Author Topic: Beer, Beer, and More Beer (2008-2013)  (Read 160030 times)

Re: Beer, Beer, and More Beer
« Reply #2575: February 17, 2013, 05:16:06 PM »
Batch 19 pre-prohibition lager by Coors is pretty damn good. I like it-- maybe too much.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #2576: February 17, 2013, 05:57:08 PM »
Batch 19 pre-prohibition lager by Coors is pretty damn good. I like it-- maybe too much.

(Image removed from quote.)
Does it have flavor?

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!

« Reply #2578: February 18, 2013, 08:08:42 PM »
Does it have flavor?

It is sorta odd. First in your mouth you feel like you have a standard, decent lager, but towards the end there is a little bite of bitter like an IPA. Tastes a tad dark for a lager even though the color wouldn't suggest it.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #2579: February 27, 2013, 07:22:44 PM »
Mmm... future beer.

And the yeast cake at the bottom.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #2580: February 27, 2013, 11:14:19 PM »
http://www.wjla.com/articles/2013/02/police-disable-pepsi-machine-that-dispensed-beer-in-northeast-85749.html

It looked like a soda machine in front of an apartment building in Northeast D.C., but police say it wasn't as advertised.

The Pepsi machine on Meigs Place in Trinidad dispensed cans of beer for $3.00.

When a neighbor alerted police, they checked and discovered the working beer dispensary.

If you put in your money, you could buy BI which stood for Bud Ice, BL for Bud Light, or a can of the original Schlitz Malt Liquor.

Anyone, no matter their age, could buy if they had $3.00.

Vanessa Sowells, a local landlord, said she complained to the city for months. D.C. police explained another resident alerted officers kids were buying beers, so a sergeant tested the machine and when a large can of beer popped out, he disabled the malt liquor machine Tuesday night.

"I knew it was beer because I saw big people going over there and then I saw little people over there, too," Sowells says.

Thomas Fernanders has two school-age grandchildren living with him, across from the illegal alcohol vending machine. He said he discovered it wasn't Pepsi just two weeks ago.

"If they took a crowbar and opened it up, it is full of beer so they need to remove it," he says.

And he got his wish. Police called the Department of Public Works. It took six men to move the alleged beer-filled machine. Now the question remains: who had the key and kept it full?

Somebody had a good thing going.  $3 for a can of crappy beer.  Gee, who would ever overpay for that stuff?  LOL

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #2581: February 28, 2013, 04:26:10 AM »
That's a great story - good analogy to the Miller Lite crowd

http://www.wjla.com/articles/2013/02/police-disable-pepsi-machine-that-dispensed-beer-in-northeast-85749.html

Somebody had a good thing going.  $3 for a can of crappy beer.  Gee, who would ever overpay for that stuff?  LOL

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #2582: February 28, 2013, 08:30:55 AM »

Damn, there's Yuppie-tucky.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #2583: March 08, 2013, 04:40:50 PM »
Has anyone here had the pleasure of trying anything from Three Floyds?  I'm wondering if it should serve as the tie-breaker in favor of Chicago on my "where's the next city to visit/vacation" list.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #2584: March 08, 2013, 05:09:55 PM »
Has anyone here had the pleasure of trying anything from Three Floyds?  I'm wondering if it should serve as the tie-breaker in favor of Chicago on my "where's the next city to visit/vacation" list.
Nope. They have some kind of imperial stout that's only served one day a year, which is on my lifetime roadtrip bucket list.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #2585: March 08, 2013, 05:29:05 PM »
I have tried many of ThreeFloyds.  The brewer was once the brewer at Rock Bottom in Arlington (when their beer was worthwhile).  ThreeFloyds is definately worth trying, whether one a a hophead or dark beer geek.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #2587: March 21, 2013, 11:17:22 PM »
I have tried many of ThreeFloyds.  The brewer was once the brewer at Rock Bottom in Arlington (when their beer was worthwhile).  ThreeFloyds is definately worth trying, whether one a a hophead or dark beer geek.

I'll keep this in mind.

Just tried Brewer's Art's Resurrection Ale this weekend, which is a great brown ale.  Nice and sweet - could pair well with lots of desserts.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #2588: March 26, 2013, 09:02:18 PM »
We got kicked out of the Air and Space museum on the mall tonight for the opening reception for the craft beer brewers conference.  They were closing off most of the place by 4:00 PM, and kicked everyone out at 5:30.   They were sold out, and expecting 4,000 guests.  It was quite frustrating watching them wheel kegs by containing beers I've never heard of, but that I wanted to try.

here's info about the conference;  http://www.craftbrewersconference.com  $525 to get into the conference.  Tickets for tonight were $50 and included a commemorative glass.   The rest of the event is at the convention center.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #2589: March 26, 2013, 09:04:57 PM »
We got kicked out of the Air and Space museum on the mall tonight for the opening reception for the craft beer brewers conference.  They were closing off most of the place by 4:00 PM, and kicked everyone out at 5:30.   They were sold out, and expecting 4,000 guests.  It was quite frustrating watching them wheel kegs by containing beers I've never heard of, but that I wanted to try.

here's info about the conference;  http://www.craftbrewersconference.com  $525 to get into the conference.  Tickets for tonight were $50 and included a commemorative glass.

Alcohol in a national museum?   An abomination !       It should be confiscated and brought to the park on Monday.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #2590: March 26, 2013, 09:48:45 PM »
Alcohol in a national museum?   An abomination !       It should be confiscated and brought to the park on Monday.

The rent it out all the time,  my wife's old company had a Christmas party there (exhibits without crowds and with beer in hand are great)

Offline mitlen

« Reply #2591: March 26, 2013, 09:54:28 PM »
The rent it out all the time,  my wife's old company had a Christmas party there (exhibits without crowds and with beer in hand are great)

It's about the confiscation and relocation.   "...  exhibits without crowds and with beer in hand are great"   I bet they are.

Offline imref

« Reply #2592: March 26, 2013, 10:36:12 PM »
IMHO the best time one can possibly have in D.C. is to visit the A&S museum on a work/school day.  We try and go whenever the kids have a teacher work day, crowds are always very light.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #2593: March 26, 2013, 10:40:40 PM »
IMHO the best time one can possibly have in D.C. is to visit the A&S museum on a work/school day.  We try and go whenever the kids have a teacher work day, crowds are always very light.

I ride with folks who do a 9/11 commemoration every year.   Meet at Udvar-Hazy on a Sunday morning.   As part of the ride day, they open the A & S Dulles to the riders.    Not very crowded with lots of room to roam and see the exhibits.

Offline imref

« Reply #2594: March 26, 2013, 11:16:56 PM »
I ride with folks who do a 9/11 commemoration every year.   Meet at Udvar-Hazy on a Sunday morning.   As part of the ride day, they open the A & S Dulles to the riders.    Not very crowded with lots of room to roam and see the exhibits.

sounds awesome - another great place to hit when most are in school/work.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #2595: March 26, 2013, 11:24:52 PM »
sounds awesome - another great place to hit when most are in school/work.

...  and free parking.   :)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #2596: March 27, 2013, 08:43:04 AM »

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #2597: March 28, 2013, 10:29:39 AM »
nom nom
----------------------
It is going to be a hoppy-fueled, Rocky Mountain time on Thursday (March 28),
starting at 7 p.m. at The Black Squirrel. Chef Gene Sohn plans to complement the
Colorado suds with Oskar Blues Hops and Heifers Farms Braised Short Ribs. it
also happens to be 1/2-priced burger night.

Six Colorado breweries will be on tap with rare and special beer, including:

•Avery Brewing Co. Black Tot Imperial Stout, Mephistopheles' Imperial Stout,
2012 The Beast Grand Cru, Hog Heaven Barleywine, Maharaja Imperial IPA.
•Funkwerks Tropic King Saison, Saison Belgian-Style Ale, Bastogne Belgian Dark
Ale, and Dark Profit Belgian Strong Dark Ale.
•New Belgium Brewing Co. Lips of Faith Transatlantique Kriek Lambic (only 13
kegs in the US) and Lips of Faith Heavenly Feijoa Tripel.
•Odell Brewing Co. Mercenary Double IPA.
•Oskar Blues Brewing Co. Sandy Saison, Velvet Elvis Stout, oSKAr the G'Rauch
Smoked IPA, and Chardonnay Barrel-Aged Mama's Pils.
•Breckenridge Brewing Co. Pandora's Bock Seasonal Ale.

This event coincides with ½-priced burger night. Our burgers are happy hour
priced from 5:00 until 11:00 p.m.

The Black Squirrel is located at 2427 18th Street NW. www.BlackSquirrelDC.com.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #2598: March 28, 2013, 11:28:51 PM »
nom nom
----------------------
It is going to be a hoppy-fueled, Rocky Mountain time on Thursday (March 28),
starting at 7 p.m. at The Black Squirrel. Chef Gene Sohn plans to complement the
Colorado suds with Oskar Blues Hops and Heifers Farms Braised Short Ribs. it
also happens to be 1/2-priced burger night.

Six Colorado breweries will be on tap with rare and special beer, including:

•Avery Brewing Co. Black Tot Imperial Stout, Mephistopheles' Imperial Stout,
2012 The Beast Grand Cru, Hog Heaven Barleywine, Maharaja Imperial IPA.
•Funkwerks Tropic King Saison, Saison Belgian-Style Ale, Bastogne Belgian Dark
Ale, and Dark Profit Belgian Strong Dark Ale.
•New Belgium Brewing Co. Lips of Faith Transatlantique Kriek Lambic (only 13
kegs in the US) and Lips of Faith Heavenly Feijoa Tripel.
•Odell Brewing Co. Mercenary Double IPA.
•Oskar Blues Brewing Co. Sandy Saison, Velvet Elvis Stout, oSKAr the G'Rauch
Smoked IPA, and Chardonnay Barrel-Aged Mama's Pils.
•Breckenridge Brewing Co. Pandora's Bock Seasonal Ale.

This event coincides with ½-priced burger night. Our burgers are happy hour
priced from 5:00 until 11:00 p.m.

The Black Squirrel is located at 2427 18th Street NW. www.BlackSquirrelDC.com.

i have sadly taken zero advantage of this craft brewers conference week

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #2599: March 29, 2013, 06:43:01 PM »
No longer must one trek to the Red Porch for good beer when enjoying the ambience of the Loft - Flying Dog Amber Lager on tap in the Loft now.    :woop: :cheers:

The only issue was buying rounds for Blue...      :money: