Author Topic: Hagerstown Suns on the move?  (Read 24463 times)

Offline Keenan

Re: Hagerstown Suns on the move?
« Reply #100: March 22, 2012, 05:44:21 PM »
****UPDATE****

WINCHESTER- Minor league baseball in the Winchester area may not be dead.

Brian Hester, the lone city resident who spoke in favor of baseball in Jim Barnett Park at a Feb. 14 public hearing, said Wednesday that his family has offered to donate 10 acres of land just north of Middletown as a multi-use stadium site.

Meanwhile, Hagerstown (Md.) Suns owner Bruce Quinn met with City Council during an executive session following Tuesday night's work session. He could not be reached for comment Wednesday.

The idea of putting a stadium is laughable, but nice that a resident is willing to give some of his properly away for free!  The only ideal part of a Middletown stadium would be its proximity to I-66 which is only 2 miles away from Middletown exit 302 on I-81.

As for Winchester's situation, Buettner would not discuss the nature of City Council's discussions with Quinn Tuesday night. He reaffirmed that a stadium won't be built in Jim Barnett Park but said council members remain interested in bringing baseball to the city.

"As I've said before, I'm very supportive of the project," Buettner said. "The (park) location was problematic, but I still like the concept. I was amazed by how many people contacted me after the vote to say that they agreed with the vote on the site, but were sad it couldn't happen."

Winchester is still working behind the scenes on two different locations within the city limits. We should learn in the near future where those two sites are.