Poll

Assuming both Dmitri and NJ are healthy...Who's on First?

Dmitri Young
5 (23.8%)
Nick Johnson
16 (76.2%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Author Topic: Who's on First?  (Read 2858 times)

Offline heatchucker

Who's on First?
« Topic Start: February 16, 2008, 10:53:12 AM »
I'd like to see Nick Johnson start. Should he get hurt like he always does There is a decent hitting (not fielding) backup. Nick has a leg up just based on fielding percentage. A better fielder makes guys like Zim Felipe Guzman and Belliard much better defensive players

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
Re: Who's on First?
« Reply #1: February 16, 2008, 11:32:04 AM »
I find it silly that anyone would suggest Dmitri as our first baseman...

jbb21

« Reply #2: February 16, 2008, 11:39:41 AM »
I think it will be Dmitri because of how good he is in the clubhouse and mentoring Dukes.  My guess is they'll hope Johnson has a good spring and try to sell him before he gets hurt again.  Sometimes intangibles outweigh stats and I think that's the case here.  They like Dmitri and are planning on him being the guy... we'll see what happens.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #3: February 16, 2008, 11:41:25 AM »
I think Spring training will tell who really deserves it.  I think easing Nick into it is a good idea + the things Jbb21 mentions

« Reply #4: February 16, 2008, 11:56:03 AM »
I think it will be Dmitri because of how good he is in the clubhouse and mentoring Dukes.  My guess is they'll hope Johnson has a good spring and try to sell him before he gets hurt again.  Sometimes intangibles outweigh stats and I think that's the case here.  They like Dmitri and are planning on him being the guy... we'll see what happens.

I wonder how long "being a mentor and clubhouse guy" is going to save him when he doesn't put up outstanding numbers.  He was nothing but filler fluff and that is all he ever is going to be.  He is there until we find someone better be it NJ, Marrero, or someone else.

I'd like nothing more to see NJ take the field Opening Day.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #5: February 16, 2008, 12:36:13 PM »
How is Dmitri just "filler fluff"?  He hit .320 last year and made the All Star team.  Obviously the Nats front office didn't agree with you when they signed Dmitri to a 2 year deal.  He is a capable starter but yes, if NJ is ready the job is his. 

« Reply #6: February 16, 2008, 12:40:35 PM »
How is Dmitri just "filler fluff"?  He hit .320 last year and made the All Star team.  Obviously the Nats front office didn't agree with you when they signed Dmitri to a 2 year deal.  He is a capable starter but yes, if NJ is ready the job is his. 

Give me a break.  Not one person, not one here or in the Nats FO, ever predicted Dmitri would have such a career year as last.  He was signed as fluff.  As filler.  Its a miracle he stuck.  Good for him but he is in the twilight of his career.  He is a bench/DH who only has a starter job now on this team because we didn't have a youngster ready to fill the role of the injured NJ.  If NJ didn't get injured, no way in hell Dmitri would even be playing today.

Its great what he did last year. But we can't treat him as a viable answer to the 1B riddle.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #7: February 16, 2008, 01:07:08 PM »
Give me a break.  Not one person, not one here or in the Nats FO, ever predicted Dmitri would have such a career year as last.  He was signed as fluff.  As filler.  Its a miracle he stuck.  Good for him but he is in the twilight of his career.  He is a bench/DH who only has a starter job now on this team because we didn't have a youngster ready to fill the role of the injured NJ.  If NJ didn't get injured, no way in hell Dmitri would even be playing today.

Its great what he did last year. But we can't treat him as a viable answer to the 1B riddle.
In the short term he is a very viable option at 1B if NJ still can't go.  That is unless one of the young guys like Whitesell or Whitney steps up in ST. 

« Reply #8: February 16, 2008, 01:08:03 PM »
In the short term he is a very viable option at 1B if NJ still can't go.  That is unless one of the young guys like Whitesell or Whitney steps up in ST. 

Which would make it an even more interesting situation....hmmm.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #9: February 16, 2008, 01:09:21 PM »

I'm really interested in seeing how Whitney hits in spring.  The Indians fans were pretty upset that he got away, apparently he's really got some serious line drive pop, not unlike Dmitri in his prime.

natsfan1a

« Reply #10: February 17, 2008, 11:13:54 AM »
Just found a recent Fredericksburg Free Lance-Star piece on Nick:

http://www.fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2008/022008/02162008/356783

Offline heatchucker

« Reply #11: February 17, 2008, 02:29:56 PM »

If this is the case...that Dmitri wins the job because he is a role model and positive in the clubhouse...Hire him as a coach not a 5million dollar player

jbb21

« Reply #12: February 17, 2008, 05:35:17 PM »
Dmitri did have a good year last season.  Some of you act like he sucked.  There's also a difference in hearing something from a coach as opposed to a player.  Younger players look up to vets and a veteran player who's overcome a lot and produces, provides a lot of intangibles.  it seems some of you only look at stats and don't understand that these are humans playing the game and not just numbers or video game pixels.

« Reply #13: February 17, 2008, 05:53:37 PM »
Dmitri did have a good year last season.  Some of you act like he sucked.  There's also a difference in hearing something from a coach as opposed to a player.  Younger players look up to vets and a veteran player who's overcome a lot and produces, provides a lot of intangibles.  it seems some of you only look at stats and don't understand that these are humans playing the game and not just numbers or video game pixels.

Uh oh, sounds like we have another "But He Is A Nice Guy" type of fan to add to the mix.

Johnson is the superior player in stats and production. If he is on, why would you NOT want that in the line up? Young has had one career year heading into the twilight of his career.

People are putting way too much into "leadership", especially when pertaining to Dmitri Young. You want to gush leadership, go become a teacher.  We are trying to get past .500, not score 500 on some college entrance exam.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #14: February 17, 2008, 06:04:55 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if we traded Dmitri to the Twins near mid-season. He'd be with his brother and he could DH for them. They have plenty to offer for him, too. So basically, I'm rooting for the Twins this season in the AL. :D

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #15: February 17, 2008, 06:25:43 PM »
Uh oh, sounds like we have another "But He Is A Nice Guy" type of fan to add to the mix.

Johnson is the superior player in stats and production. If he is on, why would you NOT want that in the line up? Young has had one career year heading into the twilight of his career.

People are putting way too much into "leadership", especially when pertaining to Dmitri Young. You want to gush leadership, go become a teacher.  We are trying to get past .500, not score 500 on some college entrance exam.

If both of these players are on the Nats, and both are healthy, Manny will be starting whoever is clearly the better choice. There is no way they are going to start Young over Johnson if Nick is in 2006 form. The idea that a player would be given a starting job because of his role as a clubhouse leader is ludicrous.

Offline blue911

« Reply #16: February 17, 2008, 06:30:18 PM »
What's funny is that nowhere is Johnson's character brought up. Who's to say the Nick couldn't supply the same baby-sitting er ... leadership as Young ?

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #17: February 17, 2008, 06:30:39 PM »
If both of these players are on the Nats, and both are healthy, Manny will be starting whoever is clearly the better choice. There is no way they are going to start Young over Johnson if Nick is in 2006 form. The idea that a player would be given a starting job because of his role as a clubhouse leader is ludicrous.

QFT

Also, I think it's noteworthy to point out that Acta has never even suggested this would be the case. This is pure speculation from some fans.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #18: February 17, 2008, 06:32:36 PM »
The one scenario no one is discussing is the possibility of NJ being in a whole new '08 form where he's just worse than Dmitri. That could happen, too.

I just hope people recognize what's actually going on THIS year and not holding on to old hopes. I just want the best team on the field. No favorites. The team is still bigger than the individual players.

I'm rooting for Manny's managing abilities more than anything else this season. He's gonna have a tough job.

Offline shoeshineboy

« Reply #19: February 17, 2008, 06:35:53 PM »
What's funny is that nowhere is Johnson's character brought up. Who's to say the Nick couldn't supply the same baby-sitting er ... leadership as Young ?

In the specific case of Duke, a guy like Young is what they need as a mentor. But in many ways, that can be done well (and possibly even better) sitting on the bench. To me, Young is an ideal bench player, weekly sub at 1st, backup in case of injury, and DH during interleague play. The fact that he is a solid clubhouse presence is a bonus. He does not need to have a starting role to be effective. Johnson is starting material and is still in the prime years of his career. If he is not going to be starting (assuming he is healthy and playing well), he may as well be dealt.

Offline shoeshineboy

« Reply #20: February 17, 2008, 06:36:39 PM »
I just want the best team on the field. No favorites. The team is still bigger than the individual players.

Bingo.

Offline blue911

« Reply #21: February 17, 2008, 06:43:55 PM »
I don't think the Nats have enough talent to play favorites. I really don't understand signing Mackowiak for $1.5M.

Offline shoeshineboy

« Reply #22: February 17, 2008, 06:44:49 PM »
I don't think the Nats have enough talent to play favorites. I really don't understand signing Mackowiak for $1.5M.

Bench depth.

Offline blue911

« Reply #23: February 17, 2008, 06:53:03 PM »
Bench depth.

I don't see it. Dukes,Boone,Lopez and Johnson/Young are all coming off the bench ahead of him. Throw in Estrada and that's 13 players.

Offline shoeshineboy

« Reply #24: February 17, 2008, 06:59:29 PM »
I don't see it. Dukes,Boone,Lopez and Johnson/Young are all coming off the bench ahead of him. Throw in Estrada and that's 13 players.

It is depth at this point. We don't know where things will stand by the time we get deep into the Spring. You want as many options as possible.