Author Topic: Linking  (Read 3531 times)

Linking
« Topic Start: January 09, 2008, 09:26:02 AM »
I want to have a link in my sig but the web address is long and unsightly.  I know there is a way to hyperlink or just link to a word but I don't know how to code it in the sig.  So I just want the name of my blog and then if someone goes over my sig and clicks on the name, it goes to the blog.  Sort of how Sens has his.

Can someone explain how to do this?

natsfan1a

Re: Linking
« Reply #1: January 09, 2008, 09:29:06 AM »
Maybe you could use a tinyurl until somebody gets back to you on how to code it?

tinyurl.com

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #2: January 09, 2008, 10:59:26 AM »
You have to use various "tags".  When I create a link on the board, I use 3 sets of tags, which are contained within square brackets:  URL, COLOR, and U (I cannot show them within the square brackets within this paragraph, or the board would process them as actual tags).The URL tag establishes the link, the COLOR tag to makes it blue, and the U tag for an underline.  All the tags have a corresponding closing tag, such as [/u], [/color], and [/url] (I can put these within their square bracket containers as they are closing tags, and there were no opening tags).

So, if I wanted to create a link to wnff.net, so that the text appears as blue and underlined,  I would enter the following:

Code: [Select]
[url=http://www.wnff.net][color=blue][u]WNFF or whatever text you desire to appear[/u][/color][/url]
The tags are case insensitive.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #3: January 09, 2008, 11:01:46 AM »
^ Great explanation. I was actually wondering about that myself.

« Reply #4: January 09, 2008, 11:29:05 AM »

I agree.  Thanks NatAddict and everyone who had tips.  My sig has been made and I am open for business.

natsfan1a

« Reply #5: January 09, 2008, 11:59:22 AM »
I didn't expect the Nationals Inquisition... :)

I agree.  Thanks NatAddict and everyone who had tips.  My sig has been made and I am open for business.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #6: January 09, 2008, 12:26:45 PM »

natsaddict's a beast.   :thumbs:

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #7: January 09, 2008, 02:18:09 PM »
The Nationals Inquisition: A Blog Where  the Chief Weapon is an Almost FaNATical devotion to the  Washington Nationals.

Added to WNFF Toolbar...  :)

Offline spidernat

« Reply #8: January 09, 2008, 04:08:41 PM »
Added to WNFF Toolbar...  :)

I wish I could get this famous toolbar (I know there's useful stuff on it). But I've downloaded it twice on two different computers and have had issues with it both times so I haven't even tried with the one I'm currently using :?

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #9: January 09, 2008, 04:12:16 PM »
I wish I could get this famous toolbar (I know there's useful stuff on it). But I've downloaded it twice on two different computers and have had issues with it both times so I haven't even tried with the one I'm currently using :?

Tom, GET FIREFOX!

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #10: January 09, 2008, 04:26:29 PM »
Tom, GET FIREFOX!

No, we have to remain pretty plain vanilla with our work machines.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #11: January 09, 2008, 04:27:33 PM »

what about at home?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #12: January 09, 2008, 04:30:29 PM »
what about at home?

We use AOL at home, but that browser doesn't work well at all with WNFF.  It doesn't update for new postings, for example.  So I also open IE, probably 7 since it has tabbed browsing.  Seems to work okay, but I have had problems using multiple browsers with AOL concurrently.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #13: January 09, 2008, 04:35:32 PM »
We use AOL at home, but that browser doesn't work well at all with WNFF.  It doesn't update for new postings, for example.  So I also open IE, probably 7 since it has tabbed browsing.  Seems to work okay, but I have had problems using multiple browsers with AOL concurrently.

I have aol also and it sucks but I haven't had the same issues you seem to be having.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #14: January 09, 2008, 05:15:52 PM »

Do like I did at the office, install Firefox, create a keyboard shortcut (say Alt-Shift-F, and then deleted the desktop icon, as well as the "Mozilla Firefox" folder in my Start/All Programs/ section...