Zach Duke - for putting the game out of reach in just 0.2 innings
3 (6.7%)
Davey Johnson - for putting Duke in the game, only down by three
3 (6.7%)
Mike Rizzo - for the weakness of this roster that show at the worst times
2 (4.4%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Voting closed: May 13, 2013, 07:18:02 PM

Author Topic: Who was most to blame for today's (5/11/13) loss to the Cubs?  (Read 2448 times)

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
I.E.   He's not a #1  ....   yet.    Ya can't "name" a number one starter.

Right, although we've had some questionable opening day starters over the years and none of them lost as many games as Stras has at this point of the season.

Offline PC

Maybe Strasburg has some sort of depression issues?  Medication might be the solution to making him an ace.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
TT thougt Zimmerman was  out on replay and posted so on this site.. He was just backing up one of his "star "players.

Looked like Ryan was clearly safe to me, but I was at the game and never saw a replay, I read on Twitter that it was a bad call.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Maybe Strasburg has some sort of depression issues?  Medication might be the solution to making him an ace.

crap, if that was the answer, I'd be an ace.    :)

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter

Makes sense, probably just needs to chill out.

Offline mitlen

Makes sense, probably just needs to chill out.

(Image removed from quote.)

Exactly, twist one up and groove.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Exactly, twist one up and groove.

Works for basketball, probably would for pitching too, gotta get in the zone.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
I can't vote for Stras.  The contact against him was pretty cheap.  I would have wanted him to step up and make up for the stinky situation the team was in, but he did not put them in the stinky situation. RZ is #1, and Duke with his blow up is #2 on that list for me.

Offline rileyn

Definitely Stras. Yeah Zimm's error was bad but there is no reason why Stras shouldn't be able to dominate the upcoming hitters who were 8 hole and 9 hole(pitcher). Instead he gives up a walk and a double. And don't forget, his D bailed him out a batter before by getting the guy out at 3rd.

A shame because Stras was rolling thru 4 and it looked like it was gonna be one of those 7+ IP, 10+ K type games. How quickly things can turn.
THIS!  One measley error that still only put one runner on with two outs and the crap part of the order, should never have led to this garbage.  Strasburg needs the Boudreau speech in the worst way!

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
How about ALL OF THE ABOVE!   We win and lose as a team!   Yesterday Det pitched so many doubles it was ridiculous!   Yet only 2 runs crossed the plate.   We just didn't pick each other up today!

Offline houston-nat

I think it's hilarious that Mike Rizzo is listed in a poll where most people are blaming two of the best 50 players in all baseball.

Offline pazzo83

Is this how we are gonna be after every loss now?

Offline CurlyW4lyfe

What bothers me the most is that Stras clearly has the capability to strike out folks a ton (7 strikeouts through 4 innings, guys)

But then he just rolls over completely in inning 5. That's not something we give a pass to if Gio or JZimm  goofs up like that(especially JZimm right now) Stras shouldn't get a pass. Problem is he's probably overthinking it right now and making it worse for himself.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
i still think the worst move we made this off-season was letting Gorzy go.

Online aspenbubba

Looked like Ryan was clearly safe to me, but I was at the game and never saw a replay, I read on Twitter that it was a bad call.

I misquoted. Forgive me TT and PB69. It was Cubs GDT #1 reply # 233 from VaRoadKing and TT replied to that. I thought I saw the trailing leg get tagged before the lead foot touched the bag.It was very close and I couldn't swear to it one way or another.

Offline mitlen

Is this how we are gonna be after every loss now?

Been this way since 2005   ...   :P

Offline imref

Davey:

"It's unfortunate, I mean, that inning he threw 40 pitches. It's hard to explain.

Where we needed him to pick us up...the air went out..."

He's too a pitcher to let adversity behind him...let him down. It's a team effort, errors are part of the game."

Sometimes he's such a perfectionist, even when a guy flies out he'll wonder if the pitch was in the right spot."

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
I think it's hilarious that Mike Rizzo is listed in a poll where most people are blaming two of the best 50 players in all baseball.

Hahahahahahahaaa, Stras and Zimmm are two of the best 50 players?  On paper, maybe Stras was heading into the season.  Zimmerman, a one time All-Star, he's the definition of a local hero.

Right now Jordan Zimmermann is making a case that he should be considered one of the 50 best, and of course Harper is up there as well, the only other Nat in that conversation right now is Desmond.

Offline madj55

Zim isn't even top 100. Strasburg has the stuff to be top 50 but stuff can only take you so far.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
I'm starting to worry about his mindset.

Go out and bust your ass. Pitch. Work hard. If it goes wrong, crap happens. All jokes aside, this pep talk would be pretty appropriate for Stephen Strasburg right now;

His teams failed and he's gone

Offline PC

Zach Duke is all on Rizzo.  There was a better in house option to do the job that Duke was signed to do but he cost more so Rizzo went with the cheaper option.  If he could have gotten Gorzelanny with coupons, we'd be better off in the bullpen today.

The awfulness of the bench is on Rizzo.   Good bench players are expensive....well, they're more expensive than veteran minimum.

The general composition of the roster is on Rizzo and when Zach Duke is your only left handed reliever, you have compiled a terrible roster.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked

:crackup:

Offline Coladar

We just had a five game winning streak. You do have to lose *some* games in the course of a season. Thus a thread dedicated to today's game beyond the thread dedicated to today's game (GDT) seems... a bit much?

That said, Strasburg is becoming troubling. His fortitude, attitude and responses (Verbal and performance) to adversity during games... I never would have expected this of Stephen Strasburg, our pitching savior, when we drafted him. Suck it up and pitch, don't whine, complain and make excuses. Sure as hell don't fall apart on the field the second something goes wrong. Methinks a shrink might be needed if this keeps up.

Offline imref

We just had a five game winning streak. You do have to lose *some* games in the course of a season. Thus a thread dedicated to today's game beyond the thread dedicated to today's game (GDT) seems... a bit much?

That said, Strasburg is becoming troubling. His fortitude, attitude and responses (Verbal and performance) to adversity during games... I never would have expected this of Stephen Strasburg, our pitching savior, when we drafted him. Suck it up and pitch, don't whine, complain and make excuses. Sure as hell don't fall apart on the field the second something goes wrong. Methinks a shrink might be needed if this keeps up.

yeah, maybe the guy who helped Smoltz?

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness

This game is on Zim...he doesn't airmail another throw and it is an entirely different game...and without Zack Duke...