Author Topic: Nationals-Orioles Rivalry?  (Read 11277 times)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Re: Nationals-Orioles Rivalry?
« Reply #150: February 27, 2013, 09:06:23 PM »
I'm a slightly bigger O's fan than Nats fan.  The O's were my childhood team, and I'm a big believer that you never give up on your team. 

Another victim of the Orioles marketing machine. 

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #151: February 27, 2013, 09:10:04 PM »
Btw.  Both. BROOKS Robi son and Cal Ripken will be at the next Collectors Sbowcase show at Chantilly.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #152: February 27, 2013, 09:24:41 PM »
And the problem with that is what exactly?

I'd rather have a gay friend than befriend an O's fan these days...

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #153: February 27, 2013, 09:35:13 PM »
Well, the former are better dressers, that is for sure.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #154: February 27, 2013, 10:45:27 PM »

So you would rather hang out with PANatsFan over hammonds.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #155: February 27, 2013, 11:17:16 PM »
[hammondsnats] i just hope the o's stay away from espinosa [/hammondsnats]

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #156: February 28, 2013, 09:33:33 AM »
[hammondsnats] i just hope the o's stay away from espinosa [/hammondsnats]

:lmao:

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #157: February 28, 2013, 04:20:22 PM »
Another victim of the Orioles marketing machine. 

Sad, but bound to happen.

A rock-bottom moment for my Nats: I was walking with two programmers from HQ in Rockville...hot summer day...I mentioned Our Team...they had never heard of the Washington Nationals or Senators. Our local team is the Orioles, they agreed.

Think of the new situation this way:

- A Baltimore beer family bought the St Louis browns, and moved them to Baltimore.

- Told Clark Griffith that if he tried to stop them, they would pull their National Bohemian ads from the Nats TV games

- Nats local beer sponsor, Heurich Brewing, maker of Old Georgetown, had folded. Old Mr Heurich died about 1947 and his kids preferred to make money by selling the brewery in Foggy Bottom to what became the Watergate complex, and sold the family estate in West Hyattsville for what became Prince George's Plaza.

- For 20 years, the Nats / Senators ownership scraped along as one of the least wealthy ownerships in baseball. The Griffith / Robertson family had no income outside the club. The New Senators never had a rich owner. The Orioles always had money and spent it.

- It's fun to have owners with more money than anybody in baseball.

- The Orioles should move to Brooklyn...right beside the Barclay Center (as long as they pay for the stadium themselves). New York needs a second major league team.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #158: February 28, 2013, 11:30:45 PM »
BROOKLYN GOT A TEAM ALREADY.

http://www.brooklyncyclones.com/

Offline welch

« Reply #159: March 01, 2013, 02:16:13 PM »
BROOKLYN GOT A TEAM ALREADY.

http://www.brooklyncyclones.com/

Well, yes...and many people go to Met games with Brooklyn Dodger or New York Giants hats. Considering the state of the Mets, New York could support a second major league team.

Offline Rick

« Reply #160: March 01, 2013, 06:28:54 PM »
Well, yes...and many people go to Met games with Brooklyn Dodger or New York Giants hats. Considering the state of the Mets, New York could support a second major league team.

I call malarky!!! I have never seen a person go to a Met game!  ;)

Offline welch

« Reply #161: March 04, 2013, 02:24:45 PM »
I call malarky!!! I have never seen a person go to a Met game!  ;)

Ah, now, let's be kind to Muts fans. Our Davey used to manage that team, and we named some of our Little League drills after Met players: in the Kevin Elster, our kid touched his glove fingers to the ground while touching the palm of his/her bare hand to the palm of the glove hand. "Like an alligator". The OF relay was the Kevin McReynolds.

But that was a long time back. I honestly think NYC could support a second major league team, especially when people joke that the Yankees ST games should be called Oldtimer's Day. 

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #162: March 04, 2013, 02:27:53 PM »
Trivia: did you know that the Mets colors/logo were distilled from the Dodgers and NY Giants unis?

Oh wait, your welch. Of course you did. ;)

Offline Ray D

« Reply #163: March 04, 2013, 02:37:05 PM »
we named some of our Little League drills after Met players:
Yeah I was coaching a team in the 80s where I would give a coke snorting gesture to the pitcher, meaning throw over to first.  We called it the Daryl Strawberry play.

Offline Rick

« Reply #164: March 04, 2013, 05:49:13 PM »
Yeah I was coaching a team in the 80s where I would give a coke snorting gesture to the pitcher, meaning throw over to first.  We called it the Daryl Strawberry play.

guess it was a coin toss between that and the Doc Gooden

Offline Ray D

« Reply #165: March 04, 2013, 06:12:39 PM »
guess it was a coin toss between that and the Doc Gooden
Well no, we had a Doc Gooden play too.  We would have one of the players girlfriends throw a telephone at the opposing pitcher.  That was the sign for the runner at first to steal second.

Offline welch

« Reply #166: March 05, 2013, 11:39:49 AM »
We used to call "Strawberry!" any time an OF would overthrow the cutoff man. That's one of my lasting memories from 86 - 89 seasons: sitting on the 1B side, watching a single hit to RF with a runner on second; Strawberry throws a beamer to Carter at home; runner safe by about five steps and hitter takes second.

Strawberry had all the "tools" but no idea how to play baseball. Stealing second when the Mets were six runs down or six runs ahead in the 8th inning. Perfect swing that kicks up dirt as he misses the low outside curve. Every season the excuse: well, Strawberry is young. In his late 20s and making the same mistakes.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #167: March 05, 2013, 11:56:59 AM »
I was talking to this buddy of mine who is about 40 and, although he grew up in NoVa, still swears an allegiance to the O's because that's the team he grew up with. He's wasn't even born when the Senators when they left in 1971 so it occurred to me that he's part of a lost generation of DC fans who were born between the mid-'60s and the mid-90's.

People born before then remember the original Nats and have no problem going back to the DC team. And people born after the mid-'90s were still very young when the Nats came back in 2005 so they never really got attached to the O's.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #168: March 05, 2013, 12:04:45 PM »
I was talking to this buddy of mine who is about 40 and, although he grew up in NoVa, still swears an allegiance to the O's because that's the team he grew up with. He's wasn't even born when the Senators when they left in 1971 so it occurred to me that he's part of a lost generation of DC fans who were born between the mid-'60s and the mid-90's.

People born before then remember the original Nats and have no problem going back to the DC team. And people born after the mid-'90s were still very young when the Nats came back in 2005 so they never really got attached to the O's.

First I've heard of such a thing.

Offline nobleisthyname

« Reply #169: March 05, 2013, 12:07:38 PM »
I was born in '91 so I'm right on the cusp in that range BiL is talking about. My earliest baseball memories were of cheering for the Orioles. Hell, my favorite player of all-time is still Ripken.

When DC got a baseball team again in 2005 I was definitely excited but that first season I still followed the Orioles and actually found it easier to relate to them since I knew all of the players better.

Each season it's swung more and more the other way however, and now I don't give a damn for the Orioles. I actually kind of hope for them to do poorly so more people switch to the exciting and (hopefully) successful Nats  :lol:

Offline saltydad

« Reply #170: March 06, 2013, 12:03:06 AM »
I've weighed in on this before. Grew up a Senators fan; loved going to Griffith Stadium. My in-laws and family were all Baltimore residents- father-in-law had gone to U. of Md. Med School, practiced there, was chairman of Urological Surgery there, director of U. of Md. Med Ctr. and Assoc. Dean of the Med School. There were still some Carroll County folks as he grew up on his family farm in Westminster. Through them I began to really enjoy the town of Balmer for more than the Block. But never the Zeroes.

With all of that in mind, given that I'm 65, I HATE the o's. Always did, always will. Interestingly I went to the 69 WS and rooted for the Mets. Moved the NYC for school, and tried watching Mets games, but gave up. Too crappy. Had a son and was trying to get him into baseball. Would never expose him to the crappy Mets, so we started to go to Yankees games. 4 decades made me into a rabid Yankees fan.

So now I root for both Yanks and Nats. My son is a rabid Yankees fan, AND a rabid Skins fan. I raised him right.