Author Topic: Nationals @ Braves, Game 1  (Read 15551 times)

Offline CatsEye

• Very weird season -Creepy - What....
Re: Nationals @ Braves, Game 1
« Reply #25: August 17, 2010, 05:25:35 PM »
 Okay, this is a joke, right? This is our line-up for the game.....Holy Cow.....

Well, the Mystics are playing tonight, I think I will watch them -they are only 2 games behind 1rst Place and 1/2 game behind 2nd Place.

OR maybe I'll watch my refrigerator make ice.............  :mg:

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #26: August 17, 2010, 05:25:36 PM »
other than glaus, heyward and prado ... we should contain that line-up and not give up more than 3 runs.  unless olsen pitches like he has been recently since the Nats traded for him.
Fixed

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #27: August 17, 2010, 05:27:01 PM »
You seem to forget the start to the season... or did that not register because you were still going by the name ASSCLOWN.

Offline Potomac Cannons

« Reply #28: August 17, 2010, 05:28:21 PM »
Ross and Glaus are solid, Heyward and Prado will destroy them.

Prado is coming off the DL tonight.  Heyward just missed a game with swelling in his knee and is 6 for his last 46.  Ross is a backup catcher with good numbers but he replaces their best hitter this season in McCann.  Glaus has a .751 OPS and .334 wOBA which is way down the charts for corner IF.

Not much in that lineup at all.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #29: August 17, 2010, 05:28:32 PM »
Ross and Glaus are solid, Heyward and Prado will destroy them.
Glaus is slumping pretty bad right now and Ross?  Seriously?  He's got a decent average, but he's the back-up catcher.  Heyward has slowed down after his hot start.

that lineup really doesn't scare me at all.

Offline Potomac Cannons

« Reply #30: August 17, 2010, 05:30:46 PM »
Glaus is slumping pretty bad right now and Ross?  Seriously?  He's got a decent average, but he's the back-up catcher.  Heyward has slowed down after his hot start.

that lineup really doesn't scare me at all.

Right now I'd go with Conrad and Hinske as the corner IFs there.  That's the best shot they have.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #31: August 17, 2010, 05:35:02 PM »
Prado is coming off the DL tonight.  Heyward just missed a game with swelling in his knee and is 6 for his last 46.  Ross is a backup catcher with good numbers but he replaces their best hitter this season in McCann.  Glaus has a .751 OPS and .334 wOBA which is way down the charts for corner IF.

Not much in that lineup at all.

Thanks for the info - I haven't had time this season to follow anyone but the Nats, not even intradivision.

DPM, my apologies.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #32: August 17, 2010, 05:37:13 PM »
Thanks for the info - I haven't had time this season to follow anyone but the Nats, not even intradivision.

DPM, my apologies.
No worries.  They probably do have the better lineup, I just don't think it's by a considerable margin.  One concern I have is this is a big outfield with big gaps and we've got Morse and Mench on the corners.  Otherwise, it's a pretty even matchup tonight, IMO. 

Offline bglide

• banned
« Reply #33: August 17, 2010, 05:46:39 PM »
First post.  I loathe the Braves.  But what is up with the lineup?  Mench is still in the league drawing paychecks?  Maxwell is terrible. 

Offline blue911

« Reply #34: August 17, 2010, 05:49:43 PM »
Matt Diaz kills lefties and Olsen in particular.

Offline Potomac Cannons

« Reply #35: August 17, 2010, 05:50:04 PM »
No worries.  They probably do have the better lineup, I just don't think it's by a considerable margin.  One concern I have is this is a big outfield with big gaps and we've got Morse and Mench on the corners.  Otherwise, it's a pretty even matchup tonight, IMO. 

Yeesh.  We really do have those corner OFs tonight.  Guess the idea is to outhit them.  I think the Braves are proof of how close we are to contention.  With the lineups healthy we've got a better 3-4-5 but don't yet have the other spots filled with consistent bats.  Bernadina, Desmond and Kennedy could go a long way towards changing that for the last 6 weeks of the season.

We may have more talent at SP, especially once Znn and Maya show up, but the consistent 6-7+ IP starts aren't there yet.  Our bullpen is good enough to compete with theirs. 

Really, filling out the lineup, shoring up some of the defense, and getting the SPs here and plugged in isn't as difficult as it sounds.  We've got the pitching already with more getting close to being ready.  We've got legitimate possibilities in CF and SS with another SS and a C coming up.  I would expect the defense to improve and that may be part of the FA class.  It's not that far away anymore.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #36: August 17, 2010, 05:51:06 PM »
Matt Diaz kills lefties and Olsen in particular.
Then hopefully he goes Balester on them, not in the head though...  (sorry Spinman)

:couch:

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #37: August 17, 2010, 05:53:07 PM »
Fixed

Dude you are the biggest jeckyl and hyde ... you disliked olsen last year, but even at the beginning of this year I remember you saying how he was turning it around or gave him credit for pitching well or something along those lines.  Now you are back to the approach that he sucks and always has?

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #38: August 17, 2010, 05:56:50 PM »

DPM, my apologies.

You're welcome 8)

Potomac I agree, they should go with conrad/hinske.  I've always liked hinske. 

Offline The Rock

« Reply #39: August 17, 2010, 05:59:10 PM »
AND i started this thread, after I saw the nats line-up ... not exactly our A-team, is it?

That's when the offense usually does its best, strangely.

Offline bglide

• banned
« Reply #40: August 17, 2010, 06:00:35 PM »
Braves lineup doesn't scare me.  McCann is their only real hitter, and he's sitting out tonight.  Jason Heyward is one of the most overrated players in the game. 

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #41: August 17, 2010, 06:01:10 PM »
Welcome bglide.  Hopefully your debut brings a nats win.

And as much flaq as j-max catches on here (most of it deservedly so), he does cover a lot of ground and is a solid fielder.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #42: August 17, 2010, 06:02:30 PM »
Morgan's due to come off the DL tomorrow so we should see a whole new OF tomorrow.  Literally.  Should be the return of Hammer, Plush and Bernie.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #43: August 17, 2010, 06:03:26 PM »
Morgan got pulled from his rehab according to Ladson.

I doubt he's back tomorrow.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #44: August 17, 2010, 06:03:32 PM »
Welcome bglide.  Hopefully your debut brings a nats win.

And as much flaq as j-max catches on here (most of it deservedly so), he does cover a lot of ground and is a solid fielder.
Which makes it suck even more about his hitting.  If only he could hit some, he'd be an excellent everyday starter.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #45: August 17, 2010, 06:03:55 PM »
Also, Kilgore is saying Hammer is done for the year.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #46: August 17, 2010, 06:05:09 PM »
So, maybe not a totally new OF.  Might give Mench a stay of execution, so to speak...

Call up Harper.

Edited for info I didn't have when I made the post...

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #47: August 17, 2010, 06:05:36 PM »
Morgan got pulled from his rehab according to Ladson.

I doubt he's back tomorrow.
hmmm...that's not good.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #48: August 17, 2010, 06:05:49 PM »
I really want to see if Whiting offers anything of value at all.

I doubt he'll ever see the light of day, though.

Too bad, among guys with 200 PA's in the IL he's 5th in the league with a 15.3% walk rate. Plus, he's third in the league in steals at 31.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #49: August 17, 2010, 06:09:05 PM »

Blargh - I guess it's good for next year, but I love that guy!