Author Topic: Bally DFA'd by Tigers  (Read 3099 times)

Offline HalfSmokes

Re: Bally DFA'd by Tigers
« Reply #25: May 23, 2012, 09:41:47 AM »
Perry only has one option.

and next year he'll probably be gone for that reason- last guy in the bullpen isn't really hard to find

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #26: May 23, 2012, 12:20:04 PM »
The Perry slot on the 25 man expires when Lidge or Mattheus is ready again.  Bringing back Bally would not be good for him.  My  sense from some of Spinman's post is that both parties are better off going separate ways.  I'm sure if he clears waivers, he'll be happier in Toledo in the Tigers organization  than here on temporary assignment.  It'll be interesting to see if the Tigers work a trade. If I were Ben Cherrington, I'd prefer him to that toad Fat Albers(t), and would not let him get by Boston on  a waiver claim.  Bally might be a guy whose value is enhanced if he clears waivers.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.

Offline Spinman

• Grandpa Spinman
« Reply #28: May 23, 2012, 04:46:39 PM »
Collin being only 25 years old and being healthy makes him a desirable commodity for some teams.  Being with the Tigers organization has been a huge blessing. Being a Toledo MudHen, living close to family, with a chance to get back to the bigs with the Tigers is something to look forward too if he doesn't clear waivers or isn't traded.

Blue Jays,Brewers,Houston, Marlins, Cubs, Mariners could be takers for Collin on a trade or waiver claim.  We will see... but in my heart I will always be a Nationals fan!

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #29: May 23, 2012, 06:06:07 PM »
Collin being only 25 years old and being healthy makes him a desirable commodity for some teams.  Being with the Tigers organization has been a huge blessing. Being a Toledo MudHen, living close to family, with a chance to get back to the bigs with the Tigers is something to look forward too if he doesn't clear waivers or isn't traded.

Blue Jays,Brewers,Houston, Marlins, Cubs, Mariners could be takers for Collin on a trade or waiver claim.  We will see... but in my heart I will always be a Nationals fan!

this post deserves a
:gunz:

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #30: May 23, 2012, 06:30:06 PM »
but in my heart I will always be a Nationals fan!

:worship:

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #31: May 23, 2012, 07:37:20 PM »

In my heart, Ill always be a Bally, Ashley, Roslyn, and Spinman fan!  Hope all works out for the best!

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #32: May 23, 2012, 07:42:39 PM »
As per MLBTR:

Tigers To Designate Collin Balester For Assignment

Rizzo?  Bring him back?  Better than Perry. :shrug:

Do this. Demote Perry.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #33: May 23, 2012, 08:01:10 PM »

Do this. Demote Perry.

Exercise your clout and make it happen.

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #34: May 23, 2012, 11:06:07 PM »

It depends, don't they have to spend an extra few dollars to make that trade? That might hold it up

Offline spidernat

« Reply #35: May 24, 2012, 09:20:52 AM »
It depends, don't they have to spend an extra few dollars to make that trade? That might hold it up

Waiver claim.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #36: May 24, 2012, 11:59:10 AM »

he's the guy who likes the henry rodriguez trade! 

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #37: May 24, 2012, 11:59:35 AM »
but in all seriousness, i wish Bally and the fam the best.  Always one of my favorite prospects and he is a good kid. 

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38: May 24, 2012, 12:04:34 PM »
spidey - we are near the end of the waiver priority list for an AL player.  he has to have everyone pass in the AL and all the teams with worse records in the NL.  We'll be one of the last 3 or so (LAD, ATL, us) depending on the day he is passed through. 

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #39: May 24, 2012, 02:42:01 PM »

Hello Bro Spinman, pass on our best wishes to Bally and fam.  Way to always keep up the great attitude!

Offline Sharp

« Reply #40: May 24, 2012, 08:22:20 PM »
They're pretty much the same pitcher, Perry just had options, Balester didn't.

Career xFIP

Perry - 4.64
Balester - 4.65
Except that Perry's been a reliever his entire career, and pitchers tend to do better in relief.  Balester's splits certainly bear that out.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #41: May 24, 2012, 08:47:27 PM »
Hello Bro Spinman, pass on our best wishes to Bally and fam.  Way to always keep up the great attitude!

That's NATITUDE!

Offline Spinman

• Grandpa Spinman
« Reply #42: May 25, 2012, 01:32:43 PM »
Except that Perry's been a reliever his entire career, and pitchers tend to do better in relief.  Balester's splits certainly bear that out.
Since Collin became a reliever his numbers are:

74.2 innings, 74 K's,36 BB's, ERA of exactly 4.50, 3-5 W-L record and he has given up 14 HR's and 67 hits all  as a reliever.  If he improves on his Walks and giving up the long ball he could be a good longman or 7th inning guy in the future. Still waiting to hear about his fate either from a trade, waiver claim or Mudhen's here we come.  Go Nats!

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43: May 25, 2012, 02:46:12 PM »
I think for the family the Mudhens might be ideal (but for the pay).  Good luck Spin, however it comes out.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #44: May 25, 2012, 02:57:26 PM »
How does the MLB salary and insurance work if someone is DFA'd?

Offline Spinman

• Grandpa Spinman
« Reply #45: May 25, 2012, 03:23:07 PM »
How does the MLB salary and insurance work if someone is DFA'd?

The Tigers have 10 days to either trade him or the final 3 days he goes on waivers. No one knows when he is put on waivers. They could have done it already.

He gets MLB pay until he knows where he is going. If it is the Mudhens then it is Minor league pay and minor league Insurance. His minor league contract was signed when the Tigers signed him to his MLB contract at Spring Training. Believe me.... even the minor league deal is better than flippin' bugers! No offense to anyone who flipps burgers...and its better than flippin' the bird too!  :old: :lol:

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #46: May 25, 2012, 03:35:05 PM »
I just remember Sal Fasano holding onto the hope he'd get called up so he'd have the MLB insurance for the year instead of buying it on his own. Just curious how that side works. Good to see you back!

Offline OldNatsFan

« Reply #47: May 28, 2012, 05:20:43 PM »
I just heard about Bally today when Bob Carpenter said he had been dfa'd. Sorry to hear it. I hope he can get back to the majors again some day.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #48: May 28, 2012, 11:13:02 PM »
Trade Perry or HRod for Bally. No waivers.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #49: May 29, 2012, 10:56:18 AM »
Not to put it too subtley, but Bally is much better off not being here than being here.  He's a good guy, and has a great arm, but this team really needs bullpen pieces that can be sent back and forth to Syracuse, and there will be major league teams that will give him a chance to stick in the majors.  If not, while the pay isn't as good, the Tigers organization still values him, and spending time in Toledo near family is a good consolation prize.  With this team, he'd be squeezed out as soon as Lidge is ready or the mystery veteran is acquired.  It'd probably be great on one level to be with Strasburg, Stammen, and the guys he knows to reconnect when the team is doing well, but on another level he needs to move on to an organization that he can get a good career path.