Author Topic: Beer, Beer, and More Beer (2008-2013)  (Read 158324 times)

Offline Dave B

Re: Beer, Beer, and More Beer
« Reply #475: August 01, 2009, 12:15:39 PM »
on bed porking?

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #476: August 01, 2009, 01:51:51 PM »
That's the kind of ABV that can lead to waking up SF&T

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #477: August 01, 2009, 03:08:56 PM »
The new DogFishHead Alehouse will open on August 18th at 13041 Lee Jackson Mem. Highway, Fairfax, VA  22033

TomTerp - are you there ?

Thanks MG, I actually cruised by this morning, there was a sign on the door saying "Opening in 3 weeks".  No telling how long the sign had been there, however.  Unfortunately, I won't be able to make the grand opening, as I have beach plans for the date.

• babble on
« Reply #478: August 01, 2009, 04:28:47 PM »
I decided that 4:27 on a Saturday was as good a time as any to stop working and open an Anchor Porter...damn, that's a nice dark beer. 

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #479: August 01, 2009, 04:55:26 PM »
I decided that 4:27 on a Saturday was as good a time as any to stop working and open an Anchor Porter...damn, that's a nice dark beer. 

Oh yes, it's the standard by which I measure all the other dark, rich, flavorful beers.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #480: August 02, 2009, 12:53:29 PM »
Stella in Belgium, pretty good but you can get far better.
Stella in the US is eh.

It's also a rip-off at US off-licences, at least judging by the prices of 12-packs at Harris Teeter in Pentagon Row - Stella bottles contain just 11.5oz vs 12oz per bottle of Pilsner Urquell, yet they charge the same price. I do like Stella (bit crisper-tasting in bottles than on draught, as a rule), and when you're pub-crawling in London and feel like a proper lager it's the easiest to get, but come on....

Closer to home, they used to have Stella in the 300's at Nationals Park last season (at the bar now selling Budweiser American Ale and Dominion)...this year the new caterers have taken it off and the only imports available in the 300's are Pilsner Urquell (Base Line Brews in outer concourse behind 314; supply sometimes erratic) and Heineken and Dos Equis (in bar next to the mini-Ben's Chili Bowl in the same general area, on the inner concourse - often not open).

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #481: August 02, 2009, 03:05:12 PM »
I've seen Stella in a few places on the main concourse, particularly on the 1st base - right field side.

It's also a rip-off at US off-licences, at least judging by the prices of 12-packs at Harris Teeter in Pentagon Row - Stella bottles contain just 11.5oz vs 12oz per bottle of Pilsner Urquell, yet they charge the same price. I do like Stella (bit crisper-tasting in bottles than on draught, as a rule), and when you're pub-crawling in London and feel like a proper lager it's the easiest to get, but come on....

Closer to home, they used to have Stella in the 300's at Nationals Park last season (at the bar now selling Budweiser American Ale and Dominion)...this year the new caterers have taken it off and the only imports available in the 300's are Pilsner Urquell (Base Line Brews in outer concourse behind 314; supply sometimes erratic) and Heineken and Dos Equis (in bar next to the mini-Ben's Chili Bowl in the same general area, on the inner concourse - often not open).

Offline OldChelsea

« Reply #482: August 02, 2009, 08:03:42 PM »
I've seen Stella in a few places on the main concourse, particularly on the 1st base - right field side.

Earlier this season a seatmate of mine (who has access to seats in a premium 100-level area through his company as well as the STH seats he shares with several others) told me there's Stella at just about every other beer concession in the 100's...trouble is, I'm not sure which, if any, of those concessions is all-access (despite being a Nats charter full STH I have still never patronised any of the concessions in the 100 or 200 levels of Nats Park - after confrontations with attitude-copping staff at the other five teams at which I'm also a STH, I just got weary of such incidents and have stuck with whatever's on offer in the 300's).

But that's the problem with Levy Restaurants - their expertise is in skybox, club and other premium seating areas and they really have very little experience with 'ordinary' seating areas - Centerpoint really didn't do that bad a job in the 300's last season and I was a bit saddened to see Levy beat them out for concession rights this season...as I noted in my earlier post, Levy's track record on beer up in the 300's this season is rather uneven.

• babble on
« Reply #483: August 02, 2009, 10:15:59 PM »
I read somewhere that Stella (at least draught) sold stateside is brewed under license in Wales.  Must be that tasty mine slag infusion in the water.

Offline OldChelsea

« Reply #484: August 03, 2009, 08:59:24 AM »
I read somewhere that Stella (at least draught) sold stateside is brewed under license in Wales.  Must be that tasty mine slag infusion in the water.

Wouldn't be surprised - the Stella sold in England is made at the old Whitbread brewery in (I think) Luton - even the bottles/cans came from there (for a time at least). And the taste could indeed be a tip-off - as I noted earlier the bottled Stella sold in the USA has a crisper taste than the draught.

Demand for the stuff all across Europe is such that the original Horn Brewery in Leuven (Louvain) couldn't possibly keep up - in Croatia, for instance, the Stella sold there is brewed at the Ozujsko brewery on the west side of downtown Zagreb (Ozujsko is, like Stella, owned by InBev). And back in 2003 when I toured the Pilsner Urquell brewery I heard they were planning on opening a second brewery in Poland to handle their increasing demand, but I haven't seen anything further about that.

The bottled Stella sold in the USA, last time I looked, is still from Belgium...and whatever became of the people who'd take the P&O Stena Line ferries to Calais and fill up their cars with a job lot of cases of Stella? I don't hear much about that any more on my annual trips over to London - tax laws must have changed and rubbed out the price advantage, perhaps.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #485: August 03, 2009, 10:01:38 AM »
I'd try again, for none of the beer stands I visit have any territorial rights or issues.  The only place i know of that's limited is in the Diamond Club, directly behind home plate.

Earlier this season a seatmate of mine (who has access to seats in a premium 100-level area through his company as well as the STH seats he shares with several others) told me there's Stella at just about every other beer concession in the 100's...trouble is, I'm not sure which, if any, of those concessions is all-access (despite being a Nats charter full STH I have still never patronised any of the concessions in the 100 or 200 levels of Nats Park - after confrontations with attitude-copping staff at the other five teams at which I'm also a STH, I just got weary of such incidents and have stuck with whatever's on offer in the 300's).

But that's the problem with Levy Restaurants - their expertise is in skybox, club and other premium seating areas and they really have very little experience with 'ordinary' seating areas - Centerpoint really didn't do that bad a job in the 300's last season and I was a bit saddened to see Levy beat them out for concession rights this season...as I noted in my earlier post, Levy's track record on beer up in the 300's this season is rather uneven.

Offline CJames0569

« Reply #486: August 04, 2009, 05:53:37 PM »
I decided today after work to stop by the liquor store and pick up a 6 pack of Upland Wheat Ale...can't beat it

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #487: August 04, 2009, 06:08:38 PM »

Actually Stella is in 11.2 ounce bottles.  Though in North America most drinks are sold in 12 ounce (355ml), in Europe 11.2 ounces is common (330 ml which is close to 1/3 of a liter).  Magner's hard cider also comes in 330 ml bottles.

Delicious stuff, though not beer.

Offline OldChelsea

« Reply #488: August 05, 2009, 08:52:27 AM »
Actually Stella is in 11.2 ounce bottles.  Though in North America most drinks are sold in 12 ounce (355ml), in Europe 11.2 ounces is common (330 ml which is close to 1/3 of a liter).  Magner's hard cider also comes in 330 ml bottles.

(Image removed from quote.)
Delicious stuff, though not beer.

330mL is indeed pretty much the standard for bottles over there - although I could have sworn I had seen 11.5oz Stella bottles at Harris Teeter Pentagon Row (Northern Virginia's #1 beer cooler) - will have to check next time I'm there. Often, foreign brewers will devise special sizes just for the US market (such as the aforementioned full 12oz bottles for Urquell).

In Europe also, many of the popular brands are often available in 440mL (25% bigger) or even 500mL cans - great value and just the ticket if all the pubs in the neighbourhood are commandeered for private parties (a problem sometimes in England during the run-up to Christmas). Bottles of 500mL are also sometimes found - including my all-time favourite lager, Zlatorog from Slovenia.

Magner's cider is indeed terrific - I've had it on the rocks quite a few times in London (cider has been moving upmarket there for the past few years). It's also available on draught at Union Jack's in Ballston - will have to try it in that configuration sometime. (In London pubs the normal draught cider is Strongbow...which on draught is, for some reason, a bit sweeter than the stuff in the cans - if you've had Hardcore cider in bottles over here you'll have a fair idea of the taste - and while we're on the subject of Strongbow, the aforementioned Harris Teeter now sells it in 4-packs of 500mL cans.)

Offline Nathan

« Reply #489: August 05, 2009, 05:31:16 PM »
The bottles of Stella I had last night were marked 11,2.  Silly Europeans and their commas instead of periods for the decimal point ;)

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #490: August 05, 2009, 07:09:47 PM »
Bottles of 500mL are also sometimes found - including my all-time favourite lager, Zlatorog from Slovenia.

I had a tasty Slovenian beer once, but it was not Zlatorog. Know of any others perchance?

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #491: August 05, 2009, 10:21:52 PM »

Offline Nathan

« Reply #492: August 05, 2009, 10:41:09 PM »
Indeed!  That stuff is delicious.

Offline OldChelsea

« Reply #493: August 05, 2009, 11:31:46 PM »
I had a tasty Slovenian beer once, but it was not Zlatorog. Know of any others perchance?

The other major Slovene brand is Union, brewed in Ljubljana (just a bit north of the city centre) - rather maltier and less hoppy than Zlatorog.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #494: August 05, 2009, 11:34:31 PM »
The other major Slovene brand is Union, brewed in Ljubljana (just a bit north of the city centre) - rather maltier and less hoppy than Zlatorog.

YES! That's it!!!!! You're the man, OldChelsea!

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #495: August 06, 2009, 04:32:19 PM »
Indeed!  That stuff is delicious.

Really? I didn't think it was that good. My initial reaction was, uggh, I've got 5 more bottles of this to get thru.

This will be on the menu for this evening;

« Reply #496: August 06, 2009, 05:00:12 PM »

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #497: August 06, 2009, 08:00:24 PM »
Hey Guys, I found this link in my travels around the web.

You've heard of Shark Week?  Well someone has started Beer Week.  Starting Aug 16th (I think).

Here's the Link:  http://www.dcbeerweek.com/about.php

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #498: August 07, 2009, 10:14:43 AM »
Hey Guys, I found this link in my travels around the web.

You've heard of Shark Week?  Well someone has started Beer Week.  Starting Aug 16th (I think).

Here's the Link:  http://www.dcbeerweek.com/about.php

Damn - can't make a single one of those events.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #499: August 28, 2009, 04:01:22 PM »
The new Dogfish Head brewpub in Greenbriar shopping center is open now.    :worship:   :woop:  :clap:  :glug: