Author Topic: Non-alcoholic Drinks  (Read 30387 times)

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: Non-alcoholic Drinks
« Reply #500: August 04, 2015, 09:56:13 AM »
I'm still disappointed that they killed Caribou Coffee in the DC area.  Caribou had many outstanding medium roasts, gone now. 

Also, it's shocking how much $ was spent first on the buildout of Caribou stores, with all the exposed beams and northern camp lodge theme, only to be gutted and rebuilt to Peet's chocolate/coffee colors inside.  What a waste.  Good work for the builders though.
I'm not as heavy a coffee drinker as a tea drinker, but Caribou had the best coffee (mind you, I still like Dunkins more, but that is totally out of loyalty to NE tradition).  There's still a Caribou mail order available as a separate label.  I hope it is the same stuff.  Peets is apparently renovating all their stores, not just converting the Caribous, according to a friend who works in an old Boston-area store.  Honestly, I thought the new look was an awful lot like the Caribous, except maybe a darker stain on the wood and a smoother surface.  The old Peets had more granite counter tops and tile floors.

I like Peets dark roasts better than Starbucks, but I can't get much beyond knowing I like Sumatran coffee the best of what I've tried. 

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #501: August 04, 2015, 11:30:12 AM »
Meanwhile, coffee mediocrity marches on: the first-ever Starbucks in Arlington's Columbia Pike is due to open any day now, right across the street from our neighbourhood Rappahannock Coffee.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #502: March 21, 2017, 08:02:08 AM »
Enjoying some Kona Chocolate Macadamia coffee this morning from the French Press. Brand is Hawaiian Isles. Good stuff. The in laws mailed to us a while back. I also enjoy Lion brand coffee that they send.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #503: March 30, 2017, 01:52:37 PM »
Meanwhile, coffee mediocrity marches on: the first-ever Starbucks in Arlington's Columbia Pike is due to open any day now, right across the street from our neighbourhood Rappahannock Coffee.

In fairness to Starbucks however, they almost single handedly created the gourmet coffee industry and sparked demand for quality.  And consider that if Starbucks is mediocre now, think how much higher the mediocre bar is now than say 1977.  In that era you might say 7/11 was mediocre and Dunkin' Donuts was great.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #504: March 30, 2017, 03:22:46 PM »
Even 7/11 coffee has improved dramatically.

In fairness to Starbucks however, they almost single handedly created the gourmet coffee industry and sparked demand for quality.  And consider that if Starbucks is mediocre now, think how much higher the mediocre bar is now than say 1977.  In that era you might say 7/11 was mediocre and Dunkin' Donuts was great.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #505: March 30, 2017, 03:37:11 PM »
Even 7/11 coffee has improved dramatically.

And Dunkin, and McD's.  Everyone had to raise their game to competed.  Maybe somebody else would have come along to awaken this sleeping giant but all the little mom and pop coffee shops owe their very existence to Starbucks, who created their market for them.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #506: March 30, 2017, 10:37:42 PM »
Dunkin' has always been sublime. 

This cold brew crap really gets my hackles up though...like makes me want to go all Bomber Harris.  If it ain't hot, it ain't coffee. 

(to prove my bad-taste cred, I have a microwave and have on occasion been known to eat Chipotle and drink Bud).

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #507: March 31, 2017, 08:12:20 AM »

This cold brew crap really gets my hackles up though...like makes me want to go all Bomber Harris.  If it ain't hot, it ain't coffee. 

(to prove my bad-taste cred, I have a microwave and have on occasion been known to eat Chipotle and drink Bud).

you forgot the  :old:

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #508: March 31, 2017, 08:53:33 AM »
I'm utterly convinced Starbucks introduced their new drip coffee to make it unpalatable enough that people would just order espresso drinks

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #509: March 31, 2017, 09:34:47 AM »

you forgot the  :old:

Real old guys never had cold brew coffee and don't know what Chipolte is.     :old:

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #510: March 31, 2017, 10:07:43 AM »
I stay away from DD cold brew, but their Iced Coffees are on an IV drip into anyone from the Northeast during the summer. Heck, when I go to the DD near my brother's house (ok, there's at least 5 within a 10 minute drive), and I order a medium during the winter, they still ask "hot or iced?" because folks up there drink it year-round.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #511: March 31, 2017, 10:30:53 AM »
I stay away from DD cold brew, but their Iced Coffees are on an IV drip into anyone from the Northeast during the summer. Heck, when I go to the DD near my brother's house (ok, there's at least 5 within a 10 minute drive), and I order a medium during the winter, they still ask "hot or iced?" because folks up there drink it year-round.
Yea. I tried the cold brew and it's not good and certainly not worth the money. Their regular iced coffee is fine. The best place I have found for cold brew is a coffee shop here in Cincy. $11 for a growler bottle of concentrate. Not bad.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #512: March 31, 2017, 10:36:24 AM »
Real old guys never had cold brew coffee and don't know what Chipolte is.     :old:
I drink it to stay young. 😄

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #513: March 31, 2017, 12:14:46 PM »
I guarantee you've had cold brew, even if you didn't know it. It's really popular in the food service industry. Burger King sells (hot) cold brew. Anywhere with one of those machines that chugs out coffee where you can't see where the reservoir is. Brewing it cold is just a way of making coffee concentrate. Machine coffee that isn't instant.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #514: March 31, 2017, 12:22:46 PM »
I guarantee you've had cold brew, even if you didn't know it. It's really popular in the food service industry. Burger King sells (hot) cold brew. Anywhere with one of those machines that chugs out coffee where you can't see where the reservoir is. Brewing it cold is just a way of making coffee concentrate. Machine coffee that isn't instant.

I don't drink a lot of coffee.    Mostly when I ride the MC in cold weather.    Don't think I've ever been to Burger King.    Is Dunkin Donuts cold brew?     I had a cup there one time when I was at the HD dealer in Dumfries.     When I drink coffee at home, I use Folger individual serve baggies with a packet of Swiss Miss Dark Chocolate.     Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm     However, if I had known coffee had such a kick, I could have saved a lot of money on drugs.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #515: March 31, 2017, 12:38:52 PM »
You'd think the cartels would buy up the coffee plantations and uproot everything.  Maybe dump agent orange.   
However, if I had known coffee had such a kick, I could have saved a lot of money on drugs.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #516: March 31, 2017, 12:42:22 PM »
You'd think the cartels would buy up the coffee plantations and uproot everything.  Maybe dump agent orange.   

The odd thing is I never drank coffee in the Army or any other of the places young folks started back in the day ...  studying (of course I never studied), workin', etc.    In fact, my coffee experience probably began in my mid-50s.    I was just amazed at the buzz from a lil ol cup 'o Joe.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #517: March 31, 2017, 12:46:38 PM »
The odd thing is I never drank coffee in the Army or any other of the places young folks started back in the day ...  studying (of course I never studied), workin', etc.    In fact, my coffee experience probably began in my mid-50s.    I was just amazed at the buzz from a lil ol cup 'o Joe.

Kind of like that first beer buzz.  It takes quite a few more than 1 now.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #518: March 31, 2017, 12:47:43 PM »
Kind of like that first beer buzz.  It takes quite a few more than 1 now.

Indeed.    I don't even mess with just one.     :)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #519: March 31, 2017, 12:48:51 PM »
Indeed.    I don't even mess with just one.     :)

Go straight to #3.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #520: March 31, 2017, 01:59:43 PM »
Dunkin's standard coffee is not cold brew.

You'll know cold brew because it smells *exactly* like you think coffee should taste. And it tastes nothing like that. :) Cold brew is very much lower in acid than hot water brewed coffee.

I don't drink a lot of coffee.    Mostly when I ride the MC in cold weather.    Don't think I've ever been to Burger King.    Is Dunkin Donuts cold brew?     I had a cup there one time when I was at the HD dealer in Dumfries.     When I drink coffee at home, I use Folger individual serve baggies with a packet of Swiss Miss Dark Chocolate.     Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm     However, if I had known coffee had such a kick, I could have saved a lot of money on drugs.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #521: March 31, 2017, 03:49:23 PM »
Dunkin's standard coffee is not cold brew.

You'll know cold brew because it smells *exactly* like you think coffee should taste. And it tastes nothing like that. :) Cold brew is very much lower in acid than hot water brewed coffee.

Can I specifically ask for it?    I'd like to try it for a comparison.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #522: March 31, 2017, 03:52:11 PM »
Can I specifically ask for it?    I'd like to try it for a comparison.
yes, they have both now.  If you are just trying it, don't try the salt and sweet version they've just added.  You want to figure out the basic flavor before you get super-foofoo.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #523: March 31, 2017, 03:53:15 PM »
yes, they have both now.  If you are just trying it, don't try the salt and sweet version they've just added.  You want to figure out the basic flavor before you get super-foofoo.

Where do I get it?   

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #524: March 31, 2017, 03:57:54 PM »
Where do I get it?   
any dunkins.