Author Topic: Magic Number: Angelos can suck it and like it  (Read 27694 times)

Offline RobDibblesGhost

Re: That Magic Number: 22 (18 WC)
« Reply #225: September 03, 2012, 10:13:22 PM »
Uh, no? 3 wins division series, 4 wins CS, 4 wins world series = 11. So 11 wins = championship, no matter how many losses.

My bad...it's been a long weekend and my brain's fried  :-[ :doh: :glug: :hammer:

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #226: September 03, 2012, 10:17:49 PM »
7 losses... would have to invest in a defibrillator.

They have a vest you can wear. Will shock you back into rhythm if need be. It is really uncomfortable.

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #227: September 03, 2012, 10:19:21 PM »
They have a vest you can wear. Will shock you back into rhythm if need be. It is really uncomfortable.

Can they be installed into jerseys? :lol:

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #229: September 03, 2012, 10:50:06 PM »
7 losses... would have to invest in a defibrillator.

3-2
4-3
4-3
=
11-8

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #230: September 04, 2012, 07:57:52 AM »
I want to know what Tom Boswell's back-of-the-napkin calculation for Nationals wins was prior to the season.

He said he couldn't believe it, then predicted a much lower number.  Anyone else remember this?  I might ask about it in his next chat.

He was the biggest DC-based cheerleader for the Orioles back in the 80's (his slobbering over Cal Ripken Jr in those days was insufferable) and remains the Post's top 'company man' today. Whatever he comes out with will no doubt reflect the overall sentiment of the paper's editorial board.

Offline skills

« Reply #231: September 04, 2012, 09:52:15 AM »
If the Braves have the same winning percentage over their last 27 games as they did for their first 135, they will finish 91-71. The Nats could go 10-18 and still win the division.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #232: September 04, 2012, 09:55:17 AM »
He was the biggest DC-based cheerleader for the Orioles back in the 80's (his slobbering over Cal Ripken Jr in those days was insufferable) and remains the Post's top 'company man' today. Whatever he comes out with will no doubt reflect the overall sentiment of the paper's editorial board.

Well maybe the board ought to do a little more old fashioned editing of grammar and spelling.

The day’s best development was that Detwiler incorporated the advice of pitching coach Steve McCatty to use his change-up and curveball more as the game progressed and hitter’s got a better bead on his fastball.

:smh:

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #233: September 04, 2012, 10:20:46 AM »
Uh oh

Grammar Nazi is not pleased :nono:

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #234: September 04, 2012, 11:02:17 AM »
Looked at my predictions. Not only wrong on the number of wins but virtually everything else except DJ would finish the season ( how safe was that?).I am not beating myself up as everything jelled even though we would beset with so many injuries and La Roche would carry the team for the early months.96 wins would be great and to remain healthy for the play-offs.

Offline loshjott

Re: That Magic Number: 19 (15 WC)
« Reply #235: September 06, 2012, 10:16:28 AM »
Bump for the magic number below 20.

Offline eddiejc1

• http://www.femfour.com
Re: That Magic Number: 17 (12 WC)
« Reply #236: September 08, 2012, 07:13:09 PM »
Bump!

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #237: September 08, 2012, 09:36:18 PM »
If the Pirates lose tonight the magic number for the playoffs drops to 11.  I know that the real goal is the division, and beyond that home field advantage in the LDS, but still I'm surprised at how little focus there has been on how close we are to clinching our first playoff berth.  All things remaining equal we are on track to clinch the playoffs at home against the Brewers on the Saturday game on 9/22, should be quite a celebration, although I suspect that the players will hold off on the big pile up until the division is won.

As far as clinching the division is concerned, that is almost certain to occur on the road, either in Philly or St. Louis.  Sure would be nice to see the guys pop the champagne bottles in Philly if it can't be here.   

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #238: September 08, 2012, 09:41:15 PM »
Next win takes the 2012 team to places no Washington team has been in my lifetime. For years, I have joked with a guy on a Redskins fan site: we both went to Bunker Hill Elementary, had the same 1st grade teacher about a year apart, and road the same DC Transit bus up South Dakota Avenue. He claims I took his chocolate milk money over the Gil Coan for Roy Sievers trade.

This is beyond joking and foggy memories of Griffith Stadium dressed out for opening day.

Every win beyond today takes the Nats to a place that no Washington team has been since the '30s...closer and closer to record of the '33 team.

This is fun. Nothing but.

Offline eddiejc1

« Reply #239: September 08, 2012, 09:44:57 PM »
The Pirates have nothing to do with making the playoffs. How many times do I have to explain this? There is only ONE wild card team---not two. If the Braves do not overtake us for the division lead, they will only make the playoffs after the play-in game with the other runner-up to become the NL wild card. Not before. If we're in second, I won't consider that we've "made the playoffs" if we are one of the two runner-ups and lose the play-in. Lose the NLDS, and we've had a disappointing postseason, but it's still a postseason. Lose the play-in and we're not in the playoffs at all.

I am paying no attention to the second number because it means nothing. Just as in the America's Cup race, "there is no second" when it comes to the pennant chase.

Offline eddiejc1

« Reply #240: September 08, 2012, 09:50:21 PM »
Welch, even if this team wins 100 games (and I think we've got a good chance), I don't think we're going to have as good a record as the 1933 team. That team had a shorter season than the current Nats and thus a higher winning percentage. We'd have to win 105 games to match that record. It's a shame that a team so good is so little remembered today because they lost the World Series. When the Nats do make the playoffs, they have to make the most of every opportunity.

Offline Hogie

« Reply #241: September 08, 2012, 10:03:34 PM »
it blows my mind that technically a week from now a playoff spot could already be clinched.

Offline eddiejc1

Re: That Magic Number: 17 (11 WC)
« Reply #242: September 08, 2012, 10:52:15 PM »
There's no way we can win the division that fast, and right now the division championship is what the Nats need to keep their eyes on---NOT the two runners-up.

Offline PebbleBall

• Now that right there is baseball.
« Reply #243: September 08, 2012, 11:25:03 PM »
There's no way we can win the division that fast, and right now the division championship is what the Nats need to keep their eyes on---NOT the two runners-up.

But a playoff spot will be clinched sooner than the division.

Offline eddiejc1

« Reply #244: September 08, 2012, 11:39:55 PM »
But a playoff spot will be clinched sooner than the division.

No. There are not two wild card teams----only one. I do not count being one of two teams that will compete for that spot as "making the playoffs." We will only clinch a playoffs spot when we win the divsion and that won't happen in a week. Otherwise, we will compete for a CHANCE for the playoffs which will start only after the wild card play-in.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #245: September 08, 2012, 11:49:44 PM »

No. There are not two wild card teams----only one. I do not count being one of two teams that will compete for that spot as "making the playoffs." We will only clinch a playoffs spot when we win the divsion and that won't happen in a week. Otherwise, we will compete for a CHANCE for the playoffs which will start only after the wild card play-in.

Just because you personally don't count it... doesn't mean it fails to exist.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #246: September 09, 2012, 12:03:42 AM »

No. There are not two wild card teams----only one. I do not count being one of two teams that will compete for that spot as "making the playoffs."

At times like these, I wonder if MDS has an opinion about your opinion.

Offline eddiejc1

« Reply #247: September 09, 2012, 08:31:27 AM »
Just because you personally don't count it... doesn't mean it fails to exist.

As long as the Nats are in first place, they need to focus on the first magic number and ignore the second.  The last thing we neediest for our team to lose the division lead because the team coasts "after they clinch a playoffs spot."

Offline loshjott

« Reply #248: September 09, 2012, 09:46:13 AM »
As long as the Nats are in first place, they need to focus on the first magic number and ignore the second.  The last thing we neediest for our team to lose the division lead because the team coasts "after they clinch a playoffs spot."

Yeah, I'm sure that will happen just because some guys on the internet are posting the WC magic number.

Offline PebbleBall

• Now that right there is baseball.
« Reply #249: September 09, 2012, 10:23:22 AM »

I'm so confused.  I get why you don't like it, and I don't either.  But you can't control how MLB has formatted the post-season.  It's the playoffs, even if it's the scary playoffs.