Author Topic: Washington Redskins Thread (2012)  (Read 96783 times)

Offline Clever

Re: Washington Redskins Thread (2012)
« Reply #575: August 25, 2012, 10:19:32 PM »
DC Pride foh life!

Offline heeman82

« Reply #576: August 25, 2012, 10:20:26 PM »
Who cares?

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #577: August 25, 2012, 10:43:01 PM »
Let's try to keep it civil and reasonably on topic here, folks.  There's an NFL thread for talking other teams.

Offline Tribe Time

• Long Live LYNYRD SKYNYRD!!!
« Reply #578: August 25, 2012, 10:53:22 PM »
HOW MANY SUPER BOWLS?  CAN YOU DIG IT SUCKA?!?!?!?!?!

(Image removed from quote.)

Scroll up and read.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #579: August 25, 2012, 11:09:59 PM »
Scroll up and read.

you are really bitter at folks who give you no reason to be.

just sayin.

also, lets be real about this.

the Super Bowl is the Championship of the modern NFL era. simple as that. the only people who don't use Super Bowls as a Championship measure are fans who are bitter because their team has not come close to winning one.

once the Browns win one, you'll stop clinging to those pre-modern era Championships as bragging rights.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #580: August 25, 2012, 11:33:06 PM »
you are really bitter at folks who give you no reason to be.

just sayin.

also, lets be real about this.

the Super Bowl is the Championship of the modern NFL era. simple as that. the only people who don't use Super Bowls as a Championship measure are fans who are bitter because their team has not come close to winning one.

once the Browns win one, you'll stop clinging to those pre-modern era Championships as bragging rights.

he doesn't get it.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #581: August 26, 2012, 07:28:30 AM »
Redskins are better than the Browns eh?

Redskins vs Browns
http://www.footballdb.com/teamvsteam.html?tm=8&opp=32

Browns lead all-time series 33-10-1.

Browns = 8 Championships
Redskins = 5 Championships

Hall of Fame Inductees

Cleveland Browns = 16
Washington Redskins = 15

...You're right.  The Redskins are really better than the Browns.

:roll:

Execpt that team left your awful cesspool of a city (it says something when an overview trades up to Baltimore) -  the expansion browns aren't much more than a perennial whipping boy.  Post Free agency,  has any Cleveland team been good,  you know now that players know they're only stuck there for so long?

Offline Tribe Time

« Reply #582: August 26, 2012, 08:54:37 AM »
Execpt that team left your awful cesspool of a city (it says something when an overview trades up to Baltimore) -  the expansion browns aren't much more than a perennial whipping boy.  Post Free agency,  has any Cleveland team been good,  you know now that players know they're only stuck there for so long?

You really need to your research before you make bland statements that hold no merit.  The Browns left Cleveland because of one thing.  A NEW STADIUM.  Art Modell wanted the city to build, construct, and fund completely a new stadium for the Browns when one was not needed.  The Stadium had housed the Indians and Browns for years, and was still doing well.  The Indians moved into Jacobs Field (now Progressive Field - in 1994) leaving Municipal Stadium just for the Browns.  Because the Indians had a new stadium Modell got upset and decided to raise cigarette and alcohol prices at Municipal in order to raise more money.  However, Cleveland did not fund the Indians new stadium.  Their owner (at the time) (God rest his soul...) Richard "Dick" Jacobs funded it all on his own. (As did Gordon Gund - former owner of the Cavaliers when they built the Gund Arena (now Quicken Loans Arena)).  Modell angered many fans with his higher prices and sales of alcohol and cigarettes went down.  Now as you all know - alcohol sales in stadiums gain a pretty fair income at every game.  So Art Modell turned to Baltimore, Maryland where his friend was Mayor.  Baltimore's mayor stated they'd build a brand new stadium for Modell and fund a great portion of it.  Modell was happy and then announced the Browns would be leaving Cleveland following the 1995 season.  However in order to do as such, Modell and the NFL had an agreement that an expansion team within 3 years, and that the new owner would be the minority owner of those current Browns, Al Lerner.  It was all agreed upon and the Browns headed out of Cleveland in '95.  Once they moved, Modell fired then Head Coach Bill Belicheck and hired Head Coach Ted Marchibroda.  Mind you Modell is also the same guy who fired the legendary Paul Brown once Modell bought the team, which angered Paul Brown so much, he moved south and started the Cincinnati Bengals.

Now why exactly couldn't the city fund a stadium you may ask?  Simple reason.  The city didn't have the money to help throw for a new stadium.  And why may you ask?  Well, they had a DEMOCRATic politician by the name of Dennis Kucinich who recklessly spent money on expenses that weren't needed....  brand new cars every single year for the police department was just one of those examples.  He did not fund for needed expenditures like schools and roads.  Companies started going belly up and banks were struggling.  He lost a later election to a REPUBLICAN by the name of George Voinovich who brought in auditors from Cleveland's banks to find out each and every unnecessary expenditure and started cutting off what wasn't needed.  He then started putting it back towards the schools, the roads, the parks, etc... Things that WERE needed.  But by then, Kucinich and the rest of his crew had hurt the city to the point where Cleveland couldn't afford to throw money at unnecessary things like a brand new stadium.  The fact Modell couldn't get what he want, angered him and he left.  Modell saw the Indians get a new stadium in 1994 ("Jacobs Field" (which is now Progressive Field)) but that stadium was built and funded by then owner Dick Jacobs.  He also saw the Cavaliers leave Richfield Coliseum for a new stadium, Gund Arena (now Quicken Loans Arena), but like the Indians stadium, it was funded and bought by then owner Gordon Gund.  Three years later, the Browns came back and had a BRAND NEW stadium built in the place of the old stadium (this one though, like Philadelphia, is one of the only 3 stadiums in the NFL with jail cells on the lowest floor of the stadium (Dallas and Philadelphia are the others).  Al Lerner was the one who bought the stadium and funded it.  When coming back the Browns had asked the fans what they wanted the uniforms to look like.  The 2 options were to keep the same classic orange, brown, and white uniforms or to keep that uniform, but put the "Brownie Elf" on the helmet that they used in the 40's.  Needless to say the classic uniforms won by a landslide.  Next thing was to hire a front office.  Carmen Policy and Dwight Clark (former 49ers) came in as President and GM respectively) and from there, they brought in Chris Palmer, a QB coach, as Head Coach.  After 2 years of not escaping more than 5 wins total, Palmer was fired.  Policy then brought in University of Miami Head Coach Butch Davis.  Butch had a few decent/good years but towards the end when the team was collapsing and not winning...somehow got promoted.  Dwight Clark was fired as GM, and Butch Davis then held the title of Head Coach AND GM.  That lasted another year and a half until he was fired.  Carmen Policy had resigned earlier in the year.  Terry Robiskie (who was the offensive coordinator) took over for Butch Davis as interim Head Coach.  Al Lerner, who had been battling illness passes away in 2004 and his son Randy Lerner (a huge soccer fan and owner of the Aston Villa team) takes over.

In 2005, the Browns brought in Phil Savage, a rumored genius from the Ravens to become GM.  The team hired former Bill Parcells, Chris Palmer, and Bill Belicheck assistant Romeo Crennel as Head Coach.  After a lackluster 2005, the Browns went 10-6 in 2006 led by QB Derek Anderson, WR Braylon Edwards, and TE Kellen Winslow Jr.  But after that year, the Browns crashed back to mediocrity.  At the end of 2008, Savage and Crennel were fired.  The team then brought in George Kokinis as GM (another Ravens "genius") (notice a trend here???) and Eric Mangini as Head Coach. Mangini, who was a Cleveland Browns ball boy as a kid, had been recently fired...not less than weeks before, by the New York Jets.  Mangini, although he was able to make the Browns the least penalized team in the NFL, did not run the team well, nor draft well. George Kokinis was fired after only 8 regular season games.  The Browns fans had created a "Brown out" where fans wouldn't show up for the first quarter of games so that when it was televised, the stadium would look empty due to their displeasure.  Fans were extremely upset with the direction of the team and wanted things solved.

Randy Lerner was losing more money and wanted to right the ship.  So in December of 2009, Randy Lerner hired Mike Holmgren as President of the Team.  Holmgren then brought in Tom Heckert Jr. (who's dad was a very successful GM (Browns in the 80's; Dolphins in the 90's) as GM.  Mangini stayed on as Head Coach one more year before being fired as Head Coach.    Holmgren then hired Pat Shurmur in 2011 as the Browns new Head Coach.  Shurmur, who was the Rams Offensive Coordinator at the time, is the nephew of Holmgren's old assistant, Fritz Shurmur.  Shurmur refused to hire an Offensive Coordinator for his first year in Cleveland (the strike modified year) and the team struggled.  Dick Jauron was hired as Defensive Coordinator, with Ray Rhodes as Defensive Assistant.  Before this year started, and seeing a lackluster offense in 2011, Shurmur hired former Vikings Head Coach Brad Childress as Offensive Coordinator.

After seeing 2 years of good drafting with the Holmgren/Heckert Jr. regime, Browns fans have been more hopeful.  This years draft brought players like Trent Richardson, Mitchell Schwartz, Trevin Wade, Josh Gordon, and Travis Benjamin to Cleveland. 

Before the year started, Cleveland Browns owner Randy Lerner sold the team to James "Jimmy" Haslam III (owner of Pilot corp.) for $1 Billion dollars.

Browns fans are one of THE most loyal fans in football.  Cleveland is a football town first and foremost, and once the Browns return to prominence, the league will be more exciting.

Offline Tribe Time

« Reply #583: August 26, 2012, 09:08:42 AM »
Never pick a fight with a Browns fan...

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #584: August 26, 2012, 09:36:53 AM »
For crying out loud... Let us know when any Cleveland team can beat a D.C./Baltimore/Pittsburgh or freak, any team.

Dec. 16th, that will decide. Who's willing to avatar bet that game? I will.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #585: August 26, 2012, 09:53:34 AM »
this clown is crazy

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #586: August 26, 2012, 10:06:55 AM »
Back on topic. Alfred Morris should be the starting rb this year. The guy is just a beast. He's not going to take it to the house on long runs, but I love the power he shows and the ability to fall forward damn near every carry. Might he be the guy? Line played better overall, but still let Griffin get hit too much. Running lanes were bigger though. Chemistry/PT will help that. Team looked good against a lesser team. But it's still only preseason. Waiting for the games that count.

Luck looked good too. He's gonna be a helluva qb. Kid is incredible.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #587: August 26, 2012, 10:19:05 AM »
Gracon really impressed,  moss looks great in the slot,  hankerson is improving,  throw in Davis and Paul,  and it's a nice set of skills players- we should be good this year

Offline Tribe Time

« Reply #588: August 26, 2012, 10:49:26 AM »
For crying out loud... Let us know when any Cleveland team can beat a D.C./Baltimore/Pittsburgh or freak, any team.

http://www.footballdb.com/teamvsteam.html?tm=8&opp=32

Again... Browns are 33-10-1 vs the Redskins.  Last win was 2004.

http://nbauniverse.com/head_to_head/cavaliers_vs_wizards_all_time.htm

Wizards may lead the regular season by 14, but come time when it matters, the playoffs, Cavs hold an 8 game advantage.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/games/head2head.cgi?teams=CLE&from=1901&to=1966&submit=Submit

Not only that, but the Indians hold a sizeable lead over the DC baseball teams.  As you know I am a Nats fan as well, but I'm just proving the fact that you're wrong.  ...Yet again.

In regards to Pittsburgh and Baltimore...

Indians are about .500 with the Pirates, but own the Orioles.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/games/head2head.cgi?teams=CLE&from=1901&to=2012&submit=Submit

Up until the expansion Browns, the Browns OWNED the Steelers.  Granted, I don't use that as an excuse, it just shows why the Steelers own an 8 game regular season lead over us.  We're better overall in Conference Championships and overall championships (4 AAFC and 4 NFL Championships).   They have "6" (more like 5 - the "victory" over the Seahawks wasn't as such) Super Bowls.  They have more Divisional Championships.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Browns%E2%80%93Steelers_rivalry

Cleveland vs Baltimore Colts

Browns hold a 10-5 advantage

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/261016-classic-rewind-when-baltimore-vs-cleveland-meant-colts-vs-browns

Cleveland vs Baltimore Ravens

http://www.atsdatabase.com/Stats/NFL/Cleveland-Browns-vs-Baltimore-Ravens-Football-Results.html

Ravens hold a 13-7 advantage

All together, it's nearly .500 with the Browns taking 17 games, the Colts/Ravens 18

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any more statements you want to make that I can show to you?  Cleveland does very well against the DC Metro area...

Offline Tribe Time

« Reply #589: August 26, 2012, 10:55:33 AM »

And I will as well.  Considering you'll have to face the Browns D, I wouldn't get so happy.  Browns have a top 4 DB core.  Have fun against Joe Haden, T.J. Ward, David Sims, Sheldon Brown, and Trevin Wade.  Phil Taylor (DL) should be back by then, and you'll have even more fun against him, Ahtyba Rubin, and Jabaal Sheard.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #590: August 26, 2012, 11:05:27 AM »
Gracon really impressed,  moss looks great in the slot,  hankerson is improving,  throw in Davis and Paul,  and it's a nice set of skills players- we should be good this year

Except it was pre-season. And even then, the offensive line sucked at pass protection.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #591: August 26, 2012, 11:45:19 AM »
You know.....

I felt really, really, really bad for Cleveland fans when Lebron left.  As you know from my posts at the time, I was pretty angry about it.

Tribe is making me reconsider.

all this crap because everyone didnt bow to your expert analysis (by virtue of you being a Browns fan, which automatically makes you God's Gift To Football) that  RG3 is the next JaMarcus Russell.

Really? Really? #mizvoice

I mean, how dare some disagree with someone from Cleveland? Browns fans are infallible and all-knowing.

Offline Clever

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #593: August 26, 2012, 12:31:12 PM »
Curious question...

Who had the #3 pick in the draft?

Meaning who did the Skins leapfrog in order to get RG3?

I honestly cant remember, but a theory just popped into my head.

Offline Tribe Time

« Reply #594: August 26, 2012, 01:34:24 PM »
Curious question...

Who had the #3 pick in the draft?

Meaning who did the Skins leapfrog in order to get RG3?

I honestly cant remember, but a theory just popped into my head.

And that's something to brag about???  RG3 is not going to be as good as you think.  I'm glad you got him.  I wanted Trent Richardson on the Browns all along.  We didn't need another QB.  I was happy with McCoy.  We got Weeden later - who might I add had very similar stats as RG3 AND beat RG3.

And as far as I remember, you gave up the next 2 years 1st AND 2nd round picks.

Not sure what your point is, but drafting RG3 who is 20/31 (64.5%) 193 yards  2 TD  0 INT in the preseason vs Brandon Weeden who is 25/49  (51%)  297 yards  0TD 1INT  shows any difference considering the Skins have played the Bills, Bears, and Colts in the Pre-Season and the Browns have played the Lions, Packers, and Eagles.  Browns played stiffer competion.  Granted it's only preseason, but you're expected to struggle against good teams.  Your QB struggled against bad teams.

Keep bragging about how you gave up a total of 6 picks to get a guy in RG3.  I'll keep being pleased we didn't give away our future and got a great RB in Trent Richardson.

In the next 2 years we'll be able to focus on improving our right side of our OL and our LB core in the 1st and 2nd round, while you'll be sitting back waiting 'till the 3rd or later rounds.  Have fun with that.

Offline Clever

« Reply #595: August 26, 2012, 01:37:59 PM »
I bet Brandon Weeden could crack the Indians rotation.

Offline Tribe Time

« Reply #596: August 26, 2012, 01:41:30 PM »
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200810190was.htm

Not sure how your screen name fits.  You sure aren't "Clever."  I said the last Browns victory over the Redskins was 2004 and that we hold a 33-10-1 record vs the Skins - lifetime - and you manage to post the 2008 score.  Do you want a cookie?  Let me know when you know how to read AND come closer from your 23 game deficit.

Offline Tribe Time

« Reply #597: August 26, 2012, 01:42:54 PM »
I bet Brandon Weeden could crack the Indians rotation.

I bet he could.

Offline Clever

« Reply #598: August 26, 2012, 01:47:11 PM »
Not sure how your screen name fits.  You sure aren't "Clever."  I said the last Browns victory over the Redskins was 2004 and that we hold a 33-10-1 record vs the Skins - lifetime - and you manage to post the 2008 score.  Do you want a cookie?  Let me know when you know how to read AND come closer from your 23 game deficit.
Considering most of your post consisted of compiling stats between DC and Cleveland head-to-head, I assumed you were referring to the Redskins last victory. And a cookie would actually be really nice right now.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #599: August 26, 2012, 01:49:50 PM »

Call your expansion team whatever you want,  most of those wins were by a franchise now located in baltimore- speaking of,  how many years until the new incarnation can get out?