Author Topic: Minty's "do you still play" thread  (Read 57705 times)

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
Re: Minty's "do you still play" thread
« Reply #375: August 14, 2015, 11:56:20 PM »
Play-in game tonight.  Win or go home. 

THE BEARS WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline whytev

« Reply #376: August 16, 2015, 01:51:22 AM »
1/2 with 2 walks, a single and a pop up. Not bad. Softball is gonna look slow tomorrow.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #377: August 18, 2015, 08:27:40 PM »
So in our playoff game, we had a situation where the opponents have the bases loaded and two outs.  We call a pitch outside and the pitcher throws a sweeping slider that goes in the dirt and gets the hitter to swing.  I do not throw to first because I was under the impression that when 1B is occupied, you do not have to complete the strikeout.  Turns out I was wrong and as I was arguing the pitcher says, "just step on the plate!"  So I oblige, but it happens to coincide with the runner at third coming hard down the line. 

Now, the timing was still in my favor as my foot touched the plate first, but it also didn't matter since the runner missed the plate entirely.  The umpire, still angry that I argued the fact that first was occupied still calls him safe.

Now, I'm fuming.  I object and tell him that I not only beat him to the plate, but in fact he never touched it - pointing to the imprint he left in the dirt three full freaking inches behind the plate.  The umpire tells me that he saw the whole thing and that I wasn't even looking because I was too busy throwing the ball to first base to complete the strikeout.  I give him a look of stupification and produce the ball he claims I threw in my bare hand - saying nothing.  He literally tells me, "I don't care, I called him safe and I say he's safe."

:?

Offline dracnal

« Reply #378: August 19, 2015, 11:30:00 AM »
I'd say he's ready for the majors. Call him up.

Offline HattoriHanzo

• expos/Nats fan since 1980
« Reply #379: August 27, 2015, 11:28:39 PM »
Do your leagues force you to use the new bbcor bats?  Some people are pissed that I still use 33/28 2 3/4 barrel bats from the 90s and early 2000s.  Whenever I got a bat that just had "it" I always picked up 3 to 4 of them.  I have even rolled a few of them for even more pop.  I never got into the new composites even though the younger guys seem to like them and I refuse to sell them my "cheater" bats.   I love TPX c405plus and easton sc888 zcore models.  Too bad easton screwed up the sc900 models.  I'm an old guy and if I gotta swing a drop 3 bat with a smaller barrel, you might as well tell me I have to quit. 

Offline aussienatsfan

« Reply #380: August 28, 2015, 02:05:37 AM »
So in our playoff game, we had a situation where the opponents have the bases loaded and two outs.  We call a pitch outside and the pitcher throws a sweeping slider that goes in the dirt and gets the hitter to swing.  I do not throw to first because I was under the impression that when 1B is occupied, you do not have to complete the strikeout.  Turns out I was wrong and as I was arguing the pitcher says, "just step on the plate!"  So I oblige, but it happens to coincide with the runner at third coming hard down the line. 

Now, the timing was still in my favor as my foot touched the plate first, but it also didn't matter since the runner missed the plate entirely.  The umpire, still angry that I argued the fact that first was occupied still calls him safe.

Now, I'm fuming.  I object and tell him that I not only beat him to the plate, but in fact he never touched it - pointing to the imprint he left in the dirt three full freaking inches behind the plate.  The umpire tells me that he saw the whole thing and that I wasn't even looking because I was too busy throwing the ball to first base to complete the strikeout.  I give him a look of stupification and produce the ball he claims I threw in my bare hand - saying nothing.  He literally tells me, "I don't care, I called him safe and I say he's safe."

:?

I'd have socked him right in his jaw

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #381: August 28, 2015, 07:16:32 AM »
Do your leagues force you to use the new bbcor bats?  Some people are pissed that I still use 33/28 2 3/4 barrel bats from the 90s and early 2000s.  Whenever I got a bat that just had "it" I always picked up 3 to 4 of them.  I have even rolled a few of them for even more pop.  I never got into the new composites even though the younger guys seem to like them and I refuse to sell them my "cheater" bats.   I love TPX c405plus and easton sc888 zcore models.  Too bad easton screwed up the sc900 models.  I'm an old guy and if I gotta swing a drop 3 bat with a smaller barrel, you might as well tell me I have to quit. 

Ours is a wood bat league.  All bats must be approved species of wood and can't be more than a -3 differential.

I'd have socked him right in his jaw

It took everything I had not to.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #382: August 28, 2015, 07:17:10 AM »
Got invited to represent the league in a tournament next weekend.  44 years old and I finally make the all-star team.  :lol:

Offline HattoriHanzo

« Reply #383: September 24, 2015, 05:23:45 PM »
Got invited to represent the league in a tournament next weekend.  44 years old and I finally make the all-star team.  :lol:

Congrats.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #384: October 06, 2015, 09:31:34 PM »
League is trying to get a team to represent in the Holiday Classic in Disney World over Martin Luther King weekend in January.  I've been asked to attend!

Offline HattoriHanzo

« Reply #385: October 21, 2015, 10:57:25 PM »
minty, how was your tournament?  You're a catcher right?

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #386: October 22, 2015, 12:00:05 AM »
Over Columbus Day weekend I traveled to Central Pennsylvania to attend a baseball tournament played under 1864 rules. I intended to be just a fan, but I got drafted onto one of the teams that didn't have enough players. I looked like an idiot wearing modern clothing on that field, but I did go 1-for-3.

Offline HattoriHanzo

« Reply #387: October 22, 2015, 04:36:19 PM »
Over Columbus Day weekend I traveled to Central Pennsylvania to attend a baseball tournament played under 1864 rules. I intended to be just a fan, but I got drafted onto one of the teams that didn't have enough players. I looked like an idiot wearing modern clothing on that field, but I did go 1-for-3.

Is 1864 rules where you drill a runner to get them out?

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #388: October 23, 2015, 10:00:51 AM »
minty, how was your tournament?  You're a catcher right?

I really enjoyed it.  We made the semis but lost to a really good team from Maine. 

Looking forward to going to play in Orlando in January. Wife has already booked the hotel so we're going to make a family vacation out of it!

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #389: October 23, 2015, 10:01:51 AM »

I believe you can also catch the ball on one-hop for an out. 

I don't think "Indian Rubber" is legal - even in 1864 rules, though...  :lol:

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #390: October 23, 2015, 10:06:21 AM »
Really cool happenings in our league's "World Series" Tournament...

http://www.msblnational.com/Featured-Stories/Blog/Roger-Clemens-Takes-the-Hill-at-This-Years-MSBL-World-Series.htm#.Vio-kX6rQ-U

A guy I play against got to face Clemens.

Offline whytev

« Reply #391: October 23, 2015, 03:08:19 PM »

And no helmets. Or black folk.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #392: October 23, 2015, 03:51:41 PM »
And no helmets. Or black folk.

no black folk rule originated in 1887, so they're cool under 1864 rules

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #393: October 27, 2015, 10:36:46 AM »
Anyone here associated with any form of the MSBL?  We're looking for about three more to round out a roster for a tournament in Florida in January. 

Offline HattoriHanzo

« Reply #394: October 30, 2015, 07:19:36 AM »
Anyone here associated with any form of the MSBL?  We're looking for about three more to round out a roster for a tournament in Florida in January. 

Jose Canseco played in the vegas msbl league this season.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #395: October 30, 2015, 09:16:41 AM »
Jose Canseco played in the vegas msbl league this season.

Do you have his phone number?  We could use some thump in the lineup and some 'roids for the rest of the roster.

Offline HattoriHanzo

« Reply #396: October 30, 2015, 11:56:58 PM »
Do you have his phone number?  We could use some thump in the lineup and some 'roids for the rest of the roster.

Nope and I just know that he was on some tournament winning team earlier this year.  A guy I played with who still plays said he in the 40 or 45 and older division and punishing old men.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #397: December 18, 2015, 03:40:55 PM »
Got our schedule for the tournament in January.  Our second game is against a team called the Miami Marlins and we play them in the big stadium where the Barves play their S.T. games!

:whip:

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #398: December 18, 2015, 04:22:30 PM »
Got our schedule for the tournament in January.  Our second game is against a team called the Miami Marlins and we play them in the big stadium where the Barves play their S.T. games!

:whip:
Awesome. You must be looking forward to that.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #399: December 23, 2015, 01:01:49 PM »
Awesome. You must be looking forward to that.

Definitely.  I can't wait until Christmas morning so I can share the excitement with the kids.