Author Topic: Throwing the Ball Back  (Read 2006 times)

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
Throwing the Ball Back
« Topic Start: June 09, 2010, 04:21:08 PM »
I have seen it mentioned on here that throwing another team's home run ball back isn't allowed at Nationals Park.

I have to say that is by far the dumbest crap I have ever heard of. Everyone throws the ball back.

Heck, I've seen a Razorback game against LSU where a ball lands in the Razorback bullpen and a pitcher tossed it up to the fans so they could throw it back. That's just baseball.

Offline DPMOmaha

Re: Throwing the Ball Back
« Reply #1: June 09, 2010, 04:22:57 PM »
I have seen it mentioned on here that throwing another team's home run ball back isn't allowed at Nationals Park.

I have to say that is by far the dumbest crap I have ever heard of. Everyone throws the ball back.

Heck, I've seen a Razorback game against LSU where a ball lands in the Razorabck bullpen and a pitcher tossed it up to the fans so they can throw it back. That's just baseball.
This is new territory for Nats Park security too.  Rizzo didn't seem to have an issue with it. 

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #2: June 09, 2010, 04:23:44 PM »
I was impressed. The guy basically caught the ball, and in one motion, he chucked it right back.

All that potential money down the drain.

« Reply #3: June 09, 2010, 04:24:07 PM »
This is new territory for Nats Park security too.  Rizzo didn't seem to have an issue with it. 

I was eight rows up from the guy. Security was as boggled as everyone else.

The guy did right.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #4: June 09, 2010, 04:28:18 PM »
The man did a great job. Fan of the game definitely. The only acceptable time for a fan over 18 to keep a ball hit by the other team may be if it is landmark 100th HR or something. And then that should be cancelled out if it's a rival. If Ryan Howard hits his 500th at National Park, I want whoever catches it to throw it back so far that some scout is impressed by the arm strength.

Offline Section214

« Reply #5: June 09, 2010, 04:28:46 PM »
The guy went to my high school and the story goes that he and the guy he was with had an agreement that if one came there way it was going back and it actually happened. I mean, come on! What are the odds? Proud of the guy none the less. A lesser man would have kept it.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #6: June 09, 2010, 04:40:59 PM »
I would have kept it.  First homer off of Jesus?  Definitely would have kept it to ebay that sucker.  Of course, I've never been to a ballgame anyway, so it would have been cool just to have caught one.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #7: June 09, 2010, 04:44:34 PM »
Leave that stuff for Cubs fans.  The rest is copy cat. Keep it.

Offline blue911

« Reply #8: June 09, 2010, 04:47:36 PM »
I would have kept it.  First homer off of Jesus?  Definitely would have kept it to ebay that sucker.  Of course, I've never been to a ballgame anyway, so it would have been cool just to have caught one.

He would have to hit the ball to Hagersburg or where ever the hell you live  :shock:

Offline Nathan

« Reply #9: June 09, 2010, 04:48:49 PM »
He would have to hit the ball to Hagersburg or where ever the hell you live  :shock:
I guess that means I have to wait for Bryce Harper then ;)

Offline eckseid

« Reply #10: June 09, 2010, 04:54:10 PM »

Heck, I've seen a Razorback game against LSU where a ball lands in the Razorback bullpen and a pitcher tossed it up to the fans so they could throw it back. That's just baseball.

Correction, that's CUBS baseball. Sorry, but if I get a HR ball, I'm keeping it.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #11: June 09, 2010, 04:56:39 PM »
Why would I want to imitate those who imitate Cubs fans?   :roll:  Am I that desperate for recognition, albeit of a disreputable type?  Find a kid and give him/her the ball, and screw the vigilantes who want to dictate what you do with YOUR ball.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #12: June 09, 2010, 05:04:00 PM »
I guess that means I have to wait for Bryce Harper then ;)
Very good!!!!

« Reply #13: June 09, 2010, 05:13:19 PM »
I see the throwing back of the ball as more of a "support for Strasburg" thing than "being like the Cubs" or being one of the people trying to cash in on his success (or failure). I'm not saying throw back all homeruns from opposing teams, only those that make a statement like the one last night.

"We've got you Strasburg, we've got you."

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #14: June 09, 2010, 06:09:29 PM »
I love how sanctimonious people on all sides of this debate get.  Do whatever you want.  I like the principle of throwing it back, personally, but the potential financial gain the guy lost from throwing that ball back cannot be ignored.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #15: June 09, 2010, 06:34:07 PM »
Leave that stuff for Cubs fans.  The rest is copy cat. Keep it.

I agree with this usually, but was quite impressed with this toss back. That fan's defiant throw seemed to say, "Oh no you don't freakers, this night belongs to Nats fans."

And it did.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #16: June 09, 2010, 06:39:01 PM »
To me trhowing it back is a waste of a pefectly good ball. Franyed I  didn't  like the player or the team I'd give it to the closest kid. That said I rarely sit in the outfield seats so it is not an issue.

Offline Spinman

• Grandpa Spinman
« Reply #17: June 09, 2010, 07:35:17 PM »
Nathan? Would you have taken the 20 pieces of silver too? :halo:

Offline Nathan

« Reply #18: June 09, 2010, 07:37:13 PM »
Nathan? Would you have taken the 20 pieces of silver too? :halo:
What?  :lol:  :icon_question:

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #19: June 09, 2010, 07:43:34 PM »
I would have kept it and:

A) Sold it to Strasburg or
B) Sold it to the batter who hit the homer or
C) Sold it to the Baseball Hall of Fame
D) Got it autographed by Strasburg AND the batter... and kept it for future sale

I might have provided contact information to A, B, & C, and waited to see if Strasburg turns out to be everything or more than we expected.  It would raise the price and mean more, to see it surface when everyone is looking back on his accomplishments.

Offline soxfan59

• Gough, Gough White Sox!!!
    • John R. Russell, Ltd.
« Reply #20: June 09, 2010, 07:49:53 PM »
I will have to find the citation, but it is officially against MLB rules for a fan to throw anything onto the field -- penalty is ejection from the stadium.  The Cubs choose not to enforce the rule. I'll find it and get back to you. 

Offline soxfan59

• Gough, Gough White Sox!!!
    • John R. Russell, Ltd.
« Reply #21: June 09, 2010, 07:53:31 PM »
And by the way . . . it has become such an ingrained part of "Cubbishness" that fans are expected to throw back opposing player's home run balls, that many fans bring baseballs to the park so if they are lucky enough to catch a home run ball, they can throw back the fake ball, and not be harassed by the bleacher bums. Of course, its also a tradition at Wrigley Field if the fans don't like an umpire's call, or some similar happening, the fans shower the field with trash.  Its good to be a Cubs fan.  Classy bunch.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #22: June 09, 2010, 07:59:45 PM »
How much would it be worth?  Not a lot.  The first pitch ball would be worth a thousand times more.  Definitely would not end up in the HOF or Strasburg's personal collection.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #23: June 09, 2010, 08:05:33 PM »
How much would it be worth?  Not a lot.  The first pitch ball would be worth a thousand times more.  Definitely would not end up in the HOF or Strasburg's personal collection.

Says you.  Anything is worth what people will pay for it.  I'm sure you could fetch a nice sum for that ball on ebay, or any other auction venue for that matter.

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #24: June 09, 2010, 08:07:50 PM »

It might be worth something on E-Bay to a Pittsburgh fan who likes to brag that they were the first team to homer off him, if he turns out to be a Hall of Fame pitcher. The more of a legend he becomes, the more it might be worth... 

What if Strasburg does not give up another home run... ever?
 :$$$: