Author Topic: Anyone have 800 million dollars hiding under their mattress ?  (Read 962 times)

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
If so, you can now own the Astros!

BizballMaury -

BREAKING: Astros owner Drayton McLane enlists NY banking firm to more aggressively sell club. Reported asking price w/new RSN in tow: $800M

Offline Sharp

Cool, I'll get on it.  Who wants Hunter Pence?

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
The RSN is nice.

Offline NatsDad14

Paging Jack Johnson

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
You think Soros is interested?  I could see him buying it just to annoy Rick Perry.

$800 MM is more than what the Red Sox plus NESN sold for in 2002, but the Juice Box is probably more lucrative than Fenway.  Forbes had houston at $453 MM this year, without the regional sports network.  #11.  That values the RSN at about $350 MM, or roughly what NESN was worth 8 years ago.  this looks like a credible price.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
Mark Cuban.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
If I did, do you think I'd admit it here?!!!

Forget the Astros, you guys would be on my doorstep!  LOL!

Offline Coladar

Mark Cuban.

I thought it was a sure thing, but Cuban said already he has no interest. Probably has just given up since he knows MLB won't allow him to buy a team after his dalliance with the Cubbies.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
MLB ownership is as much about "the club" as it is about maximizing the money.  This is why MLB set a maximum bid for Washington franchise - they did not want Soros to be the high bidder.  They also take care of execs who don't necessarily have the money but who have been good for baseball.  This explains both Lucchino and Kasten, and probably the new owners of SD as well. 

With the Red Sox, the Werner - Otten - Lucchino group did not really have the money to outbid some local bidders, but because the Sox were owned by a charitable foundation, they needed to make the bid respectable.  Loria wanted out of Montreal, who they wanted to contract, so they worked out the dela where MLB bought Montreal, Loria bought Miami, and Henry was brought in to the Werner group. With that, they outbid O'Donnell and McCourt (who offered prime land for a new stadium on the waterfront in lieu of some cash), or at least got close enough so the Yawkey Trust could make the sale.  Henry has won two of the best pro sports franchises (Red Sox and Liverpool) without being the top bidder for either.

Offline houston-nat

Forbes had houston at $453 MM this year, without the regional sports network.

I wish the lower case "houston" referred to me having $453,000,000. Oh well.

Offline blue911

I wish the lower case "houston" referred to me having $453,000,000. Oh well.

Maybe it's under your mattress back home.