Author Topic: Curiosity question: Who do you consider the most respected man in baseball?  (Read 4679 times)

Offline _sturt_

• "Le Grande Orange"...Colt 45/Astro/Expo(Nat) Great
Looking for four, actually. Nominate in any or all of the categories.

a) Who would you nominate as the most respected person associated in some way with baseball, ie still alive and not associated specifically with the Nats or the City of DC?

b) Then, who would you select among those who are living and specifically associated with the Nats or the city?

c) Then, who would you select among those who've past on but not associated with the Nats or the city?

d) Then, finally, who would you select among those who've past on and are associated with the Nats or the City?

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Hank Aaron, frank Robinson, Jackie Robinson, Walter Johnson

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
a) Who would you nominate as the most respected person associated in some way with baseball, ie still alive and not associated specifically with the Nats or the City of DC?      Aaron

b) Then, who would you select among those who are living and specifically associated with the Nats or the city?     Robinson

c) Then, who would you select among those who've past on but not associated with the Nats or the city?    Clemente

d) Then, finally, who would you select among those who've past on and are associated with the Nats or the City?    Killebrew and/or   Brinkman

Offline blue911

a) Who would you nominate as the most respected person associated in some way with baseball, ie still alive and not associated specifically with the Nats or the City of DC? Rachel Robinson

b) Then, who would you select among those who are living and specifically associated with the Nats or the city? Frank Robinson

c) Then, who would you select among those who've past on but not associated with the Nats or the city? Jackie Robinson

d) Then, finally, who would you select among those who've past on and are associated with the Nats or the City? Walter Johnson but I really wanted to pick Rabbit Robinson.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Considering that Mays and Frank, as well as Koufax, Ryan, and other respected stars are still alive, I don't think there's any better answer than Aaron both for his accomplishments, the adversity he overcame, and his conduct.   Mays was the better player, and Robinson had leadership positions after his playing days, but it still comes down to Aaron.

As for this team, I'm not going to be cute and say Vladi / Hawk / Carter ;) , so I'll agree it has to Frank.

Most respected all time?  Wow, tough.  Wagner and Matthewson in their day were thought of as moral giants as well as accomplished players, and I'll throw in Greenberg and Clemente as groundbreakers, but it still has to be Jackie.

Washington baseball, in history?  Johnson, hands down.  I dont' really associate Gibson with Washington as much as Pittsburgh, and I think his personal life probably knocks down some of the respect he is due.  Killebrew's association with this city and his accomplishments here are almost a trivial part of what made him a HOFamer.  Nice guy, too, but not Mr. Washington Baseball.  If you say Killebrew, then you should probably say Ted Williams.

Offline DPMOmaha

For A: Aaron's probably it, but Torre's right up there, too.

Offline HalfSmokes

Looking for four, actually. Nominate in any or all of the categories.

a) Who would you nominate as the most respected person associated in some way with baseball, ie still alive and not associated specifically with the Nats or the City of DC? Joe Torre

b) Then, who would you select among those who are living and specifically associated with the Nats or the city? Frank Robinson

c) Then, who would you select among those who've past on but not associated with the Nats or the city? Abner Doubleday

d) Then, finally, who would you select among those who've past on and are associated with the Nats or the City? Walter Johnson

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
  If you say Killebrew, then you should probably say Ted Williams.

Williams crossed my mind but he's too much Sawx.    As an "outlander", Johnson does not come into my knowledge of the Senators.     I chose Killebrew because when I was in Little League, he was a slugger on the Senators.

Online imref

Branch Rickey should probably get honorable mention as well as someone without ties to the Nats.

Online imref

d) Then, finally, who would you select among those who've past on and are associated with the Nats or the City? Walter Johnson but I really wanted to pick Rabbit Robinson.
:hysterical:

Online imref

c) Then, who would you select among those who've past on but not associated with the Nats or the city? Abner Doubleday

there's quite a lot about Doubleday at Gettysburg.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
Hank Aaron, frank Robinson, Jackie Robinson, Walter Johnson

Aaron dropped a notch in my book when he compared Obama opponents to members of the KKK...other than wearing a tie and starched shirt rather than a hood.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseball/24519807/hank-aaron-compares-republicans-who-oppose-obama-to-kkk

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked

Aaron dropped a notch in my book when he compared Obama opponents to members of the KKK...other than wearing a tie and starched shirt rather than a hood.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseball/24519807/hank-aaron-compares-republicans-who-oppose-obama-to-kkk

One notch only?

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness

Offline spidernat

He plummets precipitously in my estimation.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
He plummets precipitously in my estimation.
Probably made Mathguy's opinion of him improve...

Online imref

so almost on page 2 and nobody mentions MDS?

Offline spidernat

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball

a) Who would you nominate as the most respected person associated in some way with baseball, ie still alive and not associated specifically with the Nats or the City of DC? Henry Aaron, Joe Torre. [Probably Aaron, but Torre survived George von Steingrabber with dignity. Not many did]

b) Then, who would you select among those who are living and specifically associated with the Nats or the city? [Frank Robinson, though it was a slight association. Bob Wolff]

c) Then, who would you select among those who've past on but not associated with the Nats or the city? [Too many: Jackie Robinson, Branch Rickey, Connie Mack]

d) Then, finally, who would you select among those who've past on and are associated with the Nats or the City? [Walter Johnson, Clark Griffith, Shirley Povich]

Offline UMDNats

Of current players, Derek Jeter is the only answer.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
Of current players, Derek Jeter is the only answer.

NO IT ISN'T

Offline UMDNats

Offline spidernat

orioles fans have an inferiority complex when it comes to the yankees.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Yes it is. It isn't even close.
Actually, the NYY have 3 reasonable candidates in Jeter, Ichiro, and Beltran.  I'll throw in Ortiz, too.   Veterans with majors accomplishments with personal stuff mostly in order.  Established leaders.  Ortiz had the PED thing a few years ago, but you watch how he is greeted at every base and how opposing players seek him out before games.   He is sort of the go to guy for Dominicans and other Carribean and Central American players.  Being gregarious helps.  Ichiro still has an enormous profile, and I think Beltran's accomplishments have earned him great respect.  Jeter is still probably #1.

Among guys now in their prime, Miggy is probably the most respects, and among guys on the way up, it is Trout and Posey. For pitchers, there's Lee, Felix and Kershaw, with Fernandez possibly topping everyone due to his personal story and potential.

If Mo were still playing, I think he'd be ahead of Jeter.