Author Topic: Follow The Prospects: Brian Goodwin, CF  (Read 52529 times)

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
Re: Follow The Prospects: Brian Goodwin, CF
« Reply #250: August 24, 2013, 02:41:06 PM »
Goodwin was very underwhelming when I saw him at Hagersburg.  Needs a lot of work with his hitting.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #251: August 24, 2013, 04:44:36 PM »
Goodwin was very underwhelming when I saw him at Hagersburg.  Needs a lot of work with his hitting.
Not surprising. Not every prospect is supposed to make it to the majors in their first two years :lol:

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #252: August 26, 2013, 11:14:35 AM »
Saw Goodwin and team at H'Burg yesterday against Erie. Looks unhappy, tho not as sad as Destin Hood. Team came back to beat Erie and take .5 game lead in division, team enthusiastic, Goodwin not so.

Online Slateman

« Reply #253: August 26, 2013, 12:02:54 PM »
Saw Goodwin and team at H'Burg yesterday against Erie. Looks unhappy, tho not as sad as Destin Hood. Team came back to beat Erie and take .5 game lead in division, team enthusiastic, Goodwin not so.

Don't blame Hood for being sad. He should have two titles at Alabama ...

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #254: August 28, 2013, 12:16:47 AM »
The hate on Goodwin is so over the top.

He's got double digits in 2B, 3B, HR and SB. He's got the 15th highest walk rate in the Eastern League... and is top 25 in strikeout to walk rate.

He's an excellent fielder and his future is still bright, regardless if he walks with his head down or not.

Online Slateman

« Reply #255: August 28, 2013, 06:16:18 PM »
The hate on Goodwin is so over the top.

He's got double digits in 2B, 3B, HR and SB. He's got the 15th highest walk rate in the Eastern League... and is top 25 in strikeout to walk rate.

He's an excellent fielder and his future is still bright, regardless if he walks with his head down or not.
This is normal for prospects. I think fans have been spoiled by having 3 guys basically race through the minors. Goodwin will need a year or two to develop. We knew this. Span has an option through 2015

Offline welch

« Reply #256: August 28, 2013, 07:27:27 PM »
I don't hate Goodwin at all. He is a smooth fielder. However, he's playing between Burns and Souza, who are enthusiastic. Burns seems like fireworks exploding. Souza hits. Goodwin seems too quiet, and his average is slipping toward .247. Maybe he's tiring...this is the end of his second profession season...would never have played day after day, taken the long bus-rides.

Offline welch

« Reply #257: September 07, 2013, 03:47:53 PM »
Goodwin has been hitting in the playoff series against Erie. Had an RBI last night in a 4 - 1 win.

Offline Mr Clean

« Reply #258: January 05, 2014, 03:25:55 PM »
Just tweeted: Just got some crazy good news! Boy I'm GEEKED!

Might be nothing. But one never knows.

https://twitter.com/ML_Bg0oD

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #259: January 05, 2014, 04:24:10 PM »

unless he's part of a package for Mike Trout, the actual news will be disappointing.

Offline blue911

« Reply #260: January 05, 2014, 05:32:27 PM »

Big league camp is my guess

Offline amanuel

• what the hell is going on out there?
    • RBSL
« Reply #261: January 05, 2014, 08:02:42 PM »
This article was on his twitter page... Look at what caught my eye.

There’s no denying that the Nationals have found another potential superstar in Brian Goodwin. Some members of the media have even gone as far as saying that Goodwin could become the next Mike Trout. Whether or not Goodwin will live up to his lofty expectations remains to be seen, but he certainly appears to be on the fast track to the big leagues.

:shock:  :icon_question:

http://baseballhotcorner.com/brian-goodwin-closer-look-nats-future-center-fielder/

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #262: January 05, 2014, 08:07:35 PM »
Goodwin’s development figures to have a strong influence on whether or not the Nationals pick up Span’s $9 million option for 2015.   

Span's performance in 2014 will have a stronger influence on all that...

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #263: January 06, 2014, 08:38:50 AM »
Span is signed for one more year on a team friendly deal with a team friendly option.  If Span plays  well and the team is contending, then the team keeps him around.  If he plays well but they aren't contending, then he's a mega trade chip at the deadline considering the market for CFs.  If he does not play well, and Goodwin is ready, then they can turn down the option.   Most likely is that they keep Goodwin in the minors until the 2d half of 2015 so they can defer his arbitration start date.

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #264: January 06, 2014, 09:09:26 AM »
That's hilarious about Mike Trout, who hit 75 points higher and OPSd 200 points higher than Goodwin at the same level three years younger.

I'd be ECSTATIC if Brian Goodwin became the next Devon White.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #265: January 06, 2014, 09:51:28 AM »
Span is signed for one more year on a team friendly deal with a team friendly option.  If Span plays  well and the team is contending, then the team keeps him around.  If he plays well but they aren't contending, then he's a mega trade chip at the deadline considering the market for CFs.  If he does not play well, and Goodwin is ready, then they can turn down the option.   Most likely is that they keep Goodwin in the minors until the 2d half of 2015 so they can defer his arbitration start date.

we also have Eury Perez as a possible replacement if we are tanking the season, and there's always Michael Taylor waiting in the wings.  And, we'll probably trade for Corey Brown at some point.

Offline welch

« Reply #266: January 06, 2014, 05:26:39 PM »
This article was on his twitter page... Look at what caught my eye.

:shock:  :icon_question:

http://baseballhotcorner.com/brian-goodwin-closer-look-nats-future-center-fielder/

Bizarre article. Goodwin will be a super-star once he learns to hit? Is this the same guy who wrote that HRod will be a super-star if he just learns control? Same guy who predicted that Heath Shuler would be a super-star once he learns to pass like Sonny Jurgensen?

Offline sph274

« Reply #267: January 06, 2014, 05:47:43 PM »
Yea, I mean, someone from wnff could have written that garbage. It is just some jerk's website. The trout comparison is freaking ludicrous

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #268: January 06, 2014, 05:49:59 PM »
Yea, I mean, someone from wnff could have written that garbage.

give us some credit

Offline welch

« Reply #269: January 06, 2014, 07:57:42 PM »
There’s no denying that the Nationals have found another potential superstar in Brian Goodwin.

Certainly, this sentence is true, just as there is no denying that my grandson is a potential superstar. He might be seven years old, but who could deny "potential"? Another "potential" superstar? Any kid who will be born next month. There's no denying the possibility.

Wow.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #270: January 06, 2014, 11:02:32 PM »
He's alright, but not a can't-miss guy. I'll admit to being impressed by his OBP, but it seems to me that a top prospect should hit for more average in AA than he did last season. Maybe I'm still overvaluing average, but it concerns me.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #271: January 06, 2014, 11:21:01 PM »
He's alright, but not a can't-miss guy. I'll admit to being impressed by his OBP, but it seems to me that a top prospect should hit for more average in AA than he did last season. Maybe I'm still overvaluing average, but it concerns me.

He was 21st in wOBA for AA... that's a better evaluator of his talent than AVG or OBP on it's own. He definitely has room to improve... but I think the lack of excellent numbers from Goodwin may hide that he's played better than some think.

Online Slateman

« Reply #272: January 07, 2014, 07:32:46 AM »
I think his ceiling is Curtis Granderson, but with less power. Maybe more like Chris Young?

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #273: January 07, 2014, 03:16:07 PM »
He was 21st in wOBA for AA... that's a better evaluator of his talent than AVG or OBP on it's own. He definitely has room to improve... but I think the lack of excellent numbers from Goodwin may hide that he's played better than some think.
I don't know what wOBA is.
I think his ceiling is Curtis Granderson, but with less power. Maybe more like Chris Young?
So one or two good years mixed in with lots of injuries and general poor play?

Online Mattionals

« Reply #274: January 07, 2014, 04:01:40 PM »
Assuming Goodwin grades out to average to above average in all five tools, I think his realistic ceiling is maybe a 15 HR, .270/.370/.450 hitter with good range in CF and a better arm than Span.  I'll take that guy at the top of the order as he is essentially is Denard Span at the outset of his career with more power and a little less OBP.  Still, an .820 OPS would be great in the 1 spot.  Again, that is what I would guess his ceiling is though.

Realistically my expectations would be a .250/.330/.430 hitter.