Author Topic: Torchlight/Torchlight II Thread  (Read 5914 times)

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
Re: Torchlight/Torchlight II Thread
« Reply #25: September 21, 2012, 11:51:52 PM »
So I'd rather ask you, if you've got the time, what the game is like compared to D3. What are the classes? What is the level range?

If it's like D2, I may have to check it out at some point since that game WAS THE crap!

So far, I'd say that apart from the story and art style, Torchlight 2 is the true Diablo 3.  It's got many of the same developers in charge that created Diablo 2 (Max Schaefer, Erich Schaefer, Matt Uelmen from the D2 soundtrack did the TL2 soundtrack, etc).

Where as D3 is online only, TL2 has single player, LAN, and internet games.  You create internet games very much like in D2, naming the game and putting on a password if you wish.  Your character can play anywhere.  So if you don't have internet access, you can play single player and level up for a while, then go to a LAN party and play with friends with the same character and level up more, then play over the internet later, all with the same character.  Not like D2 where online and offline characters were separate.

There are currently 4 classes:

Embermage:  Pretty much your stereotypical mage class. 

Berserker:  A melee class, can use fist weapons and summon spirit animals.

Engineer:  Melee class that can make things like spider mines and other robot-y things.

Outlander:  Ranged character that uses primarily guns like pistols and shotgonnes.

A lot of weapons are NOT class dependent.  Chief is using a shotgonne on his embermage.  Engineers can get gigantic 2 handed wrenches to beat people with and wear a monocle (:lol:).  There are cannons too.  It looks like your character literally took a cannon off of a ship and is walking around blasting people with it.

Level cap is 100.

It is very much like D2 in my eyes.  Also, there is a demo you can try if you don't want to drop the $20 for it until you get to try it.