Author Topic: Washington Redskins thread (2014)  (Read 98091 times)

Online HalfSmokes

Re: Washington Redskins thread (2014)
« Reply #75: February 28, 2014, 01:14:05 PM »
I've been saying it from the beginning, it buys you another year and lets you address other holes this offseason- no real downside

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #76: February 28, 2014, 01:22:54 PM »
So maybe it's your position I have adopted. Either way I think that may be the way to go.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #77: February 28, 2014, 01:24:06 PM »
has anyone else heard cooley's position breakdowns? Either he's an amazing bullcrap artist- perfect for radio- or he belongs in a front office

Offline spidernat

« Reply #78: February 28, 2014, 03:01:33 PM »
There are probably a lot of ex players who can do that but I doubt that alone qualifies them to be in an NFL front office. He may or may not be able to spot raw talent.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #79: February 28, 2014, 03:17:43 PM »
I've heard a lot of ex players speak about football, including ex players with jobs speaking about football, most don't seem particularly insightful let alone competent (literate even seems to be too high a bar for some). Cooley comes off as a film junkie who actually likes analyzing the game (not espn talking head crap, but actually analyzing the game)

Offline spidernat

« Reply #80: February 28, 2014, 03:46:21 PM »
(literate even seems to be too high a bar for some). 

With a lot of them this is probably the biggest issue.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #81: February 28, 2014, 03:47:27 PM »
That and constant blows to the head.
With a lot of them this is probably the biggest issue.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #82: February 28, 2014, 08:41:20 PM »
Ill always be a Cooley fan.  Im fine with tagging Po. Pass on Jackson unless hes dirt cheap and then he'd have to earn a job.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #84: March 02, 2014, 12:57:41 PM »
He's been playing LB for years so there should be no question about whether to tag him as a LB or DE.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #85: March 02, 2014, 01:01:04 PM »
He's been playing LB for years so there should be no question about whether to tag him as a LB or DE.

It's where they're line up and how they're used that matters,  Jimmy Graham has a decent chance of winning his WR case.  If team designations were all that mattered,  every franchise would be carrying 52 guys listed as punters on their rosters

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #86: March 02, 2014, 01:07:02 PM »
The tag is a no brainer. You're not getting to the playoffs next year. Tag him, make him show that he can produce for a full year, then talk about a long term contract.

I realize that there is a lot of hype and fan love for Orakpo, but he is not as good as he was claimed to be. A third of the 3-4 OLBs produced at his level. We can be a good defense without him. We certainly haven't been one with him . . .

Offline spidernat

« Reply #87: March 02, 2014, 02:08:51 PM »
It's where they're line up and how they're used that matters,  Jimmy Graham has a decent chance of winning his WR case.  If team designations were all that mattered,  every franchise would be carrying 52 guys listed as punters on their rosters

:hysterical:  I'm not talking about what they are listed as in the depth chart. Besides, due to uniform numbers a team couldn't get away with designating 52 punters. I'm talking about where he lines up and to my recollection Orakpo has lined up at LB for 75% of snaps.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #88: March 02, 2014, 03:11:47 PM »
What's the difference between lining up as a DE and an OLB? Both are on the end of the line,  traditionally a DE has their hand in the dirt,  but not every DE does that?  The majority of snaps,  Orakpo lines up on the end of the line and bull rushes seems Ling e it could be either position

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #89: March 02, 2014, 03:14:43 PM »
What's the difference between lining up as a DE and an OLB?

Money

Offline Slateman

« Reply #90: March 02, 2014, 03:16:08 PM »
What's the difference between lining up as a DE and an OLB? Both are on the end of the line,  traditionally a DE has their hand in the dirt,  but not every DE does that?  The majority of snaps,  Orakpo lines up on the end of the line and bull rushes seems Ling e it could be either position

DE and OLB have different responsibities, particularly in pass coverage and the run game

Offline spidernat

« Reply #91: March 02, 2014, 03:16:54 PM »
If that were the case then no OLB would ever be labeled OLB. The only DE I ever recall not having his hand on the ground on every snap was Richard Dent and he only did it sparingly. But if an OLB ends up on the strong side he has different responsibilities. It's all just about trying to make more money. I can't say I blame them though. I've heard Jimmy Graham say in interviews that he's probably the best TE in football but now he wants to be recognized as a WR so he can make more money.  :lol:

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #92: March 02, 2014, 03:25:39 PM »
DE and OLB have different responsibities, particularly in pass coverage and the run game

Orakpo seems to not bother with coverage or the run

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #93: March 02, 2014, 03:31:59 PM »
It is interesting. Most analysts I've read think Orakpo is a very good player, but here, everyone thinks he's practice squad caliber.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #94: March 02, 2014, 07:35:34 PM »

Orakpo seems to not bother with coverage or the run

Oh you noticed too?

He's improved against the run. He's acceptable. He's still lost in converage.

It is interesting. Most analysts I've read think Orakpo is a very good player, but here, everyone thinks he's practice squad caliber.

We don't think he's a practice squad player. He's a 4-3 DE playing as a 3-4 OLB. He's a good pass rusher. He may be very good and Haslett is simply holding him back. Though D Hall is blamming Shanny. But he can rush the passer.

The thing is, getting a 3-4 OLB to simply rush the passer isn't that difficult. 15 teams are running a 3-4. Of those, 10 OLBs have 9.5 sacks or more. So, essentially, a third of 3-4 OLBs are able to produce at Orakpo's level. On top of that, Orakpo has made it through one season as a full time starter.

Good (maybe great) pass rusher
Okay against the run
Awful in coverage
Struggles to stay healthy and consistent through the year

How much are you willing to pay that OLB. Is he worth 10 million a year? Would you give him a Demarcus Ware, Clay Matthews, Terrell Suggs type deal?

Then there is Rob Jackson. Personally, I think if he had gotten the same playing time in 2012 that Orakpo got this year, Rob Jackson would have had 8+ sacks. And this season, they basically took a steaming crap all over Jackson because of his suspension. So at this point, we don't have Orakpo without franchising him and we don't have a capable backup because the Skins staff pissed him off.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #95: March 02, 2014, 09:24:32 PM »
So you think Rob Jackson is gone?

Offline Slateman

« Reply #96: March 02, 2014, 11:21:26 PM »
So you think Rob Jackson is gone?
Yep. Dude balled out the last 6 weeks of 2012. He was the best player on the defense and better than Rak has been in any stretch here in DC. After serving his suspension, he couldn't get on the field. Despite having no real pressure from the Dline, he rode the bench. Even though Kerrigan was hurt, Jackson stood on the side line.

Which is too bad. I still think he would be an excellent Hammer ILB. He has a nose for the ball and knows how to deal with blockers.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #97: March 03, 2014, 08:03:05 AM »
After serving his suspension, he couldn't get on the field. Despite having no real pressure from the Dline, he rode the bench. Even though Kerrigan was hurt, Jackson stood on the side line.

That may have been Shanahan's doghouse.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #98: March 03, 2014, 08:15:10 AM »
It probably was. Doesn't mean he wants to stay because Shanny is gone. The Redskins' issues go fad beyond Shanahan.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #99: March 03, 2014, 01:54:51 PM »
Orakpo franchised.