Author Topic: Nats and the 2012 Non-Waiver Trade deadline watch  (Read 88093 times)

Offline DPMOmaha

or Sanchez :pray:

Different Sanchez, but Jonathan Sanchez was DFA'd by the Royals.  Some around here wanted him not too long ago.  He's been pretty terrible in KC, sounds like he didn't like it much there...

Offline Mattionals

As per MLB TR, Apparently there was a Morse for B.J. Upton rumor.

Wrong Upton Rizzo, wrong Upton.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
Absolutely the wrong Upton.

Offline Hogie

Rizzo is just playing them all and he'll finally swing back around and rape the DBacks for the correct Upton.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
Rizzo is just playing them all and he'll finally swing back around and rape the DBacks for the correct Upton.

I'd like to see that crap for sure.

Offline LostYudite

• Naaaa'aah-titude
I swear he's only good against The Nats

At least it seems that way

No, he really is only good against the Nats.  I looked at that a while back after he pwned us the last time.  Take away the Nats and he's a totally average #4 kind of pitcher.  With the Nats, he's a solid #3 guy.

Bonifacio, though, that's a different story.  He figured it out last year - he's got an OBP north of .350 again.  He's really versatile and a switch hitter.  For all the slurping of Span that goes on around here, he's basically Span minus a year, plus positional versatility.  Except that UZR loves Span and hates Bonifacio - but I think that's a UZR problem - Bonifacio plays so many different spots that he doesn't really have enough of an innings base in any position for it to actually level out and speak truth.

Anyway, he's one I wouldn't mind see coming back, if it could be done cheaply.  He's basically what you would hope Lombardozzi grows into.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
The Angels are looking for bullpen help... They're considering trading Peter Bourjous for the right reliever... They talked to the Nationals at one point... Peter isn't doing too good this year.

Offline Mattionals

The Angels are looking for bullpen help... They're considering trading Peter Bourjous for the right reliever... They talked to the Nationals at one point... Peter isn't doing too good this year.

But I think Rizzo is in love with him and he is too valuable to pass up if the team could get him for a reliever.  Send them H-Rod.  :lol:

Offline GMUTrkstar

I'd be willing to give up Sean Burnett to get him but that's not enough to get it done. Maybe throwing in D. Rosenbaum would help. But are we even looking for a CF anymore. When Werth comes back Harper will be in CF so we wouldn't have a place for a new CF in the lineup.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX

Torii Hunter's contract is up at the end of the year. I highly doubt they are willing to give up on Bourjos for bullpen help this year. We'd have to consider tossing in a middle infielder or something as well. While last season may have been his ceiling, I highly doubt he will be this bad again

Offline HalfSmokes

Bourjos has no power and a sub .300 obp- are they really making moves with him slotted in next year?

Offline Slateman

Bourjos has no power and a sub .300 obp- are they really making moves with him slotted in next year?

Last year he was a 4+ WAR player. They're not going to give up on that. Especially with Trumbo's lack of range in one of the corner outfield spots next year.

Offline PebbleBall

• Now that right there is baseball.

The Angels overplayed the hell out of their hand with Bourjos/Trout.  Should've traded him in the offseason.  I wouldn't mind taking a shot, but it's not like a low-level trade for a speedy CF with no power is a new approach for the Nats.  He really is stellar in the field though.

Offline HalfSmokes

Last year he was a 4+ WAR player. They're not going to give up on that. Especially with Trumbo's lack of range in one of the corner outfield spots next year.

I just don't think they're looking at next year with him as a definite- he's a great defensive player, and he had a great year last year, but other than that, he's just a defensive outfielder

Offline Slateman

I just don't think they're looking at next year with him as a definite- he's a great defensive player, and he had a great year last year, but other than that, he's just a defensive outfielder
Huh ... why wouldn't they looking at him next year as definite? They going to re-sign the 36 year old Hunter? They going to start Vernon Wells? I don't think so.

He's one of the best defensive center fielders in baseball who has the capability of hitting 10+ home runs. His BABIP wasn't that high, especially for a speed guy. He's 25 and under team control until 2017. He's basically the AL's version of Cameron Maybin, who just got a nice contract extension. They aren't dealing him unless it's for a big piece. Like Clippard/Storen and a middle infielder

Offline HalfSmokes

He also plays for a team willing to spend to win- sub .300 OBP with little power makes him defense only- who knows what they do, but I wouldn't put him in as a definate

I'm also not saying they deal him - he's cheap and a great defender- not  bad for a 4th outfielder

Offline Slateman

He also plays for a team willing to spend to win- sub .300 OBP with little power makes him defense only- who knows what they do, but I wouldn't put him in as a definate

I'm also not saying they deal him - he's cheap and a great defender- not  bad for a 4th outfielder
Lol he wasn't sub .300 OBP last season when he was playing every day

Offline HalfSmokes

Lol he wasn't sub .300 OBP last season when he was playing every day

he was in 2010, maybe 2011 is the outlier?

Offline Slateman

he was in 2010, maybe 2011 is the outlier?
Maybe 2011 is what he can do as an everyday player

Offline sportsfan882

Milwood has given up 7 runs in less than 5 IP against the Royals tonight. Hopefully that squashes those rumors.

Offline Kentucky_National

• BANG ZOOM
    • My Twitter
Sorry for posting all those Marlins tweets. I just figured I'd post them here, because the other thread gets hardly any traffic or posts. But I definitely agree that it technically doesn't go here.

My bad! :)

Offline LostYudite

• Naaaa'aah-titude
Huh ... why wouldn't they looking at him next year as definite? They going to re-sign the 36 year old Hunter? They going to start Vernon Wells? I don't think so.

He's one of the best defensive center fielders in baseball who has the capability of hitting 10+ home runs. His BABIP wasn't that high, especially for a speed guy. He's 25 and under team control until 2017. He's basically the AL's version of Cameron Maybin, who just got a nice contract extension. They aren't dealing him unless it's for a big piece. Like Clippard/Storen and a middle infielder

Man, we overrate defense-driven WAR guys like nobody's business.  He is like Maybin and I bet you anything the Padres are regretting signing the guy to a five-year deal based off what looked to be a breakout year, but now looks like it might have been a flash in the pan.  You know who else these guys are similar to? Endy Chavez, Nyjer Morgan and Emilio Bonifacio. 

Endy had a 3.1 WAR year with the Mets - Nyjer had a 5.2 WAR season in 2009 and a 4 WAR season last year.  Bonifacio had a 3.3 WAR year last year.  Because UZR is so variable in one year samples and because UZR tends to like these guys, their WARs spike up in years where they are something less than a net minus at the plate.  Not to say they have no value, but I think it's a very finicky skill set that can turn into a major hole at the top of the lineup if they don't maintain their OBP like Bourjos and Maybin this year.  I think we can call off the search for the white whale.  I think we found him and I think his name is Bryce Harper.

Offline Slateman

I'm fine with Harper in CF and Moore in LF. I'd like to see if Moore is legit or not.

But I don't think the Angels trade Borjous unless it's for something big (like Hamels or Grienke). He's on a team that has the offensive juice to make up for his shortcomings at the plate. And he's cheap. Cheaper than any of the players you listed would come. Despite their big spending, that's still valuable to them. And there's always the hope that he can improve. His BAbip is rather low this season, especially for a guy you expect to get infield hits.

Offline hammondsnats

catcher
starting pitcher
outfielder

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
If UZR has that many issue UZR is garbage.  There, I said it.