Author Topic: Nats trade Ryan Buchter to Cubs for RHP Matt Avery  (Read 2486 times)

Offline sportsfan882

Nats trade Ryan Buchter to Cubs for RHP Matt Avery
« Topic Start: November 03, 2008, 04:29:21 PM »
JMUAlumni already posted this in another section but I thought it deserved it's own thread.

From Chico:

Let the hot stove (or at least the mildly warm stove) begin. To kick of the league's annual GM meetings (Monday-Thursday, in Dana Point, Calif.), the Nats have swapped minor leaguers with the Chicago Cubs. Here's the deal:

ACQUIRED BY WASHINGTON -- RHP Matt Avery

ACQUIRED BY CHICAGO -- LHP Ryan Buchter

For Avery, 25, this is something of a homecoming -- or at least it will be, if ever he advances to the big leagues. He's a Fairfax, Va., who attended the Landon School in Bethesda, Md. A 2005 ninth-round pick and a college teammate of Ryan Zimmerman at Virginia, Avery lifetime is 13-12 with a 3.56 ERA in 147 games, none above Class AA. Avery split the 2008 season between Class A and Class AA. In 32 games (and one start) with Class AA Tennessee, Avery had a 4-2 record, a 4.45 ERA and a 1.51 WHIP. Seems his biggest difficulty is getting the ball over the plate. In 66-2/3 innings, he walked 35.

Buchter had been selected by the Nats in the 33rd round of the 2005 draft. He spent much of last year with Class A Hagerstown, where in 13 games (all as a reliever) he had a 2-2 record and a 3.26 ERA. He'll turn 22 in February.

Avery (25) is 6' 6" 230 lbs and spent most of last year with the Cubs' AA Affiliate where he posted these numbers:

66.2 IP 66 H 40 R 33 ER 10 HR 35 BB 52 K (4-2, 4.46 ERA, 1.52 WHIP)

Offline wisefan11

• This is Nat Country
I'll be anxious to see some more info on Avery as it comes; I don't even remember reading Buchter's name until now.

Offline sportsfan882

I'll be anxious to see some more info on Avery as it comes; I don't even remember reading Buchter's name until now.
He was our 33rd round pick in the '05 draft. He's a LH reliever who posted a 3.26 ERA in Hagerstown last year. Doesn't seem too special.

Offline UMDNats

Seems like a minor move, maybe we saw something in Avery we could fix or something.

Offline sportsfan882

Seems like a minor move, maybe we saw something in Avery we could fix or something.
I wonder if RZ recommended him to JB since they were roommates at UVA.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
Avery appears to have serious control issues.  Meh.

Offline ronnynat

I've never understood why moves like these are made.

Offline sportsfan882

I've never understood why moves like these are made.
Change of scenery? We need bullpen help now and maybe Avery who is 25 finds his groove here and can contribute.

Offline ronnynat

Change of scenery? We need bullpen help now and maybe Avery who is 25 finds his groove here and can contribute.

Buchter is a reliever, is three years younger than Avery, and had a better season last year. I still don't understand it.

Offline sportsfan882

Buchter is a reliever, is three years younger than Avery, and had a better season last year. I still don't understand it.
Buchter is years away from contributing and may never pan out. He pitched in Low A ball all last year.

Avery is much more polished and put up OK numbers last year in AA. Avery is also higher regarded considering he was a 9th round pick while Buchter was a 33rd round pick. Avery is much closer to the Majors than Buchter who at best case scenario will be in the Bigs 3 years from now.

Offline ronnynat

Buchter is years away from contributing and may never pan out. He pitched in Low A ball all last year.

Avery is much more polished and put up OK numbers last year in AA. Avery is also higher regarded considering he was a 9th round pick while Buchter was a 33rd round pick. Avery is much closer to the Majors than Buchter who at best case scenario will be in the Bigs 3 years from now.

Then why would Chicago make the move? I just think of this as the two GMs wasting their time when they could have been looking to make moves that could actually help their teams.

Offline sportsfan882

Then why would Chicago make the move? I just think of this as the two GMs wasting their time when they could have been looking to make moves that could actually help their teams.
All about building organizational depth. The trade helps both teams. The Nats acquire a 25 year-old reliever who could be ready to contribute soon. We need bullpen help now. This adds depth. The Cubs obviously could afford to let him go because they are stacked with relievers and would rather take a chance on a pitcher who is much younger (21), left-handed, and posted very solid numbers in Low-A ball last year.

Offline ronnynat

All about building organizational depth. The trade helps both teams. The Nats acquire a 25 year-old reliever who could be ready to contribute soon. We need bullpen help now. This adds depth. The Cubs obviously could afford to let him go because they are stacked with relievers and would rather take a chance on a pitcher who is much younger (21), left-handed, and posted very solid numbers in Low-A ball last year.

I know we need depth, but this guy seems to be no better than a lot of the relievers we already have in the minors.

Eh, it's just a nothing move. I'll be waiting for some better ones...

MrMadison

who?

and for who?

Offline houston-nat

Isn't there a section of this forum for trades and transactions?

Offline sportsfan882

Yes, but breaking news should be posted in the General forum and then later on it is moved to the appropriate forum.

Offline ronnynat

Isn't there a section of this forum for trades and transactions?

Are you really asking? If so, yes, there is. It's called "The Wire" now.

Offline houston-nat

Are you really asking? If so, yes, there is. It's called "The Wire" now.
I'm not really asking; I'm making a point. But thanks for underlining it. :D

Offline hammondsnats

why can't we just get rid of levale speigner already?!?!  he's arguably the worst pitcher/player in our organization.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Yes, but breaking news should be posted in the General forum and then later on it is moved to the appropriate forum.

I disagree, they ought to go where they belong, less moving around of threads is better.

Anybody can use the "show unread posts since last visit" option to find everything they haven't read, so there is no additional prominence needed for a transaction report/analysis, in my opinion.

Offline xposbrad

why can't we just get rid of levale speigner already?!?!  he's arguably the worst pitcher/player in our organization.

lol ya, but he's cheap!

Offline mikehughes

lol ya, but he's cheap!
Get rid of that girafee

I'm sure Matt Avery is glad to no longer be a "loveable loser" but just a "loser" now.

EDIT: 9000th posting. Jesus....

MrMadison

I'm sure Matt Avery is glad to no longer be a "loveable loser" but just a "loser" now.

EDIT: 9000th posting. Jesus....

Hey Vegeta, what does NOTLD's post count read on the scanner?

It is now, Vegeta....9001! EXTREME!!!!