Author Topic: John Lannan is a better man than I'll ever be  (Read 17237 times)

Offline hammondsnats

In those four [starts], Lannan has allowed three runs in 26 1/3 innings.

John Lannan
Season:
4-5
45 K/30 BB
.263 AVG
80 IP
Is a better man than i'll ever be

Offline NatsDad14

Where the haters at?

Offline Sharp

Right here.  45 K / 30 BB in 80 IP isn't great.  He was in tons of trouble last night, too.  I expect him to regress significantly over the rest of the season.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
I'm no hater but I'm not a believer, either.  I think how Lannan performs and what the club does with him will be one of the more interesting side stories for the remainder of this season.

Offline PatsNats28

Right here.  45 K / 30 BB in 80 IP isn't great.  He was in tons of trouble last night, too.  I expect him to regress significantly over the rest of the season.

He was inducing a lot of GBs FWIW... keep in mind that Lannan has historically outperformed his peripherals.

Offline UMDNats

He's not going to last the whole year with a sub-4.00 ERA but I'm happy with how he's done in his last couple starts.

My cousin said Lannan looks like the least physically gifted player in baseball. I got a kick out of that. His whole demeanor screams "I shouldn't be playing a sport" but he gets it done.

Offline Sharp

He was inducing a lot of GBs FWIW... keep in mind that Lannan has historically outperformed his peripherals.
2 out of 3 years does not a trend make.

Offline hammondsnats

He's not going to last the whole year with a sub-4.00 ERA but I'm happy with how he's done in his last couple starts.

My cousin said Lannan looks like the least physically gifted player in baseball. I got a kick out of that. His whole demeanor screams "I shouldn't be playing a sport" but he gets it done.

his career ERA is like 4.06 or 4.04.  he is what he is back end starter.

Offline houston-nat

I'm no hater but I'm not a believer, either.  I think how Lannan performs and what the club does with him will be one of the more interesting side stories for the remainder of this season.

e.g., if they can trade him to a team that doesn't want to mess with the Twins' mediocre groundballer trade bait.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
[...]My cousin said Lannan looks like the least physically gifted player in baseball. I got a kick out of that. His whole demeanor screams "I shouldn't be playing a sport" but he gets it done.

He reminds me of Eeyore in the Winnie-the-Pooh books - often his pictures show him with a woebegone expression.

Offline houston-nat

He reminds me of Eeyore in the Winnie-the-Pooh books - often his pictures show him with a woebegone expression.

My favorite Sad Lannan face:

Offline PatsNats28

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
I wonder if they'll non-tender him at the end of the year. We've got pitchers in the minors that can do the same job he does, for a much cheaper rate.

That's not LAC, that's being smart.

Offline PatsNats28

I'd see what we could get for him in a trade... not expecting a haul, but better than nothing.

Offline The Chief

I wonder if they'll non-tender him at the end of the year. We've got pitchers in the minors that can do the same job he does, for a much cheaper rate.

What makes you so sure?  Lannan may not be "all that" but he's still here and those "other guys" aren't.  There may be guys down there now that can do what Lannan does, but they haven't done it yet, and I don't think Rizzo is going to cut Lannan loose unless/until he's sure he's got a replacement.

Offline hammondsnats

What makes you so sure?  Lannan may not be "all that" but he's still here and those "other guys" aren't.  There may be guys down there now that can do what Lannan does, but they haven't done it yet, and I don't think Rizzo is going to cut Lannan loose unless/until he's sure he's got a replacement.

here here :clap:

Offline PatsNats28

Offline The Chief

here here :clap:

It wasn't really a ringing endorsement of Lannan y'know :lol:

I just don't have as much faith in our farm system as Linty seems to.

Offline ghostface

really?  we have guys in the minors that can put up respectable numbers like Lannon - Career ERA 4.04?  please back up your statement with some names.  i see Lannon as a strong #4 or #5 starter down the road when we start contending.

nice work John Lannon!!

Offline houston-nat

This; if, for example, we had assumed that Craig Stammen would just do exactly the same thing as John Lannan, how would that have gone for us? Something about Lannan enables him to sporadically defy the numbers.

I still think we should trade him off if possible - but I wouldn't expect Any Random AAA Starter to produce as he did, though they'd probably be in the same range.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
Lannan has pitched for some terrible Washington teams. Maybe the worst in my lifetime, and I started following the team about 1952. He is plenty good enough, and until some prospect is better, he should stay in the rotation.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
really?  we have guys in the minors that can put up respectable numbers like Lannon - Career ERA 4.04?  please back up your statement with some names.  i see Lannon as a strong #4 or #5 starter down the road when we start contending.

Yes. Tom Milone, Brade Meyers and Brad Peacock should all be able to step in the rotation, today, and provide approximate value to what Lannan brings to the table.

Minor league career:

Tom Milone - 73 GS, 3.08 ERA, 1.16 WHIP, 7.9 K/9, 1.5 BB/9, 0.5 HR/9, 5.36 K/BB
Brad Peacock - 87 GS, 4.16 ERA, 1.27 WHIP, 8.1 K/9, 3.0 BB/9, 0.8 HR/9, 2.72 K/BB
Brad Meyers - 75 GS, 2.93 ERA, 1.21 WHIP, 7.7 K/9, 2.1 BB/9, 0.5 HR/9, 3.60 K/BB
John Lannan - 62 GS, 3.95 ERA, 1.37 WHIP, 6.3 K/9, 3.4 BB/9, 0.6 HR/9, 1.88 K/BB

Offline The Chief

I don't think trading Lannan is worth it unless we can get something real for him, which I don't think is gonna happen.

Offline The Chief

Yes. Tom Milone, Brade Meyers and Brad Peacock should all be able to step in the rotation, today, and provide approximate value to what Lannan brings to the table.

I figured this is what you were getting at, and I don't necessarily disagree, but you can't assume that.  A couple of years ago it might have been okay to get what you can for Lannan and take a chance on any of these guys, but we're too close to the promises the FO is made for them to make that kind of move now.  I think Lannan stays until one of the guys you mention have been up and pitched as well or better than him for at least half a season.

Unless of course you think Rizzo is going to go out and sign 2 FA pitchers.

Offline NatsDad14

I don't see a scenario where Lannan is non-tendered after a sub 4 ERA non-injury season. The team wouldn't do that. For all the minor league hype we have, we still have openings for next year's rotation. As of today, the only guarantees for next year's rotation is JZ and Strasburg and maybe Gorzelanny. Livan and Marquis are free agents.