Author Topic: Penn State @ UVA in 2012  (Read 3061 times)

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
Penn State @ UVA in 2012
« Topic Start: August 13, 2009, 01:42:35 PM »
Ok this is already on my calendar come hell or high water. How hard are UVA football tickets to get? How's the traffic - is driving down from the DC area day of feasible? Hotels?

Sorry, I'm psyched for this one already.

Offline Blueliner

Re: Penn State @ UVA in 2012
« Reply #1: August 23, 2009, 12:33:18 AM »
If you were a real Penn St. fan you would drive from DC to State College.  It's not that bad long of a drive.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #2: August 23, 2009, 09:01:28 AM »
If you were a real Penn St. fan you would drive from DC to State College.  It's not that bad long of a drive.

What is your deal, troll?

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #3: August 23, 2009, 11:24:40 AM »
How's the traffic - is driving down from the DC area day of feasible? Hotels?

It's an easy 2 hour drive from DC and since Charlottesville is a small city, there are plenty of hotels.  ;)

http://travel.nytimes.com/2008/10/26/travel/26hours.html

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #4: August 23, 2009, 11:45:55 AM »
It's an easy 2 hour drive from DC and since Charlottesville is a small city, there are plenty of hotels.  ;)

http://travel.nytimes.com/2008/10/26/travel/26hours.html

Thanks DC fan. In State College, rooms go for hundreds of dollars and every single one sells out. The fan base has to be at least 3x the size on gameday, without exaggaration, 150k to 200k people come into town. So I won't need a room 2 years in advance, which is good.

People like you who are not jerky trolls realize that A) PSU games sell out almost without exception (walkup tickets to Eastern Illionis may be available this year), and B) it is possible that I like UVA and PSU and would especially enjoy this game.

PS The Penn State Football Story, preseason edition is on right now on MASN, just to bug our troll :lmao:

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #5: August 23, 2009, 11:49:11 AM »
I don't follow UVA football but it's my hunch that they don't typically sell out their football games nor do the hotel rooms (save for graduation weekend). But like I said, it's just my hunch.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #6: August 23, 2009, 11:56:30 AM »
I don't follow UVA football but it's my hunch that they don't typically sell out their football games nor do the hotel rooms (save for graduation weekend). But like I said, it's just my hunch.

DC PSU fans might fill the stadium :evil:

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #7: August 23, 2009, 12:01:07 PM »
DC PSU fans might fill the stadium :evil:

I'm sure the financial side of the UVA athletics program won't mind that one bit.  ;)

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #8: August 23, 2009, 12:03:03 PM »
They could fill the stadium.  I don't know how many Virginia state license plates I've seen with a Penn State logo on them in this area.  One of my former neighbor's son is attending Penn State this fall.  So I'll forward the information to them as well.  Shouldn't be a bad trip from their house in Front Royal.

I grew up in Maryland and now live in Virginia.  So I've never attached myself to VA or any Virginia team unless they played an out of state team or I knew a friend who attended that university. 

Although I know my fan favorite RZ attended Virginia, I'm not sure who I'd root for in this case.  I think I lean towards Penn State.  I knew the kid who's going there since he was 3 years old, so I'll support Penn unless they play the Terps.  I grew up rooting for the Terps even though I never went there!

Offline 2IPAs

• Barbie luvs the Nationals!
« Reply #9: August 24, 2009, 03:02:34 PM »
Just a trivia note: Penn State is the #3 party school in the nation; UVA isn't even on the list anymore. 

http://encarta.msn.com/encnet/departments/college/?article=Top10PartySchools09

Offline RL04

« Reply #10: August 24, 2009, 05:38:41 PM »
I went to Penn State.

Seeing them play UVA would be very cool.  I haven't been to a Cavaliers game yet.

But I'd have to cheer for both teams.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #11: August 24, 2009, 05:42:16 PM »
I went to Penn State.

Seeing them play UVA would be very cool.  I haven't been to a Cavaliers game yet.

But I'd have to cheer for both teams.

We are!

Yeah, I can't wait - it's a home and home I believe. Going to be a blast!

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #12: August 24, 2009, 07:08:42 PM »
The hotels usually DO sell out for football weekends well in advance. Some of the hotels require two-night stays. Remember that UVA draws from all over Virginia and it's a big enough state that some people are coming a long way—the Tennessee state line in Bristol, for example, is around 380 miles from my house via the I-66->I-81 route. If you want to book a hotel, make the reservation as soon as the game date is announced. The best thing to do is to book for both Friday and Saturday nights and then adjust it later once the kickoff time is announced. That way you're covered if it's a noon game and you just want to stay Friday night and you're also covered if it turns out to be a night game and you just want to stay Saturday.

Tickets aren't hard to get, although most games usually either sell out or come close. As with any sporting event, all you have to do is walk down Alderman Road near the stadium and listen for scalpers.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #13: August 24, 2009, 07:11:47 PM »
I used to work at an Embassy Suites right next to the Univ. of Nebraska campus and we sold out nearly as soon as we made the rooms available.  All games required a 2 night stay, the big ones 3.  The room rates generally quadrupled the normal rate.  I'd imagine it's like that most places for college and NFL games. 

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #14: August 24, 2009, 07:17:37 PM »
The hotels usually DO sell out for football weekends well in advance. Some of the hotels require two-night stays. Remember that UVA draws from all over Virginia and it's a big enough state that some people are coming a long way—the Tennessee state line in Bristol, for example, is around 380 miles from my house via the I-66->I-81 route. If you want to book a hotel, make the reservation as soon as the game date is announced. The best thing to do is to book for both Friday and Saturday nights and then adjust it later once the kickoff time is announced. That way you're covered if it's a noon game and you just want to stay Friday night and you're also covered if it turns out to be a night game and you just want to stay Saturday.

Tickets aren't hard to get, although most games usually either sell out or come close. As with any sporting event, all you have to do is walk down Alderman Road near the stadium and listen for scalpers.

Game date as in 2012 game date? Thanks a lot, hoo!

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #15: August 24, 2009, 09:37:18 PM »
Just a trivia note: Penn State is the #3 party school in the nation; UVA isn't even on the list anymore. 

http://encarta.msn.com/encnet/departments/college/?article=Top10PartySchools09

UVA was always highly overrated in my opinion.  They used to have this "easters" thing, which was basically like an average weekend at Maryland, but for which they were able to parlay into some great party reputation.  They must have had better PR than other schools, to achieve such a lofty reputation on such scant achievement.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #16: August 24, 2009, 10:31:51 PM »
Game date as in 2012 game date? Thanks a lot, hoo!
You probably won't be able to book a hotel yet.  Most don't take reservations more than a year out.  It's not uncommon that they'll block the weekends of games and will open them all up at the same time, something like 6-8 months before the games.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #17: August 24, 2009, 11:37:44 PM »
Hmm as I do recall... the last time the Lions came to UVA, we whipped that ass! (I know.... I know... 20-14... still, we won!)

Speaking as a season ticket holder for the past nine years, I can tell you that the stadium doesn't often sell out, but it does usually fill up to about 47-58k per game. (Official capacity is 61,500 although the high water mark for the largest crowd was 64,947 in August of 2008)

Traffic can be a hassle, but as long as you get there early you shouldn't have any problems getting a parking space or a ticket.

Lovely stadium. Plus UVA sucks now, and probably will suck in 2012 so you should see a win as well.

Offline RL04

« Reply #18: August 25, 2009, 01:21:35 PM »
We are!

Yeah, I can't wait - it's a home and home I believe. Going to be a blast!

I was at Penn State, the first season the stadium was raised up (1978) Chuck Fusina, Bruce Clark, Matt Millen, the Sugar Bowl loss to Alabama.   :(

I heard Clark moved back to Happy Valley, by the way, tried working in construction and is not doing very well.

Offline 2IPAs

• Barbie luvs the Nationals!
« Reply #19: August 25, 2009, 01:42:49 PM »
UVA was always highly overrated in my opinion.  They used to have this "easters" thing, which was basically like an average weekend at Maryland, but for which they were able to parlay into some great party reputation.  They must have had better PR than other schools, to achieve such a lofty reputation on such scant achievement.
The thing that made Easters weekend distinctive was the "mud bowl," where students hosed down a bowl-like area in the middle of campus for alcohol-fueled mud wrestling. But that feature was gone by the mid-seventies--someone's lawyer probably told them it was a bad idea.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #20: August 26, 2009, 10:29:23 AM »
http://iuhoosiers.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/082609aaa.html

PSU "At" Indiana to be played at FedEx Field in 2010. Indiana to sell 7,000 tickets to a homegame :lmao: meaning that PSU will sell 84,000. That is going to be fun.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #21: August 26, 2009, 01:26:53 PM »
The thing that made Easters weekend distinctive was the "mud bowl," where students hosed down a bowl-like area in the middle of campus for alcohol-fueled mud wrestling.

Sounds like good, wholesome entertainment to me. 

While I was in College Park, there was a wet t-shirt contest held on campus at Richie Coleseum.  Hard to imagine such a thing happening now, in this politically correct era.  And true to form, the two finalists ended up having to bare all in order to clinch the crowd voting.  Crazy stuff.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #22: August 26, 2009, 01:52:17 PM »

PSU "At" Indiana to be played at FedEx Field in 2010. Indiana to sell 7,000 tickets to a homegame :lmao: meaning that PSU will sell 84,000. That is going to be fun.

VA Tech vs Boise State to be played at FedEx as well. Snyder :clap:

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #23: August 26, 2009, 02:12:05 PM »

Taking advantage of the little guy. Reminds me of the way USC (the big boy) took advantage of PSU (the little guy) in the Rose Bowl a few months ago.  :lmao:

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #24: August 26, 2009, 02:53:16 PM »
Ok this is already on my calendar come hell or high water. How hard are UVA football tickets to get? How's the traffic - is driving down from the DC area day of feasible? Hotels?

Sorry, I'm psyched for this one already.

Just saw in the Pittsburgh Post Gazette that PSU and Indiana are going to play at Fed Ex  .....  oops already posted.