Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Anthony Rendon, 3B (and 2B, we hope)  (Read 84683 times)

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Re: Follow the Prospects: Anthony Rendon, 3B
« Reply #100: October 01, 2011, 08:22:33 PM »
While it would be nice to see him tear it up, we don't NEED to find out anything from the AFL.

It'd be great if he could make an impact in the bigs at some point next year, but what he does in the AFL won't preclude him from rising quickly next year.

And I would think he probably won't be making a switch of positions in the AFL. He'll probably play whats comfortable, third, to get his feet wet at the pro level.

They should start him out at 2B right away. No reason to screw around with this. Unless Zimmerman approaches the team and says "I want to play first base," Rendon will never see third. Get him at  second. Get him comfortable. Get him ready for Double A in 2012.

Offline RD

« Reply #101: October 01, 2011, 08:55:47 PM »
I disagree.

Who's to say second is his future position?

LF is just as easily his spot. Or first base.

So why don't we throw him at one of those positions right away? Makes just as much sense as throwing him in at 2b initially.

We don't know where he's going to play at the big league level yet. For the AFL at least, let him play what he knows. Let him get some AB's with the most level of comfort.

In spring training, try him out at a couple different spots, just to see where he may take to best. If he's a natural at second or in the OF, go ahead and make a move. If not, he's fine at 3b even in the minors next year.

His future position is as dependent upon our big league roster as it is where he may fit, so we can't just mark him down for one spot. If Desmond and Espinosa lock down the middle infield, there's no reason to play him at 2b. His future will be at 1b or LF in that scenario. If Lombo can handle SS, then Espinosa stays at 2b. If Lombo takes 2b and Espinosa SS, there's still nothing at 2b for Rendon.

I think his most likely future is in LF, which is why Ive always made a Ryan Braun comparison(though I dont think he'll be quite as active on the bases). Second is definitely a potential destination ... We just don't know where he is going to play, so moving him now doesn't make much sense. Move him to 2b now, and in a year, we may have to move him to the OF. We might as well let him rack up as many AB's in a situation where he's more comfortable - and playing 3b initially is likely the best scenario IMO.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #102: October 01, 2011, 09:58:13 PM »
Because we have first base and left field covered for a while. Middle infield is up for grabs

Offline RD

« Reply #103: October 02, 2011, 02:22:36 AM »
How is LF and 1b covered for awhile?

I understand Morse likely fills one of the spots, but not both. LaRoche is only around for one more year. Marrero has a chance to take 1b, but at the expense of D in LF with Morse staying out there. But at this point, Desmond and Espinosa have proven MUCH more than Marrero has(and there isn't a young OF ready to challenge - Harper will be a RF/CF candidate IMO). Lombo is also every bit as proven as Marrero, giving us yet another middle infield option before the 1B/LF. The middle infield is much more set than LF/1B is at the moment.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #104: October 02, 2011, 01:58:47 PM »
I agree that he should start at 3B and only be shifted once the MLB roster is cleared up.  RD I think believes that RF and CF are split between Werth and Harper. I think that is a potential outcome, but even that is up in the air, especially if classic leadoff CF comes in via trade.  It could be that Harper and Werth end up in the corners, despite both having RF arms.  If the trade for a CF happens, it may involve someone on the MLB roster and open a slot for Rendon eventually.  Also, until RZ is extended, Rendon is the insurance policy there.  The biggest thing Rendon can gain in the AFL is some PAs vs. the best young pitching prospects.  Might as well get him used to that while he plays a position he's comfortable at, rather than throwing too much at him now.

Offline RD

« Reply #105: October 03, 2011, 10:35:00 PM »
Anyone hear whats up with Rendon?

I was checking out the AFL rosters, and he's not listed on the Scottsdale roster with the rest of our guys.

Zach Walters is on the roster though, which came as a surprise.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/afl/club.jsp?team_id=544

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #106: October 03, 2011, 10:46:18 PM »
I noticed that today as well.  Just a few days ago Byron Kerr reported Rendon had arrived in Arizona, but I wonder if he meant to say he was expected to arrive.  I can't remember what I was watching or reading the other day, but there was a mention that Walters would be the guy to go if Rendon was unable to.

Kerr also just wrote an article today or yesterday mentioning that Rendon was working on rebuilding his arm strength down in Florida, so I wonder if that may be the reason they ultimately decided to send Walters instead.  He also made note that Purke would be joining the Scottsdale team in about a week.

EDIT:  Check that, the update today was by Kilgore.  Here is the info he relayed from Doug Harris:

First-round pick Anthony Rendon has been mostly sitting out during games and instead is building arm strength and refining his throwing mechanics with Nationals infielder coordinator Jeff Garber, the same coach who helped Ryan Zimmerman rework his form. Rendon, the sixth overall pick, has thrown very little over the past year because of a strain to a muscle in the back of his shoulder. Rendon has healed and the Nationals do not consider the injury an issue moving forward. But Rendon needs repetition to recapture his throwing mechanics. “It’s like spring training for him,” Harris said. It’s something to watch, but the Nationals do not seem alarmed at this point.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #107: October 03, 2011, 10:50:12 PM »
Purke isn't part of the AFL roster. Weird.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #108: October 03, 2011, 10:51:44 PM »

From B Kerr's twitter today:

Quote from: Byron Kerr
Purke to #Arizona after instructs. Solis first start OCT 6. season begins Tomm for Scottsdale #AFL #Nationals @masnsports preview coming up

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #109: October 03, 2011, 10:52:02 PM »
Also... There isn't a damn thing that's been fixed about Zimmerman's throwing. It's crappy as usual.

Offline RD

« Reply #110: October 03, 2011, 11:20:38 PM »

He appears on the link I posted above ... ?

Offline RD

« Reply #111: October 03, 2011, 11:22:59 PM »
I noticed that today as well.  Just a few days ago Byron Kerr reported Rendon had arrived in Arizona, but I wonder if he meant to say he was expected to arrive.  I can't remember what I was watching or reading the other day, but there was a mention that Walters would be the guy to go if Rendon was unable to.

Kerr also just wrote an article today or yesterday mentioning that Rendon was working on rebuilding his arm strength down in Florida, so I wonder if that may be the reason they ultimately decided to send Walters instead.  He also made note that Purke would be joining the Scottsdale team in about a week.

EDIT:  Check that, the update today was by Kilgore.  Here is the info he relayed from Doug Harris:

Thanks for the update. I wonder if he can be added in a couple weeks, just to get a few AB's out there. Im not concerned, but you would think 4 months after the draft, that he would've had enough time to rest, rehab, and get back into shape for games.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #112: October 04, 2011, 08:22:13 AM »
Do we have a player who is on the Wednesday(?) and Saturday(?) only restriction like Harper last year?  Taxi squad or whatever they call it.  maybe that is how they'll use Rendon.

Offline Mr Clean

« Reply #113: October 04, 2011, 09:49:27 AM »
I read a while back that Rendon and Purke will be on the taxi squad, and I think it was because they were not in AA or higher this year. I could be wrong though.

Offline RD

« Reply #114: October 04, 2011, 11:38:10 AM »
I read a while back that Rendon and Purke will be on the taxi squad, and I think it was because they were not in AA or higher this year. I could be wrong though.

Not sure, but I was wondering about this as well.  I thought you were allowed two guys below AA to make the taxi squad, but of the guys we're allocating this year, Purke, Solis, and Rendon/Walters are all A guys.  Maybe pitchers are exempt from the taxi squad?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #116: October 04, 2011, 01:27:59 PM »
Ouch.

Maybe they should have cut on his shoulder the day after they signed him and let him get rehabbing. :(

Offline Slateman

« Reply #117: October 04, 2011, 02:05:48 PM »
How is LF and 1b covered for awhile?

I understand Morse likely fills one of the spots, but not both. LaRoche is only around for one more year. Marrero has a chance to take 1b, but at the expense of D in LF with Morse staying out there. But at this point, Desmond and Espinosa have proven MUCH more than Marrero has(and there isn't a young OF ready to challenge - Harper will be a RF/CF candidate IMO). Lombo is also every bit as proven as Marrero, giving us yet another middle infield option before the 1B/LF. The middle infield is much more set than LF/1B is at the moment.

We have this guy, his name is Bryce Harper. He's kind of a big deal. LF is his. Rendon plays second or we move Zimmerman to first and trade Morse. Or we trade Morse and play Rendon at first.

Rendon has been removed from the AFL roster.  He could be added later per kilgore.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/nationals-journal/post/arizona-fall-league-washington-nationals-pitching-prospect-matt-purke-will-play-top-draft-pick-anthony-rendon-will-not/2011/10/04/gIQAcd0yKL_blog.html

So, two significant ankle injuries and now his shoulder isn't ready ... *sigh* ...

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #118: October 04, 2011, 03:08:33 PM »
It's going to sting if Archie Bradley ends up being better.

Offline RD

« Reply #119: October 04, 2011, 03:51:39 PM »

We have this guy, his name is Bryce Harper. He's kind of a big deal. LF is his. Rendon plays second or we move Zimmerman to first and trade Morse. Or we trade Morse and play Rendon at first.

Harper is unlikely to play left field at the big league level. His arm and overall defensive ability(projection of course, as he gets more experience) suit him better in RF, or possibly in his early years, a CF.

Morse is our LF to start next season, and LaRoche the 1B.

LaRoche will be gone either during the season, or will play it out and be let go, with Morse moving back to first base. That opens up left field, without a person in sight to take it, in terms of in house options ready to play. And if you happen to think Bryce Harper is the LF, then RF is open without an answer ready in the next 12 months or so. Werth/Harper will be our CF/RF, in some order, for the last half of the 2012 season IMO.

No matter how you want to spin it, corner OF/1B is much more open than the middle infield, where we have two young players with a lot of ability already having a year of experience together AND a kid at the AAA level that could push either for a job next year.

For two MI spots, we have 3 players(Desmond, Espinosa, Lombardozzi). For 3 corner OF/1b spots, we have 2 guys(Harper/Morse). If you want to expand that to OF/1B with the uncertainty of where guys play, we have 3 guys(Werth, Harper, Morse), for 4 positions. There is a spot open at OF/1B, while we already have an extra option at MI.

Maybe the off season changes things and we make some moves. Right now though, there simply is no debate - we have multiple long term options ready on the middle infield. Not so much for the corner OF/1B positions.

Im not saying Rendon won't be a 2b option. Just that that absolutely is NOT without a doubt where he ends up. Id honestly wager that he ends up in the OF before 2b. 1b is a last resort, because his size isn't ideal at that position.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #120: October 04, 2011, 04:09:27 PM »
Desmond is terrible. Espinosa is okay and Lombardozzi hasn't proven much in the majors. And, frankly, I'm expecting Rendon to be heads and shoulder above all three of them. If he's not, then this is a pointless conversation, because he is a bust.

I fully expect this team to get a real centerfielder this offseason. Otherwise, our pitching is going to hate our outfielders. Harper has 20 games in centerfield. Barring a large improvement in his abilities to play outfield, he's going to be playing left field.

Best place to put Rendon for now is second base. He has a history of ankle injuries. I don't think he would do very well in left field.

Offline RD

« Reply #121: October 04, 2011, 04:34:24 PM »
Ankle injuries will be more of an issue playing second base, having to step on the bag and having runners try to take him out on double plays.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #122: October 04, 2011, 06:28:33 PM »
Can I switch sides on this one issue and join the LoD? I am not liking this at all. He has been signed for 1 1/2 months and he can't throw the ball?

I thought he was given a PHYSICAL BY THE nATS' OR WAS THAT pURKE? iF HE IS A BUST i WOULD FIRE rIZZO AND HANG THE dRS WHO CLEARED HIM.

Offline RD

« Reply #123: October 04, 2011, 07:28:15 PM »
He was given a physical, as were Purke, Meyer, and Goodwin.

I too don't quite understand. Even if he sat for two months after the draft, he should still be able to throw right now. A position player can get their arm in shape rather quickly(and, under a two month resting period, he would still have had two months up to today to go through a rehab and strengthening program).

But, I still am not worried yet. Plus, he's throwing, they're just working on his mechanics and release. You don't start working on that side of things unless the shoulder is fine health wise. Any new motion while the shoulder is still injured, could cause more damage. I just think they're being a little too cautious with him, which I guess at this point isn't a terrible thing. It'd be nice to see him do well and give us some hope on exactly where he may be next year, but a handful of games(if he's on the taxi squad) isn't going to change a whole lot in terms of where he'll be next year.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #124: October 04, 2011, 07:40:41 PM »
Personally, I don't see any cause for concern at this point.  He has been shut down pretty much the whole summer.  I was actually surprised that they thought he would be able to play in the AFL at all and I still don't see him showing up in Arizona this year.  The true litmus test will come in spring training and later in April when he starts playing full time for Potomac or Harrisburg.  If he is experiencing significant problems in the spring, then it might be time to hit the panic button.

I'm also with RD here, even a very good showing in the AFL is not going to change the development plans for these guys.  The AFL is much different than minor league/major league seasons.  You are not facing pitchers multiple times, players are getting plenty of days off, and the travel is limited to a single state.  Sure, its great to see these guys perform well there, but its more of a showcase league than anything.