Author Topic: Android Thread  (Read 43732 times)

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
Re: Android Thread
« Reply #400: June 08, 2013, 04:05:04 PM »
I guess I'm just like The Chief in that I prefer reference devices over some skinned up custom stuff.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #401: June 12, 2013, 02:59:05 PM »

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #402: June 15, 2013, 12:52:52 PM »
Verizon and Samsung freaked up the SGIII big time with their last update, I called and complained and they FedEx'd me a new phone because they can't roll back the update.  A major pain in the ass, I had to clear out the old phone, and then get all my apps, widgets, and settings entered in the new phone.  I've got just short of 20 different passwords I had to re-enter to get everything back up and running.

But in the end everything is back to normal, once again a great phone.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #403: June 15, 2013, 04:22:23 PM »
My screen has a scratch,  hopefully att makes tge same mistake

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #404: June 15, 2013, 05:35:27 PM »
My contract with Verizon has run out, and I think I get $50 from then if I renew for two, and I think get $50 from Best Buy if I sign up with them for any carrier.  I might even be able to tack offers if it is Verizon at Best Buy.  So, long winded way of asking 2 questions:

1)  I can get an S3 for free after the credit or pay $149 for an S4.  Go with the S3?

2)  How big of a data plan should I get?  I currently don't have a smart phone and don't text or listen to music on my phone.  I would imagine I would use it for occasionally watch another team's game when I'm at the ballpark, probably do some of the personal stuff during the day on it instead of the work computer (like moderate posts here :devil: ), and maybe even try something like Waze instead of my TomTom when I drive.  OK, maybe I'll learn that it's better than may Bruce CDs when I drive, too.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #405: June 15, 2013, 05:53:56 PM »
The minimum plan for smartphones used to be 2GB, but when I got my GNex there was a deal that you got 4GB for the 2GB price (not sure if it's still there).  I think 2GB would be plenty.  I know in stock android I can set a data amount where it will warn me, and another amount that once reached, will disable any more data usage until the next billing cycle.  I've never gotten close to 4GB though.

I'd go with the S4 since it's newer and will probably feel faster for longer, but I'm a gadget junky.  I'd also flash something based off of stock android like CyanogenMod or AOKP, so I'm not the best person to answer that one.

Also, there is a google maps navigation app that is free, you could try that out instead of Waze too (though I think Google bought Waze recently to enhance their own navigation app).

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #406: June 15, 2013, 06:31:32 PM »
I hit 5GB or more on a regular basis listening to Pandora and Concert Vault at work and in the car.  If you download your own music to a micro SD card you can cut down on that significantly (the amount of data that can now be stored on a card the size of my little fingernail is amazing).  Watching ballgames or other videos such as Netflix will really run up the data usage.

I use the Google navigation, although Waze is definitely getting more popular.

Given the choice I'd certainly get the SG4, but the SG3 is still a great phone and I doubt if you would notice much of a difference.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #407: June 19, 2013, 11:00:29 AM »
deleting accuweather and google field trips has been amazing for my batter life. I really wish there was a way to quickly toggle netwok and location access for individual applications without rooting- google field trips was great on vacation and is useful on road trips, but it kills battery life, so the last thing I want is to have it constantly on when I'm farthest from a charger.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #408: June 19, 2013, 11:21:55 AM »
Unless you are using your phone as a hotspot, you aren't going to be able to do much with this forum from a smartphone. It's a nice layout, but not small-screen friendly.

I like my dedicated Garmin GPS much better than I like using my smartphone for navigation. I use my smartphone for navigation only in a pinch. I know it does it pretty well, but I hate using limited bandwidth.

You have to be careful about the apps you are running if you are getting a 2G plan - some of them are hogs. But if you really don't listen to a streaming music service, and only watch the occasional YouTube video, 2G is probably enough.

My contract with Verizon has run out, and I think I get $50 from then if I renew for two, and I think get $50 from Best Buy if I sign up with them for any carrier.  I might even be able to tack offers if it is Verizon at Best Buy.  So, long winded way of asking 2 questions:

1)  I can get an S3 for free after the credit or pay $149 for an S4.  Go with the S3?

2)  How big of a data plan should I get?  I currently don't have a smart phone and don't text or listen to music on my phone.  I would imagine I would use it for occasionally watch another team's game when I'm at the ballpark, probably do some of the personal stuff during the day on it instead of the work computer (like moderate posts here :devil: ), and maybe even try something like Waze instead of my TomTom when I drive.  OK, maybe I'll learn that it's better than may Bruce CDs when I drive, too.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #409: June 19, 2013, 12:44:27 PM »
Unless you are using your phone as a hotspot, you aren't going to be able to do much with this forum from a smartphone. It's a nice layout, but not small-screen friendly.

I like my dedicated Garmin GPS much better than I like using my smartphone for navigation. I use my smartphone for navigation only in a pinch. I know it does it pretty well, but I hate using limited bandwidth.

You have to be careful about the apps you are running if you are getting a 2G plan - some of them are hogs. But if you really don't listen to a streaming music service, and only watch the occasional YouTube video, 2G is probably enough.

I use my smartphone for the forum all the time.

www.wnff.net/index.php?theme=36

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #410: June 19, 2013, 12:46:56 PM »

my sg3 works fine on the full page

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #411: June 19, 2013, 12:51:20 PM »
:shrug:
Maybe I'm too old to see the screen well anymore. I've tried several browsers - even on my Nexus 7, and find it just too small to be useful. I'm not saying it doesn't render, I'm saying that posting is - and, therefore, I imaging moderating would be - a frustrating experience.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #412: June 19, 2013, 12:52:17 PM »
Wait, is that you logged in as me??????

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #413: June 19, 2013, 12:55:31 PM »

how do I undo  :panic: :bang:

edit, nevermind, back to classic

Offline Nathan

« Reply #414: June 19, 2013, 12:56:10 PM »
:shrug:
Maybe I'm too old to see the screen well anymore. I've tried several browsers - even on my Nexus 7, and find it just too small to be useful. I'm not saying it doesn't render, I'm saying that posting is - and, therefore, I imaging moderating would be - a frustrating experience.

I use my phone and tablet for probably 85% of my wnff browsing/moderation

Wait, is that you logged in as me??????

?  That link takes you to a hidden theme that makes the site a bit better on phones and such.  Not the full mobile site, but better optimized for mobile.  If you clicked on it, you would have been automatically logged in since you are logged in now.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #415: June 19, 2013, 12:57:44 PM »
I'll try that tonight on my tablet. My big problem isn't reading the main page or posts, it's replying. Lots of zooming/unzooming etc.

Thanks for the link!

I use my phone and tablet for probably 85% of my wnff browsing/moderation

?  That link takes you to a hidden theme that makes the site a bit better on phones and such.  Not the full mobile site, but better optimized for mobile.  If you clicked on it, you would have been automatically logged in since you are logged in now.

Offline TigerFan

• A split allegiance is still an allegiance
« Reply #416: June 19, 2013, 01:06:02 PM »
how do I undo  :panic: :bang:

edit, nevermind, back to classic

How do you go back to classic?

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #417: June 19, 2013, 01:10:16 PM »
How do you go back to classic?

Profile--> look and layout --> change theme

Offline Nathan

« Reply #418: June 19, 2013, 01:10:38 PM »
theme=2 should work, or go into your profile->look and layout->change theme.

Offline TigerFan

• A split allegiance is still an allegiance
« Reply #419: June 19, 2013, 01:37:45 PM »
Thanks guys. 

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #420: June 19, 2013, 01:40:23 PM »
theme=2 should work, or go into your profile->look and layout->change theme.
How many themes are there,  and how does one discover them?  Are they things you created,  or part of board software?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #421: June 19, 2013, 01:47:54 PM »
Well, there's Theme for a Summer's Day, which goes back to when I was a baby.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #422: June 19, 2013, 02:25:12 PM »
How many themes are there,  and how does one discover them?  Are they things you created,  or part of board software?

Chief created them, there's only Classic, 2.0, and mobile.  I don't think 2 is even a thing, but it defaults back to your settings if you put one that doesn't exist.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #423: June 26, 2013, 07:59:45 PM »
I would love a better way to move my cursor when typing. that little indicator doesn't work well for me. Thoughts?

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #424: August 01, 2013, 04:04:45 PM »
Got my new (2nd gen) Nexus 7 last night if anyone wants some "real world" opinions.  I also own a first gen Nexus 7.