Author Topic: Thinking about getting a new dog  (Read 11939 times)

Offline ronnynat

Thinking about getting a new dog
« Topic Start: May 01, 2010, 06:48:45 PM »
I might go and take a look at this one. I don't know too much about beagles, though.

Any recommended breeds? I've owned a mastiff and a golden retriever in the past. Both were awesome. I'm not a huge fan of really small breeds.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
Re: Thinking about getting a new dog
« Reply #1: May 01, 2010, 06:52:03 PM »
Wait, is your golden no longer around?   :'(

Let me know if you want a Beagle. I have two of them and you're welcome to take both.   :icon_mrgreen:

Offline Potomac Cannons

« Reply #2: May 01, 2010, 06:52:59 PM »
Raised a purebred beagle while I was in college.  Get him more than average time outside and preferably a regular playmate.  Beagle's are primarily pack dogs and can get a little mischievous if kept inside and without much attention.

Great, very bright dogs. 

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #3: May 01, 2010, 06:53:13 PM »
Wait, is your golden no longer around?   :'(

He passed away pretty much out of no where a couple of months ago. Sucked.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #4: May 01, 2010, 06:55:29 PM »
Raised a purebred beagle while I was in college.  Get him more than average time outside and preferably a regular playmate.  Beagle's are primarily pack dogs and can get a little mischievous if kept inside and without much attention.

Great, very bright dogs. 

Yeah, I want an outdoor dog. My golden retriever was awesome, but he would cry at the door 2 minutes after I let him go outside. I don't care if it's a dumb dog (:lol:) as long as it can be on its own sometimes.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #5: May 01, 2010, 06:57:23 PM »
Ronny, I was going to say that a puppy is too hard to deal with unless you are home a lot, but I guess you are, so that sounds like an awesome idea. Adoptions are also a great idea.

Beagles howl A LOT, keep that in mind, and they need a lot of baths.

I'm particular to Huskies, but unless you have a big place and can go hiking and such, might be tough also. But three baths a year is nice. They actually don't have the dog smell.

Offline Potomac Cannons

« Reply #6: May 01, 2010, 06:58:41 PM »
Yeah, I want an outdoor dog. I don't care if it's a dumb dog (:lol:) as long as it can be on its own sometimes.

Beagle's are right up your alley.  Loads of energy and they love running around for hours on end.

Mine would give one distinct bark, grab the leash in his mouth, and sit attentively at the door when he needed to go out.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #7: May 01, 2010, 06:59:41 PM »
Ronny, I was going to say that a puppy is too hard to deal with unless you are home a lot, but I guess you are, so that sounds like an awesome idea. Adoptions are also a great idea.

Beagles howl A LOT, keep that in mind, and they need a lot of baths.

I'm particular to Huskies, but unless you have a big place and can go hiking and such, might be tough also. But three baths a year is nice. They actually don't have the dog smell.

Yeah, I definitely want a puppy. I work from home so that's not an issue.

Huskies are awesome. I've always wanted a bulldog, but they have a lot of health issues.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #8: May 01, 2010, 07:12:54 PM »
My beagles don't require a lot of baths unless I take them to parks that are filthy and I'm particular about where I take them. They do have the reputation of being howlers but mine don't do much of that at all unless they spot one of their enemies outside the house. However, I'm certain my experience is not the norm with this breed. Beagles are definitely awesome pooches though.

Almost any breed will adapt to spending time alone but you have to accustom them to the idea at an early age (not too early). If you're home a lot and they get used to you being around they will depend on your presence, especially if they don't have a brother or sister around the house to keep them company. That little pooch in the picture looks like a good one. Beware of Beagles getting loose though because they will follow their noses and you'll have a tough time getting them back home.

Offline Potomac Cannons

« Reply #9: May 01, 2010, 07:16:24 PM »
My beagle didn't howl or need baths much either.  I think that will be largely dependent on how the pup is looked after.

Letting him run around outside without knowing you are there is a good idea early on.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #10: May 01, 2010, 07:26:36 PM »

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #11: May 01, 2010, 07:28:28 PM »
Oh, and I've also always wanted a German Shepherd. Haven't found any puppies yet on that site.

Offline Potomac Cannons

« Reply #12: May 01, 2010, 07:32:30 PM »
Yep, that's a Basenji.  I've looked at getting one whenever I get another pup since they're great with allergies.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #13: May 01, 2010, 07:35:41 PM »
Okay, this might be the one: http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/16185380

Yep, that's a Basenji.  I've looked at getting one whenever I get another pup since they're great with allergies.

Yeah, one of my friends had one. Really good dog.

Offline Potomac Cannons

« Reply #14: May 01, 2010, 07:37:35 PM »
Okay, this might be the one: http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/16185380

You just want to throw and tennis ball and yell, "Run Forest Run," as the pup chases it.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #15: May 01, 2010, 07:41:26 PM »
I doubt you want that border collie mix. Those dogs are better off in farms. German Shepherds are good dogs. If you decide not to go with the German Shepherd it looks like Brutus the boxer mix is calling your name. I was going to recommend a boxer earlier.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #16: May 01, 2010, 07:44:52 PM »
If you decide not to go with the German Shepherd it looks like Brutus the boxer mix is calling your name.

That looks like a cool dog. I'm wondering what it's mixed with. Probably retriever.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #17: May 01, 2010, 08:21:53 PM »
That looks like a cool dog. I'm wondering what it's mixed with. Probably retriever.

Yep.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #18: May 01, 2010, 08:28:58 PM »
I'd get a Shiba Inu but I am currently looking at working up to the cactus level of commitment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shiba_Inu

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #19: May 01, 2010, 08:31:10 PM »
I'd get a Shiba Inu but I am currently looking at working up to the cactus level of commitment.

Nice looking one here: http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/15859206

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #20: May 01, 2010, 08:34:10 PM »
Cheech and Chong. :rofl:

Cute but they would go mad during my travels. :(

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #21: May 01, 2010, 08:35:58 PM »
Ever since I saw Cowboy Bebop, Welsh Corgis have been one of my favorite breeds (though I've never owned a dog of any breed :lol: )

Offline saltydad

« Reply #22: May 01, 2010, 08:51:38 PM »
I'm a firm believer in the superiority of mixed breeds. My sister-in-law and brother-in-law are both vets and professors at U of Wisconsin Vet School. They say never get a pure bred. Gotta mix up the genes now and then for health sakes. Plus taking a shelter animal is good for your soul.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #23: May 02, 2010, 09:53:52 PM »
I'm a firm believer in the superiority of mixed breeds. My sister-in-law and brother-in-law are both vets and professors at U of Wisconsin Vet School. They say never get a pure bred. Gotta mix up the genes now and then for health sakes. Plus taking a shelter animal is good for your soul.

Our husky is a rescue! You may have to drive for hours to rescue a purebred, but they need homes too. We lucked into her and saved her from a really bad scene.

Huskies are great for allergies - their oil in their fur traps the dander. I'm allergic to dogs.

Also, every time the baby cries, the dog licks his feet to try and cheer him up. Hilarious.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #24: May 02, 2010, 09:55:47 PM »
Here are a few that I've bookmarked so far:

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/16274615

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/16264370

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/15074839 (I don't know if that's actually a Basenji. Nice looking dog, though)

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/16264903

Boxers have wonderful, wonderful personalities. A Great Dane is a nice dog too. They are pretty calm and don't need a ton of space, and they are sweet as sugar and like kids.