Author Topic: Unread Posts  (Read 2583 times)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Unread Posts
« Topic Start: November 10, 2011, 09:19:41 PM »
"Show unread posts since last visit" is all honked up.

It is taking me back to around 9:30 am posts today, not anything I've read since.

The "Show new replies to your posts" option is working satisfactorily.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
Re: Unread Posts
« Reply #1: November 10, 2011, 09:37:24 PM »
"Show unread posts since last visit" is all honked up.

It is taking me back to around 9:30 am posts today, not anything I've read since.

The "Show new replies to your posts" option is working satisfactorily.

If you don't view every unread page it stays marked as unread.  The alternative is to mark the thread read.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #2: November 10, 2011, 09:45:01 PM »
If you don't view every unread page it stays marked as unread.  The alternative is to mark the thread read.

I have been reading every page in every thread since this morning early, and yet it keeps going back to 9:35 this morning as if I've read no posts since then.

Groundhog day.

This is not a feature  issue, it is a break.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #3: November 10, 2011, 09:52:16 PM »
This feature has worked flawlessly for me since the inception of the board, and tonight it is broken.  I've never before had an issue with it and now, no matter what I do, it keeps going back to the same point in time.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #4: November 10, 2011, 09:53:36 PM »
WTH it's like it's not even showing new posts.  The Ramos thread is still named with the "OMFG" part.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #5: November 10, 2011, 09:54:19 PM »
I have been reading every page in every thread since this morning early, and yet it keeps going back to 9:35 this morning as if I've read no posts since then.

Groundhog day.

This is not a feature  issue, it is a break.

It's a feature issue.  the performance thread is strictly for performance issues - aka, does the site load quickly, or slowly?  That's pretty much all it's for.

As for your problem, try hitting "mark all messages read" and report back.  I might suggest hitting "all unread topics" first.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #6: November 10, 2011, 09:58:44 PM »
It's a feature issue.  the performance thread is strictly for performance issues - aka, does the site load quickly, or slowly?  That's pretty much all it's for.

As for your problem, try hitting "mark all messages read" and report back.  I might suggest hitting "all unread topics" first.

I can read every post, one at a time, slowly in a given thread, and it still puts me back at 9:30 this morning as the last post I've read.  If it's a feature issue, then you must have gutted the feature since I left work at 5:30 pm this afternoon?  Because it worked well until then.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #7: November 10, 2011, 10:00:42 PM »
I can read every post, one at a time, slowly in a given thread, and it still puts me back at 9:30 this morning as the last post I've read.  If it's a feature issue, then you must have gutted the feature since I left work at 5:30 pm this afternoon?  Because it worked well until then.

The performance thread is only for board speed/slow-loading problems.

Also, I get notifications whenever a new thread is created in this section, so creating a thread for your issue will get you assistance in a more timely manner.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #8: November 10, 2011, 10:02:52 PM »
I just restarted my computer, logged back in and am still getting the screen as if it were 9:35 or so this morning.   :shrug:

This has never happened before thus I'm assuming it's a board issue.

Nathan, does the feature work for you? 

Offline The Chief

« Reply #9: November 10, 2011, 10:05:45 PM »
Wasn't able to duplicate the issue from your account.  Try clearing your browser cache, cookies, or the things I suggested a few posts back.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #10: November 10, 2011, 10:06:55 PM »
I just restarted my computer, logged back in and am still getting the screen as if it were 9:35 or so this morning.   :shrug:

This has never happened before thus I'm assuming it's a board issue.

Nathan, does the feature work for you? 

Yes, it has been working fine for me.  Seems almost like a caching issue.  Force refresh maybe?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #11: November 10, 2011, 10:20:28 PM »
Yes, it has been working fine for me.  Seems almost like a caching issue.  Force refresh maybe?

Remind me, how do I force refresh?

Offline The Chief

« Reply #12: November 10, 2011, 10:26:19 PM »
Should be CTRL + F5, I think.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #13: November 10, 2011, 10:28:08 PM »
Remind me, how do I force refresh?

Should be CTRL + F5.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #14: November 11, 2011, 08:40:31 AM »
I logged back in this morning and lo and behold, the force refresh worked, I guess my laptop was for some reason clinging to the past. 

Apologies for my grumpiness.  Chief I did set about trying your suggestions at one point, I was going to "mark all posts as read" in a particular area of the forum, and at that moment I was kicked out and had to log back in, and was unable to do so for quite a while due to the password change that I only became aware of later.  Anyway, all better now, I'll try to be more chipper today.    :koolaid:

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #15: November 11, 2011, 03:45:25 PM »
Getting cranky as you geez. Pretty soon you can move to Florida, pull your pants up to your sternum, shake your fist a lot and complain about the Governemnt full-time.  :old: :old:
I logged back in this morning and lo and behold, the force refresh worked, I guess my laptop was for some reason clinging to the past. 

Apologies for my grumpiness.  Chief I did set about trying your suggestions at one point, I was going to "mark all posts as read" in a particular area of the forum, and at that moment I was kicked out and had to log back in, and was unable to do so for quite a while due to the password change that I only became aware of later.  Anyway, all better now, I'll try to be more chipper today.    :koolaid: