Author Topic: Cell phones replacing land lines in dugouts.  (Read 2053 times)

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
Cell phones replacing land lines in dugouts.
« Topic Start: January 09, 2013, 01:13:10 AM »
http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/08/mlb-switching-from-land-line-bullpen-phones-to-cell-phones/

Ah, advertising. Anyone else suspect that this will screw someone over somehow? Does Davey even know how to use a cell phone?

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
Re: Cell phones replacing land lines in dugouts.
« Reply #1: January 09, 2013, 05:57:05 AM »
Ugh.

Closed point-to-point network, if anyone else was wondering how this could work.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #2: January 09, 2013, 08:43:02 AM »
HAM radio > all

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #3: January 09, 2013, 08:57:12 AM »
...  semaphore flags

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #4: January 09, 2013, 09:03:23 AM »
how long until a fan brings a jammer to a game?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #5: January 09, 2013, 10:37:34 AM »
They were going to install Morse code machines but . . .
:(

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #6: January 12, 2013, 07:57:19 AM »
 :smh:

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #7: January 12, 2013, 08:36:57 AM »
They are trying it out in a few select stadiums but wont say which stadiums.  They can text and special towers will be installed too.

Offline thepointe01

« Reply #8: January 12, 2013, 11:22:00 AM »
I can see the text now, Johnson before the 9th inning of a one run game, text-Get HRod up...haha lol jk.

« Reply #9: January 12, 2013, 11:29:33 AM »
I was hoping they were going to take a step backward and install full sized bullpen phone booths.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #10: January 12, 2013, 12:01:58 PM »
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mlb/news/20130109/dugouts-managers-wireless-phones.ap/index.html

LAS VEGAS (AP) -- Even dugouts and bullpens might not need that old landline soon.

Major League Baseball and T-Mobile announced Tuesday that the cellphone company will provide wireless devices that managers and pitching coaches can use to make the call to get relievers warming up.

The wireless phones will have docking stations in both sets of dugouts and bullpens, but managers and coaches can carry them. The signal shuts off if the phones are taken outside those areas.

The landline made headlines during Game 5 of the 2011 World Series when St. Louis manager Tony La Russa's instructions were misinterpreted by the bullpen coach and the Cardinals didn't have the right reliever ready to face Texas Rangers slugger Mike Napoli. A go-ahead hit led to a Texas victory, although the Cardinals bounced back to win Games 6 and 7 and take the title.

The wireless phones will automatically ring when pulled from the docking devices, and a swipe when the phone is being carried will make the call as well. Both sets of dugouts and bullpens will have antennas to transmit the signals.

T-Mobile and MLB Advanced Media also are working on other ways to improve digital content for smartphones and tablets. Mike Sievert, chief marketing officer for T-Mobile USA Inc., says digital consumption in baseball is strong and "today's baseball fan is technologically savvy and data hungry."

Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mlb/news/20130109/dugouts-managers-wireless-phones.ap/#ixzz2HmWKl3Dx

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #11: January 12, 2013, 03:15:54 PM »
why is this even a thing?

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #12: January 12, 2013, 04:54:21 PM »
T-Mobile and MLB Advanced Media also are working on other ways to improve digital content for smartphones and tablets. Mike Sievert, chief marketing officer for T-Mobile USA Inc., says digital consumption in baseball is strong and "today's baseball fan is technologically savvy and data hungry."
I guess I understand that, the MLB is trying to entice the younger, tech-savvy generation to a lifetime of baseball fandom (the MLB FanCave is proof of this) and they have probably been successful. T-Mobile also knows that quite a few fans watch MLB.tv on their cellphones, so being able to advertise their unlimited data service that would work with MLB.tv streaming is a good idea.

However in spite of this, REALLY? A lot of baseball has to do with tradition, and cellphones aren't part of that tradition. I really hope the Nats don't transfer over but we'll see. Seeing cellphones in the bullpen at Fenway Park or any equally old/traditional park would be stupid... It makes much more sense in football where communications with QBs is wireless.

Good article on this topic: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/mlb-announces-bullpen-cell-phones/

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #13: January 12, 2013, 05:15:58 PM »
Why phones?  Wouldn't Ipads or some sort of tablet mounted in the dugout make more sense?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #14: January 12, 2013, 06:30:11 PM »
Why phones?  Wouldn't Ipads or some sort of tablet mounted in the dugout make more sense?

I hope they'd have screen protectors!

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #15: January 12, 2013, 06:34:06 PM »

T-Mobile is probably ponying up some big change.

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #16: January 12, 2013, 09:07:42 PM »
Would not want the "selection" to be visible to TV cameras/opponents, and I would think 2 way communication would be important in some situations.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #17: January 12, 2013, 09:19:58 PM »
I can see the text now, Johnson before the 9th inning of a one run game, text-Get HRod up...haha lol jk.

yolo...hrod...lol.

fml.

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #18: January 12, 2013, 11:24:51 PM »
However in spite of this, REALLY? A lot of baseball has to do with tradition, and cellphones aren't part of that tradition. I really hope the Nats don't transfer over but we'll see. Seeing cellphones in the bullpen at Fenway Park or any equally old/traditional park would be stupid... It makes much more sense in football where communications with QBs is wireless.

I suppose that telephones did exist when pro baseball started, but I doubt that bullpen phones were common early in the game's history. Perhaps there is a telegraph somewhere complaining about bullpen phones intruding on tradition?

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #19: January 12, 2013, 11:57:41 PM »
I guess I understand that, the MLB is trying to entice the younger, tech-savvy generation to a lifetime of baseball fandom (the MLB FanCave is proof of this) and they have probably been successful. T-Mobile also knows that quite a few fans watch MLB.tv on their cellphones, so being able to advertise their unlimited data service that would work with MLB.tv streaming is a good idea.

Good article on this topic: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/mlb-announces-bullpen-cell-phones/
we should have rotary phones in the dugouts for the tradition

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #20: January 13, 2013, 12:00:16 AM »
Still want the bullpen golf carts to make a return.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #21: January 13, 2013, 07:30:12 AM »
I actually took a picture of me of the Nats bullpen car the other day. If I find it ill post it.

Offline codedandunited

« Reply #22: January 13, 2013, 08:49:31 AM »
I read somewhere that the traditional phones will still be functional and can still be used, but I can't confirm this.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #23: January 13, 2013, 08:59:14 AM »
Would not want the "selection" to be visible to TV cameras/opponents, and I would think 2 way communication would be important in some situations.
There are ways to keep that hidden if they want to.

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #24: January 13, 2013, 12:04:26 PM »
There are ways to keep that hidden if they want to.
3M privacy filters?

But if it's not visible to the cameras then what's the advertising potential? Phones are a LOT more visible, especially now since the head coach can pace around with it in his hand before making the call.