Author Topic: Something I noticed in OpenOffice recently...  (Read 1299 times)

Offline PC

Something I noticed in OpenOffice recently...
« Topic Start: August 13, 2007, 06:01:58 PM »
...In the spreadsheet program (Calc), you can copy data from a table on a webpage and it will treat it as imported data.

This must have been done in one of the more recent updates because it wasn't always like this.  As some of you might have noticed from many of my posts, I have a slight obsession with numbers  :lol: and, frequently, copy table data from webpages.  This had always been a nightmare of formatting and macro writing to get the results that I wanted but now it's a piece of cake.

Thank you, OpenOffice.org and your minions, ie your programmers and developers!  :clap:

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
Re: Something I noticed in OpenOffice recently...
« Reply #1: August 13, 2007, 07:03:04 PM »
I wouldn't know...  I don't use OpenOffice because....  I kid you not.... their spreadsheet program doesn't have the same shade of gold that I use in Excel to balance my check book.  Yes, I'm serious, that's really my primary reason for not using it :lol:

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #2: August 13, 2007, 08:48:12 PM »
I wouldn't know...  I don't use OpenOffice because....  I kid you not.... their spreadsheet program doesn't have the same shade of gold that I use in Excel to balance my check book.  Yes, I'm serious, that's really my primary reason for not using it :lol:

Go to Tools-Options and under OpenOffice.org, you can set any color you desire.

I have also used the table copy feature, but am not certain that OO deserves the full praise.  There are several Firefox extensions (I use Data Analytics) that enable the copying of tables into just about every spreadsheet - even the one on Google. 

Safari has this capability as well, working with OO, but not Google's spreadsheet.

IE fails miserably on both.

Offline PC

« Reply #3: August 13, 2007, 09:14:03 PM »
IE fails miserably on both.

I just tried to copy a table from IE into OpenOffice and it worked fine, just like Firefox.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #4: August 13, 2007, 09:15:24 PM »
Never knew we had such a savvy bunch here! ;)

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #5: August 14, 2007, 09:30:54 AM »
I just tried to copy a table from IE into OpenOffice and it worked fine, just like Firefox.

When I try, it puts everything into a single cell.

Here is the IE & OO 2.2 result of the AL Standings from Yahoo:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline PC

« Reply #6: August 14, 2007, 01:04:16 PM »
You could Paste Special it as HTML format.  That would "roughly" import it as data.

For IE, it appears to be tied to the underlying script/code or OO has decided to strategically make Internet Explorer data less importable.  Don't know why they'd do that, though.  ;)