Author Topic: The Mets Apologize for Sucking - Where's the Nats apology?  (Read 2021 times)

Offline blue911

If I may make a musical reference from Wilson Pickett ... "99 1/2 just won't do".

Didn't Wicked Pickett live in Ashburn?

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
And to think, I posted this as a joke.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Didn't Wicked Pickett live in Ashburn?

Yes, and I was shocked.   If I had known, I would have been over there singing "In the Midnight Hour" with him.   He passed away in the last year or so.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
Not true. In fact there is almost an inverse relationship between the two.
So a losing team has more fans than a winning team.  Gotcha.

Offline Coladar

Not true. In fact there is almost an inverse relationship between the two.

Absolutely there is. If the leaked financial documents told us anything this year about baseball, it's what a cluster**** the shared revenue is and has led to teams pillaging their fanbase to make money. And they do make quite a bit by doing so, as the Lerners are no doubt well aware of,

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
Does anyone know which team it was that said they'd still make a profit even if no one showed up for the games? 

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
So a losing team has more fans than a winning team.  Gotcha.

Well, there's the Cubs......   :lol:

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
Does anyone know which team it was that said they'd still make a profit even if no one showed up for the games? 

I think it was the Marlins.

Offline Sharp

Well, there's the Cubs......   :lol:
Chicago is just a bizarre sports town.  They genuinely don't care whether their teams are winning or losing, which is often misinterpreted as "they are devoted fans through thick and thin," but that's really not it--people just treat sports games as social events.

Offline NatsDad14

I think it was the Marlins.
I'm pretty sure you don't need a statement by the team for that considering barely any fans show up for their games these days. What a shame. They would sell out games here in D.C.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
He's great when he stays on topic.  However, he does make some completely baseless claims about how great the team will be in the future (when nobody - including those paid to do so can predict what the team will be in the future) and then degrades them when they don't agree.  He's just a douchebag.

Internet Bully Syndrome.  He's too chicken-crap to confront his fears directly so he flexes his "intellectual" prowess on faceless avatars online.

Not true.  His level of intelligence is shown in his constant belittling of other people.  It's a psychological defense mechanism derived the feeling that he has always been intellectually inferior.

He writes well, but I don't venture a guess he's any more intelligent than anyone else here (other than maybe mikehughes).  He just has enough time on his hands to do the research necessary to back his posts - which really means that he has no other life and probably spends less time with chicks (or dudes if that's his bag) than sportsfan882 did prior to his relationship.  He's probably fresh out of college, has no life other than following baseball so he does so religiously to bolster his self-esteem during internet "discussions."

Minty is freaking awesome.  :lmao:

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
Chicago is just a bizarre sports town.  They genuinely don't care whether their teams are winning or losing, which is often misinterpreted as "they are devoted fans through thick and thin," but that's really not it--people just treat sports games as social events.

Yup, just look at the Wrigley bleacher seats and rooftops for proof.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!

Minty is freaking awesome.  :lmao:

Can you tell I'm pissed?   :lol:

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Can you tell I'm pissed?   :lol:

I sensed some hostility.

Offline blue911

The Rangers just signed a $3 Billion 20 year deal with Fox for local tv rights. The Rangers payroll is under $65M.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
Potomac Cannons is a shill for the Lerners.

I'm really starting to wonder if he has a FO position with the Nats.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
I'm really starting to wonder if he has a FO position with the Nats.

Are you sure he's not Nuts320?

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
Are you sure he's not Nuts320?

I can't say for sure, but his syntax doesn't seem atrocious enough for that.

Offline spidernat

I can't say for sure, but his syntax doesn't seem atrocious enough for that.

It may be his cover.  :lol:  But I don't believe he's that other clown. He's the flip side of the coin though. One services the front while the other takes care of the back end. 

Offline spidernat

The Rangers just signed a $3 Billion 20 year deal with Fox for local tv rights. The Rangers payroll is under $65M.

Wait, I'm no math expert but that comes out to $150 million per.  :shock:  The Nats don't get a third of that kind of money. Is there more to this that I don't understand blue?

Offline Sharp

Wait, I'm no math expert but that comes out to $150 million per.  :shock:  The Nats don't get a third of that kind of money. Is there more to this that I don't understand blue?
It's probably not frontloaded and takes into account inflation.  Also keep in mind that the Dallas/Fort Worth area is the fourth-largest market in the U.S., behind only Chicago, LA and NY.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
The 3 billion/20 years was a misprint.

It actually came out at something like 1.5 or 1.6 billion.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/the-rangers-ink-a-20-year-3-billion-tv-deal.php

Offline spidernat

That's still decent money. And the Nats still don't come anywhere near that kid of loot. I bet the Lerners wish they had bought the previous Washington franchise.

Offline blue911

Nope. Ryan is a die hard Republican so maybe there some sort of Murdoch love affair. But more than likely Fox sees this as a golden opportunity to expand their Sports Network throughout the southwest. Nolan Ryan is an icon in Texas and his appeal shouldn't be underestimated.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Yet the dude at the hardware store gets more autograph request than Nolan does.

Go figure.