Author Topic: Space. The Final Frontier.  (Read 75419 times)

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
Re: Space. The Final Frontier.
« Reply #176: May 01, 2012, 05:13:24 PM »
Not exactly space, but...

freaking matter.  How does it freaking work!?  :asplode:

I don't see anything!!!!!!!

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #177: May 03, 2012, 09:16:28 PM »
I wonder how bad something like this would completely screw us over today?

http://arstechnica.com/science/news/2012/05/1859s-great-auroral-stormthe-week-the-sun-touched-the-earth.ars

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #178: May 04, 2012, 12:37:04 AM »
Birds & bees
Not exactly space, but...

freaking matter.  How does it freaking work!?  :asplode:

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #179: May 06, 2012, 06:58:18 PM »
:asplode:

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #180: May 06, 2012, 07:10:42 PM »
All we are is dust in the wind.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #181: May 06, 2012, 08:49:15 PM »
Kind of hilarious that a majority population, even in the US, educated as we are, don't believe life exists elsewhere considering we have two planets, three to five moons with water existing in our SOLAR SYSTEM. Plus Titan, where there's an exceedingly large chance of microbial life, without water. Yet isn't it an accepted figure a majority of Americans believe in ghosts? Never mind that conflicting with their religion 100%. *sigh* let's cut a few more billion from NASA's budget.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #182: May 06, 2012, 09:18:51 PM »
Kind of hilarious that a majority population, even in the US, educated as we are, don't believe life exists elsewhere considering we have two planets, three to five moons with water existing in our SOLAR SYSTEM. Plus Titan, where there's an exceedingly large chance of microbial life, without water. Yet isn't it an accepted figure a majority of Americans believe in ghosts? Never mind that conflicting with their religion 100%. *sigh* let's cut a few more billion from NASA's budget.

No way we're the most intelligent life form in the universe.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #183: May 06, 2012, 09:19:32 PM »

Sometimes I wonder if we're even the most intelligent life form on this planed :P

Offline mitlen

« Reply #184: May 06, 2012, 09:28:05 PM »
Sometimes I wonder if we're even the most intelligent life form on this planed :P

... or on this forum.    :)

Offline Nathan

« Reply #185: May 06, 2012, 09:28:24 PM »
:spit: :lmao: :doh:

Offline Coladar

« Reply #186: May 07, 2012, 12:37:26 AM »

I was thinking about this very thing a couple days ago, coincidentally. Consider the difference in intelligence between us and the next most intelligent species on the planet. I dunno if that's still considered Dolphins or what, but whatever. Imagine all humanity has accomplished, uncovering the secrets of the universe. Then just imagine a species developed that's just the same difference between us as we are between dolphins. And that's small potatoes. Who can imagine just what limits there are to intelligence in biological creatures. Lord knows this godawful species isn't the limit.

Likewise, and this is totally separate from that, but I don't buy the we haven't made contact, so they are either too far or don't exist. First and foremost, they wouldn't communicate with radio waves. We just proved Neutrinos can be used to communicate, and heaven only knows it'd take a far smarter person to explain or imagine how quantum entanglement could be used if it can be mastered, but seems to me if it could, the limits are endless. And I personally think we haven't scraped the surface. There's a level below quarks and muons and all that jazz, just as matter is made of molecules made of atoms made of muons and all sorts of matter. I don't buy there's an end to it. Then we admit we have no clue what 90+ % of the universe is, could be, or even if it exists.. Then considered said believers in ghosts, our countless wars, etc. If there were a more advanced species, let's face it, if they make contact, would it definitely be net positive? Or is there an overwhelming chance people go apecrap, countries fight for technology, and religions fight for existence? If they are out there, the fact they haven't made contact only proves they are smarter than us. Which isn't hard to imagine.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #187: May 07, 2012, 06:41:55 AM »
:asplode:

(Image removed from quote.)

The Hubble pointed at the night sky, huh? Night in which time zone? Did it get lighter in space during that time zone's day light?

That gif has some dumb text.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #188: May 07, 2012, 07:44:20 AM »
Nobody gives a rat's ass but I look forward to our alien lords. We'll make great pets.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #189: May 07, 2012, 10:59:41 AM »
Nobody gives a rat's ass but I look forward to our alien lords. We'll make great pets.

Perry is that you? Hook another Farrell up with tickets will you...

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #190: May 07, 2012, 11:09:31 AM »
Perry is that you? Hook another Farrell up with tickets will you...

Only if there's a Tahiti Moon.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #191: May 07, 2012, 03:07:14 PM »

The Hubble pointed at the night sky, huh? Night in which time zone? Did it get lighter in space during that time zone's day light?

That gif has some dumb text.

JTFC, that's not the freaking point.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #192: May 07, 2012, 03:51:13 PM »
JTFC, that's not the freaking point.

:lmao: :clap:

Online blue911

« Reply #193: May 07, 2012, 04:00:33 PM »

Speak for yourself

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #194: May 07, 2012, 05:40:03 PM »
a bit off the current topic, but I finally saw October Sky this past weekend, absolutely fantastic movie for anyone who is a rocket buff.

And there's a big model rocket competition this Saturday (5/13) at Great Meadows in The Plains, VA this Saturday, several hundred launches.

The Team America Rocketry Challenge (TARC) is the world's largest rocket contest, sponsored by the Aerospace Industries Association (AIA) and the National Association of Rocketry (NAR). It was created in the fall of 2002 as a one-time celebration of the Centennial of Flight, but the enthusiasm about the event was so great that AIA and NAR were asked to hold the contest annually.
http://www.rocketcontest.org/index.cfm

Offline mitlen

« Reply #195: May 07, 2012, 05:46:02 PM »
Speak for yourself

I'm sayin' on average.   Of course, you and I are.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #196: June 06, 2012, 02:21:12 PM »
"Video" of Venus passing the sun yesterday.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/nasa-provides-rare-images-transit-venus-144840865.html

The sun is scary as crap... it looks like it could just destroy us all, whenever it wanted. :panic:

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #197: June 06, 2012, 02:28:27 PM »
http://mobile.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2012/06/05/national_reconnaissance_office_gives_nasa_two_high_powered_military_telescopes_.html

Hubble got replaced- apparently the NRO had two slightly more powerful ones just hanging around- makes you wonder what our black budget really is

Offline Coladar

« Reply #198: June 06, 2012, 02:30:13 PM »
No comments on the two free Hubble telescopes our wasteful, useless government has had sitting in warehouses to spy on us for a decade? Then decided they had better and bigger scopes, so gave them to NASA? And NASA, getting two telescopes superior to Hubble, for free, admits they don't have the money, about a billion, to retrofit and launch even one of them until 2024? Even though they are finished, sitting in a warehouse, free? And the second, they admit, there's no chance they have the money for, so they probably won't ever use it?

I mean what the freak. All the science the Hubble has made, two free scopes better than the Hubble, that our government wasted money on and never used to spy on us. And even after they are given to NASA, NASA is so poor it can't even retrofit one and launch on for 12 years, and the other just goes to waste? This is one freaked up country when we can blow trillions on spying, building and never using multibillion dollar pieces of equipment, but for the benefit of humanity and scientific knowledge, we don't have a dime to spare. What a sick world we live in.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #199: June 06, 2012, 02:32:42 PM »
This is one freaked up country when we can blow trillions on spying, building and never using multibillion dollar pieces of equipment, but for the benefit of humanity and scientific knowledge, we don't have a dime to spare. What a sick world we live in.

It's politics- republicans blindly support defense spending because the world is evil and democrats blindly support defense spending to prove they aren't communists