Author Topic: How does this video make you feel?  (Read 5470 times)

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
Re: How does this video make you feel?
« Reply #50: October 15, 2012, 07:06:51 PM »
Not singing stupid songs doesn't mean the stadium has to be silent. Or does it? However, if they win games I don't really care one way or the other. I answered the question. If there's only one acceptable answer then perhaps the thread title needs to be modified.

I'm just saying, cheering is pretty gimmicky too if you want to drill down to the bedrock.  I don't see how filling the stadium with that energy is inherently inferior to random incoherent cheering noises.

And obviously I'm not saying you or anyone else has to like it, but I don't see any reason to hate on it.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #51: October 15, 2012, 07:09:11 PM »
Then you'd be fine with an absolutely silent stadium full of spectators?

Spider hates all gimmicks everywhere.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #52: October 15, 2012, 07:14:03 PM »
Then you'd be fine with an absolutely silent stadium full of spectators?

The throwback night was so great, absolutely minimal stadium noise, you could talk to your seatmate without yelling and really hear the buzz from the crowd.  Of course it helped that the Nats won a heck of a game.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #53: October 15, 2012, 07:17:57 PM »
The throwback night was so great, absolutely minimal stadium noise, you could talk to your seatmate without yelling and really hear the buzz from the crowd.  Of course it helped that the Nats won a heck of a game.

I meant silent crowd, not silent stadium speakers.  I have no strong opinion on that stuff, but I wouldn't miss it.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #54: October 15, 2012, 07:22:33 PM »
I'm just saying, cheering is pretty gimmicky too if you want to drill down to the bedrock.  I don't see how filling the stadium with that energy is inherently inferior to random incoherent cheering noises.

And obviously I'm not saying you or anyone else has to like it, but I don't see any reason to hate on it.

It would take some doing to explain my position fully. But it's whatever.

When all is said and done though I just hate that type of crap. Plain and simple. There are many things by many posters here that are passionately despised that I perceive as unreasonable and even though I find them irrational the posters still feel that way about certain things. So it's just a matter of preference.

BTW, Chief for some reason sometimes when I hit quote it takes me to another page that asks if I want to send the quote to a friend or some bullcrap like that. I mentioned this to you before so it's still happening.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #55: October 15, 2012, 07:22:49 PM »

What was this about?

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #56: October 15, 2012, 07:26:33 PM »
What was this about?

One of the games against the Giants the team had a throwback jersey night with 1924 uniforms, that night they had no piped in music other than the organist, I don't think anyone missed the usual wall of noise.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #57: October 15, 2012, 07:31:07 PM »
One of the games against the Giants the team had a throwback jersey night with 1924 uniforms, that night they had no piped in music other than the organist, I don't think anyone missed the usual wall of noise.

I remember the game. The uniforms were awesome but I didn't know they did the entire night throwback. That's actually pretty cool.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #58: October 15, 2012, 07:56:38 PM »
I remember the game. The uniforms were awesome but I didn't know they did the entire night throwback. That's actually pretty cool.

The big screen was even black and white the whole night.  Hot as hell that day, fortunately they didn't throw back to the days before AC.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #59: October 15, 2012, 08:24:54 PM »
yeah everyone stood and sung for morse on thursday and he grounded into a double play. 

some fans in our fan base that have their priorities mixed up.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #60: October 15, 2012, 08:37:54 PM »
Don't take offense dude. That's just my personal take on it. I'm just not into all the side bullcrap that people seem to enjoy at games. I'm into the actual game itself and none of that other crap holds even the slightest allure for me. It reminds me of the stupid crap they do at Fenway Park and that they tried to incorporate here with Sweet Caroline.  :asplode:

It might even have been mentioned already after your post, but...

In that same vein, this BS with Bernadina drives me insane. It's stupid, distracting and stupid. Ooh, wave your hands together, how original. What a joke, and the fact it is reminiscent of the tomahawk chop all the more idiotic. It needs to die, fast.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #61: October 15, 2012, 08:38:00 PM »
None of that means I have to like it. Pretty sure I'm not the only one who feels that way. Just freaking win and drop all the gimmicks. 

Dude, it's freaking awesome.  Lighten up - and never go to a hockey game.

Offline Fan037

« Reply #62: October 15, 2012, 08:43:00 PM »
The Aha Sing a Long is great - totally organic

Love it - and it was particularly awesome in the playoffs

Absolutely loved it!  The fact that the fans were so into it is marvelous!!

Offline DC_Nats

« Reply #63: October 15, 2012, 08:43:17 PM »

Don't you guys all already know that "real" baseball fans cheer and enjoy only the game itself. Enjoying anything else in the stadium proves that you are not a true fan of the sport.

Online GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #64: October 15, 2012, 08:44:20 PM »
Any sign of life in the D.C. fanbase - except the wave - is okay with me at this point.

You know who's into it? The players. Werth can't take his eyes off a big noisy crowd. Seems to me that Warehouse is a response to Take on Me.

Offline DC_Nats

« Reply #65: October 15, 2012, 08:52:41 PM »
Not singing stupid songs doesn't mean the stadium has to be silent. Or does it? However, if they win games I don't really care one way or the other. I answered the question. If there's only one acceptable answer then perhaps the thread title needs to be modified.

It's one thing to answer the question; it's quite another to answer it with such anger and judgement. It's obvious that since you don't like it you don't want anyone else to do it.

Me, I could take it or leave it. But if others enjoy it then by all means the Nats should continue to do it.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #66: October 15, 2012, 08:55:46 PM »

In that same vein, this BS with Bernadina drives me insane. It's stupid, distracting and stupid. Ooh, wave your hands together, how original. What a joke, and the fact it is reminiscent of the tomahawk chop all the more idiotic. It needs to die, fast.

besides, he's not a good player

Offline spidernat

« Reply #67: October 15, 2012, 09:05:41 PM »
It's obvious that since you don't like it you don't want anyone else to do it.

:lmao:

I think it was at Wednesday's game when Bernadina came up to bat the crowd was doing it and a group in front of me joined in. Eventually one of them (an older lady) asked why they were doing that and none in her group knew why they were doing it. Someone behind them eventually told them what it was about.

Coladar, I don't think you have to worry about it for very long.

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #68: October 15, 2012, 09:09:18 PM »

The Shark motions are soundless and only happen, at most, once a game. Maybe twice if he's in the OF and makes a good grab. The chop is played REPEATEDLY throughout EACH game and has a really, really annoying chant to go with it. They aren't comparable in my mind.

But I think that the Bernie shark thing is fun, especially for the kids. On what team would you think a kid would be excited to see a bench player pinch hit? As long as they don't do it constantly or add "sound" I'm cool with it.

Actually, I'm OK with most things the crowd does as long as it's not repeated multiple times a game and it happens on a "schedule". By this I mean that I'm OK with "Take On Me" because we know exactly when it will happen - when Morse is walking up - and that it's not going to repeated more than once a game. It might be distracting to the players but they know when it will happen and they know when it will stop. The wave, however, happens randomly, doesn't have a stopping point, and is distracting to the players. Same with "the chop". Repetitive, random, annoying.

And again, "gimmicky" stuff like this gets the kids excited. I don't expect a kid to watch every pitch of the game, and it's nice for them to have something to look forward to and participate in. It even helps them remember player names and positions for the younger ones (in the same way that Werth's beard is memorable). I understand it may be annoying to the adults but at least they don't do it all the time.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #69: October 15, 2012, 09:10:01 PM »
guys come on, the shark thing and take on me is stupid.  No fun allowed.  We can't have the whole stadium singing along and having a good time at a ballgame.

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #70: October 15, 2012, 09:11:27 PM »
guys come on, the shark thing and take on me is stupid.  No fun allowed.  We can't have the whole stadium singing along and having a good time at a ballgame.

:lmao: :thumbs:

Offline spidernat

« Reply #71: October 15, 2012, 09:16:45 PM »
As long as they don't do it constantly or add "sound" I'm cool with it.

So we're in agreement! Take away the sound from Take On Me and I'm cool with it.

No fun allowed. 

Yeah baseball is so boring that you need to inject karaoke to make it fun.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #72: October 15, 2012, 09:19:02 PM »
Sheesh, serious business.

Offline EdStroud

« Reply #73: October 15, 2012, 09:35:33 PM »
Sheesh, serious business.

中日ドラゴンズ

It's OK with me

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #74: October 15, 2012, 10:03:23 PM »
Nobody here has ever been to a football game at Texas A&M, evidently.