Author Topic: Skiing  (Read 3762 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Re: Skiing
« Reply #50: January 16, 2013, 09:52:30 PM »
1-Bring your own camp chair & reading headlamp.
2-Boys have to keep their own toilet functioning because they are forbidden from using yours.
3-Open windows a few inches from the top to vent the steamy heat better.
4-NEVER choose a top bunk, bottom is best.

add another to your list - bring some tools.  Last time I was there many of the bolts holding the bunks together were loose.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #51: January 16, 2013, 10:12:58 PM »
I've heard things like this before for liability reasons. 8 years seems short though. It CAN be done, obviously. Some people dont want to be responsible for it

Yes, he specifically mentioned liability and the store insurance not covering it.

Offline NationalHeat

« Reply #52: January 17, 2013, 08:19:55 AM »
How much does a good entry level ski set and/or snowboard cost? Any brands or places to buy it at I should look for? Better off renting?

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #53: January 17, 2013, 08:50:17 AM »
How much does a good entry level ski set and/or snowboard cost? Any brands or places to buy it at I should look for? Better off renting?

If you ski alot, buy a set. The renting costs are quite a toll. As for how much one costs, I have no clue.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #54: January 17, 2013, 08:53:50 AM »

My view would be to rent for a while, especially if you are not already expert.  If you buy as a beginner, you'll end up wanting to upgrade before you've saved enough rental fees to have made it economically worthwhile.

Also, ski gear is expensive, it takes quite a few rental periods to cost more than a set of skis/boots/bindings.

Offline NationalHeat

« Reply #55: January 17, 2013, 09:38:00 AM »
Thanks for the advice guys.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #56: January 17, 2013, 05:07:55 PM »
You might be better off renting from a local ski shop than at a resort (unless it's a bigger resort that rents high-end demo equipment). 

Offline Dave B

« Reply #57: January 17, 2013, 05:46:40 PM »

You dont need a good entry level set. If one even exists. Its entry level. Go as cheap as possible. You might want to spend a little more on snowboard boots. Entry level ones might be too soft and make turning harder once you figure it out.  You can probably get a snowboard or ski setup for $300. I think Snowshoe charged like 40 or 50 bucks per day to rent back in 2005. So I'd recommend buying. Maybe even cheap snowboard boots if the price difference is big enough. Its not hard to make your money back.

Regardless of what a salesperson will tell you, you probably dont need good equipment until you are expert level. They is no way 90%-95% of the people I see on the mountain are going fast enough or turning hard enough to make the physical characteristics of the ski/board, other than size, matter.

http://www.the-house.com/cheap-snowboard-boot-binding-packages.html

$261

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #58: January 17, 2013, 05:57:52 PM »
You dont need a good entry level set. If one even exists. Its entry level. Go as cheap as possible. You might want to spend a little more on snowboard boots. Entry level ones might be too soft and make turning harder once you figure it out.  You can probably get a snowboard or ski setup for $300. I think Snowshoe charged like 40 or 50 bucks per day to rent back in 2005. So I'd recommend buying. Maybe even cheap snowboard boots if the price difference is big enough. Its not hard to make your money back.

Regardless of what a salesperson will tell you, you probably dont need good equipment until you are expert level. They is no way 90%-95% of the people I see on the mountain are going fast enough or turning hard enough to make the physical characteristics of the ski/board, other than size, matter.

http://www.the-house.com/cheap-snowboard-boot-binding-packages.html

$261

Ski boots cost that much alone, don't they?

I don't agree on skis not making a difference in turning.  I'm an intermediate, perhaps slightly past (single black diamond ok) but having sharp edges is critical in the typical icy eastern conditions.  Maybe cheap skis have good edges too but it's a critical function.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #59: January 17, 2013, 06:00:38 PM »
Ski boots cost that much alone, don't they?

I don't agree on skis not making a difference in turning.  I'm an intermediate, perhaps slightly past (single black diamond ok) but having sharp edges is critical in the typical icy eastern conditions.  Maybe cheap skis have good edges too but it's a critical function.

you can resharpen cheap skis. what you are paying for on high end skis is stiffness and rebound. i dont think that will make much of a difference for anybody on ice

ski boots appear to have gone up in price since i last worked at sports authority. could have sworn we sold something for like 80 bucks (in 1999).  might take a little digging to find ski boots under $150.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #60: January 19, 2013, 10:46:26 PM »
Went skiing today. I had a lot of fun. It took me quite awhile to get back into the rhythm of skiing but managed to settle in. I tried one of the giant slopes at whitetail, but I failed miserably and didn't enjoy it because I still can't turn effectively so I just gain massive speed would fall when I turn.

Offline imref

« Reply #61: January 20, 2013, 01:43:16 PM »
just got back from Timberline, power was out at the resort from early saturday morning (pre-dawn) until about 2:00 PM, so not much to do until they got it back on.  As a result, our 20 minute free lesson ran well over an hour (since the lifts weren't running).   They did offer everyone the use of Canaan Valley, but didn't get the word out until around 1 PM.  They did have hot lunches though (thanks to outdoor grills and gas-powered fryers).

Offline Slateman

« Reply #62: January 20, 2013, 02:03:42 PM »

For skis, you can go to ski shops and find last year's models with bindings for 400-500. Boots are about 200-300

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #63: January 20, 2013, 10:08:19 PM »
just got back from Timberline, power was out at the resort from early saturday morning (pre-dawn) until about 2:00 PM, so not much to do until they got it back on.  As a result, our 20 minute free lesson ran well over an hour (since the lifts weren't running).   They did offer everyone the use of Canaan Valley, but didn't get the word out until around 1 PM.  They did have hot lunches though (thanks to outdoor grills and gas-powered fryers).

Bummer.  How was the snow?

Offline imref

« Reply #64: January 21, 2013, 09:49:37 AM »
Bummer.  How was the snow?

what snow?  :(  They've got a few beginner trails (including salamander), one intermediate, and one expert slope open, all with man-made snow.  They weren't making snow either, i'm not sure why.  The only evidence of natural winter snow are a few dirty piles on the sides of the road.

the skiing was good on Saturday, as was the weather (sunny/low 40's) but it got really icy at night.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #65: January 21, 2013, 10:02:11 AM »
what snow?  :(  They've got a few beginner trails (including salamander), one intermediate, and one expert slope open, all with man-made snow.  They weren't making snow either, i'm not sure why.  The only evidence of natural winter snow are a few dirty piles on the sides of the road.

the skiing was good on Saturday, as was the weather (sunny/low 40's) but it got really icy at night.

They pretty much make snow all the time except for peak daytime usage, or if the temperature is above the minimum threshold (31 degrees   :shrug: ) or if the power's out.

Well, they've got a month to get their act together before our troop hits the slopes.    :twisted:

Offline imref

« Reply #66: January 21, 2013, 10:20:29 AM »
They pretty much make snow all the time except for peak daytime usage, or if the temperature is above the minimum threshold (31 degrees   :shrug: ) or if the power's out.

Well, they've got a month to get their act together before our troop hits the slopes.    :twisted:

bring a power strip (everyone has something to charge) and a bottle of hand soap (no soap in the bunkhouses).   We also brought a projector and showed a movie in the bunkhouse saturday night on the wall (using a white sheet that we pinned up over a window).

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #67: January 21, 2013, 10:28:01 AM »
bring a power strip (everyone has something to charge) and a bottle of hand soap (no soap in the bunkhouses).   We also brought a projector and showed a movie in the bunkhouse saturday night on the wall (using a white sheet that we pinned up over a window).

All great ideas.  We always place a few hand sanitizer bottles around the place and remind the scouts to use it. 

Also, once the scouts are in for the night and sufficient adult supervision is in place, a walk over to the upstairs room in the Lodge is quite a morale booster.

By the way, looks like they're making snow this morning.

http://www.timberlineresort.com/Winter/webcam.php

• babble on
« Reply #68: January 21, 2013, 10:56:55 AM »
This place sounds like it is in a different galaxy than Vail (where Chilean snow bunnies hand you a tissue as you clump into the mountaintop lodge for $26 raclette). 

Old school.  Stalag 13, "ski ör die!!"

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #69: January 21, 2013, 11:25:19 AM »
This place sounds like it is in a different galaxy than Vail (where Chilean snow bunnies hand you a tissue as you clump into the mountaintop lodge for $26 raclette). 

Old school.  Stalag 13, "ski ör die!!"

Oh yes, Timberline is not the place for needledicks.

I believe however, they have the best natural conditions in the mid-atlantic given the western exposure and altitude. 

Imref and I were comparing notes on the "bunkhouse", which is where they put scouting and other youth groups for exceptionally inexpensive weekends.  Ours slept 30, bunks triple stacked so that you couldn't even sit upright, no furniture at all other than a couple of 7" wide wooden benches.  Primitive heating systems that seem to have only one setting - full blast.  Two toilets prone to clogging.  And the smells that emerge after 3 days of teenage sweatiness can only be described as vaguely organic in nature.  Generally great skiing balanced by terrible food and stark accommodations that are slightly upgraded from staying in a tent. 

It does get cold as crap up there though.  3 winters past when I was there it was 18F BELOW zero at first light, though warmed up to a balmy +18 by afternoon. 

We're going in a few weeks, but having paid our dues we have 4 adult couples staying in a large house adjacent to the slopes, and are going to take pity on our 11th and 12th graders and let them crash in the basement rather than subject them to the indignity of the bunkhouse for a 5th or 6th time.   :lol:  We will eat and drink VERY well.  Some of us prefer cross country skiing anyway, and Canaan Valley has great options for that.

• babble on
« Reply #70: January 21, 2013, 11:35:42 AM »
Nearby Blackwater Falls is a great place for XC skiing.  The guy who runs it (Chip) is a national treasure.

Oh yes, Timberline is not the place for needledicks.

I believe however, they have the best natural conditions in the mid-atlantic given the western exposure and altitude. 

Imref and I were comparing notes on the "bunkhouse", which is where they put scouting and other youth groups for exceptionally inexpensive weekends.  Ours slept 30, bunks triple stacked so that you couldn't even sit upright, no furniture at all other than a couple of 7" wide wooden benches.  Primitive heating systems that seem to have only one setting - full blast.  Two toilets prone to clogging.  And the smells that emerge after 3 days of teenage sweatiness can only be described as vaguely organic in nature.  Generally great skiing balanced by terrible food and stark accommodations that are slightly upgraded from staying in a tent. 

It does get cold as crap up there though.  3 winters past when I was there it was 18F BELOW zero at first light, though warmed up to a balmy +18 by afternoon. 

We're going in a few weeks, but having paid our dues we have 4 adult couples staying in a large house adjacent to the slopes, and are going to take pity on our 11th and 12th graders and let them crash in the basement rather than subject them to the indignity of the bunkhouse for a 5th or 6th time.   :lol:  We will eat and drink VERY well.  Some of us prefer cross country skiing anyway, and Canaan Valley has great options for that.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #71: January 21, 2013, 11:52:00 AM »
Nearby Blackwater Falls is a great place for XC skiing.  The guy who runs it (Chip) is a national treasure.

I've never xc skiid in the area at all but one of the couples are huge into it, and they love Whitegrass as a base.

http://www.whitegrass.com/

You can also XC up on the Sods, but it's rare you can even get up there in the winter (2012 was quite the exception, but there was little snow).

My gear is so old now.  Last time I tried it out of my house in one of those big storms a few years ago, the soles of my boots fell apart.  I'm going to shoe goo them up and give 'em another shot though.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #72: January 21, 2013, 11:56:29 AM »
Here's a cool web cam, you can see Timberline on the left, Canaan Valley State Park on the right, and no snow in between.

http://www.fsvisimages.com/fstemplate.aspx?site=DOSO1

Note that while the camera is called the Dolly Sods webcam, it's looking across Canaan Valley towards Dolly Sods, not positioned on the Sods.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #73: January 21, 2013, 04:04:33 PM »
Just discovered that my ski bindings were recalled by Atomic ... like 5 years ago

• babble on
« Reply #74: January 21, 2013, 04:44:27 PM »
Damned Austrians are good for nothing other than waltzes and gold leaf on chocolate cake.

Just discovered that my ski bindings were recalled by Atomic ... like 5 years ago