM »
I just hate Oliver Perez and thinks he's trash - both as a pitcher and as a human being.  Not as bad as Luis Castillo but still a scumbag.

http://www.nj.com/mets/index.ssf/2010/09/why_mets_skipped_visit_to_walt.html

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #93: March 23, 2011, 07:33:54 PM »
I just hate Oliver Perez and thinks he's trash - both as a pitcher and as a human being.  Not as bad as Luis Castillo but still a scumbag.

http://www.nj.com/mets/index.ssf/2010/09/why_mets_skipped_visit_to_walt.html

Castillo is a craphead

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #94: March 23, 2011, 07:56:17 PM »
minor league deal. Not an issue as long as they don't look at him as anything but dumpster diving. If they can adjust mechanics and get something out of him, great. But we are beyond the point where the garbage heap is the source of serious options.

Offline PC

« Reply #95: March 23, 2011, 08:07:02 PM »
But we are beyond the point where the garbage heap is the source of serious options.

Are we?

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #96: March 23, 2011, 08:17:59 PM »
Yes. Which is why it would be pathetic otherwise.

Offline natstime

« Reply #97: March 23, 2011, 08:49:48 PM »
We are just paying for Wang to have a buddy.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #98: March 23, 2011, 09:00:31 PM »
Mets fan houseguest just laughed at me when I told him.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #99: March 23, 2011, 09:43:05 PM »

It's embarrassing, no matter how you slice it.  The guy is a national joke - at least in baseball world.  He was their version of Bruney, but worse, since he was being paid $12 million so they had to keep trotting him out there only to see him fail again and again.  And again.

There's just some baggage with him that makes it not worth it.  Let the Royals or Pirates have him.  The Nats have enough bad press and negative vibes from seasons past hanging around them already.  Don't need this guy to make the stench even worse.