Author Topic: What Happens if One or Both Phillies Games are Rained Out?  (Read 2114 times)

Offline DPMOmaha

I believe he is the only legitimate center fielder we have on the team.

That Harper kid seems to be turning into a decent one.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
Looking at the radar, I agree that the worst of the rain appears to have passed.  Tonight will be damp with some occasional showers, but we'll play.

Current hour-by-hour precip predictions on weather.com (as of another post from about an hour ago or thereabouts):

12.00 - 35%
13.00 - 30%
14.00 - 30%
15.00 - 65%
16.00 - 55%
17.00 - 35%
18.00 - 60%
19.00 - 60% [first pitch]
20.00 - 60%
21.00 - 60%
22.00 - 60%
23.00 - 50%

...it's slacking off now as expected but the possibility increases as first pitch approaches.

Offline Ray D

That Harper kid seems to be turning into a decent one.

Harper will do just fine, and he may even develop into a real center fielder, but right now he seems lacking to me.  I expect my centerfielder to catch balls like the double in the first inning last night.  Sorry if that seems harsh, but until we have a centerfielder who makes that play routinely, I don't consider us to have a real centerfielder. I'm not saying it was an easy play, just that it is a play that a centerfielder needs to make.

Offline Ray D

15.00 - 65%
16.00 - 55%
17.00 - 35%
18.00 - 60%
19.00 - 60% [first pitch]
20.00 - 60%
21.00 - 60%
22.00 - 60%
23.00 - 50%

Well that's not what I was seeing listed.  More like 35% throughout the afternoon.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
Harper will do just fine, and he may even develop into a real center fielder, but right now he seems lacking to me.  I expect my centerfielder to catch balls like the double in the first inning last night.  Sorry if that seems harsh, but until we have a centerfielder who makes that play routinely, I don't consider us to have a real centerfielder. I'm not saying it was an easy play, just that it is a play that a centerfielder needs to make.

LOL

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Start Gorzo and Wang. Tell Duke he's going at least 3 in both games

Offline OldChelsea

Well that's not what I was seeing listed.  More like 35% throughout the afternoon.

They have backed off a bit (down to 10% in some slots) but are still holding to 60% through normal match times: http://www.b.weather.com/weather/hourbyhour/graph/Washington+DC+20003:4:US

Offline BigMeech

For someone in his first year playing centerfield, I'd say Bryce is doing just fine.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
For someone in his first year playing centerfield, I'd say Bryce is doing just fine.

He's doing a whole lot better than fine.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/nationals-journal/wp/2012/09/05/bryce-harper-becoming-an-elite-center-fielder/

The dissection of  Bryce Harper’s rookie season has been ceaseless, both here and elsewhere, and yet a crucial part of his development may have been overlooked. Through his sensational offensive start, his second-half batting slump and recent batting resurgence, Harper has established himself as an outstanding defensive outfielder.

Offline skills

So, worst case scenario, Nats are rained out today and tomorrow, have to play a DH on Thursday, end up as the #2 seed and have to fly cross country and open their series Saturday in SF.  I guess we want Cincy to lose today and tomorrow so the seeding is wrapped up and these games don't need to be made up.

I'm not sure there's that much more of an upside to being the #1 seed than the #2 seed. And if there is, I think that the advantage isn't as good as a thursday doubleheader would be bad.

Maybe I've still got Ryder Cup golf on my mind, but could the Nationals just concede the race to the Reds?

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
I'm not sure there's that much more of an upside to being the #1 seed than the #2 seed. And if there is, I think that the advantage isn't as good as a thursday doubleheader would be bad.

Maybe I've still got Ryder Cup golf on my mind, but could the Nationals just concede the race to the Reds?

Well, I don't expect the Nats to play any regulars pretty much at all if there's a double header - not sure it would matter anyway - Cardinals still need 2 wins to get into the playoffs and Cincinnati has already clinched - so it may be a moot point regardless

Offline Galah

• 2016 - the year that everything changed, again.

Concede??? Why step off the gas pedal now???

Offline 1995hoo

Maybe the Nationals could offer "good good."  :twisted:

Offline Ray D

I'm not sure there's that much more of an upside to being the #1 seed than the #2 seed.

Well two things. 

One, I think whoever wins the wildcard game is going to be much worse off for having had to play it.   

Two, #1 seed plays Sunday (#2 plays Saturday) so that  would mean Gio could pitch first game even if he pitches tonight.   

Of course, point two is moot now, I suppose, because Gio has been scratched.   Too bad, I think.

Offline DPMOmaha

He's still learning, certainly, but he's also making plays in CF that few other CF's in the game can make, including most in the playoffs.  Dude is turning into a top 5 CF at age 19.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
I still stand by my prediction that Bryce Harper will end up being a Gold Glove corner out fielder.

Offline DPMOmaha

I still stand by my prediction that Bryce Harper will end up being a Gold Glove corner out fielder.

He very well may, but I wouldn't be shocked if he gets a GG in CF first.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
He's still learning, certainly, but he's also making plays in CF that few other CF's in the game can make, including most in the playoffs.  Dude is turning into a top 5 CF at age 19.

yeah, i think the quest for a Bourne-type CF/Lead-off hitter is going to wait another year.  I fully expect to see LaRoche back next year, with pretty much the same exact lineup we fielded this year, and with Werth batting lead-off with Lombo occasionally stepping in.

Offline NookLoganMafia

Back to the original topic, chances of rain have now been diminished to 10%.  Game on!!!!

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
In addition to pulling for the Cards tonight, pull for the LAD so that keeps the pressure on the Cards to field the regulars and manage for the win each night.

There's no way we aren't playing tonight. 

Offline Ray D

pull for the LAD so that keeps the pressure on the Cards to field the regulars and manage for the win each night.

That would depend on who you would rather play, Cards or Braves. If we want to avoid the Braves, we want the Cards to be well-rested.

Offline OldChelsea

Back to the original topic, chances of rain have now been diminished to 10%.  Game on!!!!

weather.com has 35% for first pitch (highest chance for rest of today) but it does look a lot more promising than it did a few hours ago (http://www.weather.com/weather/hourbyhour/graph/Washington+DC+USDC0001:1:US) - of course I'm going.

Offline scenemissing

"three matches each at centre field"...? - Boys we have ourselves an impostor!   :rofl:

Offline RobDibblesGhost

That would depend on who you would rather play, Cards or Braves. If we want to avoid the Braves, we want the Cards to be well-rested.

Busch Stadium has been a house of horrors for us for several years, so I'd almost rather play the Barves.  At least they'll burn Medlen in the WC Game, so he won't be available until Game 3 of the NLDS (the first home game for us, of course :( )