Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: A.J. "Taylor" Cole, RHP  (Read 45487 times)

Offline blue911

Re: Follow the Prospects: A.J. Cole, RHP
« Reply #325: January 10, 2015, 11:02:56 PM »
Velocity loss would be a big concern then.

Stoltz saw him pitch one game 7/10/2013.

I looked at BP prospect write ups for the past three years and they are consistent with the lower reading.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #327: April 09, 2015, 09:55:30 PM »
In AAA tonight:

5 IP 8 H 2 R 1 ER 0 BB 3 K

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #328: April 27, 2015, 11:12:02 PM »
Getting called up for tomorrow's start

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #329: April 28, 2015, 10:59:39 AM »
Projected to be a #4 starter in this article. hmm

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=26185

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #330: April 28, 2015, 12:10:46 PM »
Projected to be a #4 starter in this article. hmm

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=26185

You think low or high? I think it's probably not a good sign when you shed as many Ks as he has as you go through the minors.

K/9
low-A: 10.2
high-A: 8.8
AA: 8.5
AAA: 6.9

If you don't have the pitches to get advanced hitters to swing and miss, it's hard to be more than a #4 starter.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #331: April 28, 2015, 01:22:20 PM »
I never saw ace potential but I was expecting #3 SP. Though I guess there is not much difference between a #3 and a #4.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #332: April 28, 2015, 02:14:09 PM »
I know he's starting tonight but hasn't there been reports of lost velocity? I'm concerned about the health of his arm.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #333: April 28, 2015, 10:54:05 PM »
I know he's starting tonight but hasn't there been reports of lost velocity? I'm concerned about the health of his arm.

I noticed that too.  He used to be mid 90s, only touched 93 tonight.  Concerning for sure.

He left everything up.  Not worried about his future.  Just one of those nights where everything was up, nothing was working for him.  But concerned about lack of velo.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #334: April 29, 2015, 06:40:46 AM »
You think low or high? I think it's probably not a good sign when you shed as many Ks as he has as you go through the minors.

K/9
low-A: 10.2
high-A: 8.8
AA: 8.5
AAA: 6.9

If you don't have the pitches to get advanced hitters to swing and miss, it's hard to be more than a #4 starter.

Last year in Triple A his K/9 7.14. He's clearly not ready for the majors, but his stuff has potential. PArticularly that change up.

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #335: April 29, 2015, 07:52:38 AM »
Last year in Triple A his K/9 7.14. He's clearly not ready for the majors, but his stuff has potential. PArticularly that change up.

Not arguing that he has no talent, but did his stuff look like more than a number 4 type to you? I saw maybe the potential for  a 55 fastball, 55 changeup, 50 breaking ball?

I'm leaving command/control out of it because that was obviously not major league ready, at least last night.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #336: April 29, 2015, 07:59:05 AM »
Not arguing that he has no talent, but did his stuff look like more than a number 4 type to you? I saw maybe the potential for  a 55 fastball, 55 changeup, 50 breaking ball?

I'm leaving command/control out of it because that was obviously not major league ready, at least last night.

That change up was really good, but no one was biting because he couldn't locate the fastball down and away. That's why Lobaton got in to it with the umpire early on. Cole painted a couple that the ump called balls. Cole threw five breaking balls last night, so it's tough to evaluate those.

But honestly you couple his extra day of rest with the adrenaline of his first MLB debut and it's not hard to understand why he struggled. It never turned in to "just another game" for him. Get him back to Triple A, work on his command, and call him up later.

Even if he does turn out to be a number 4, he'll be a good one. I just think we're giving up on him too soon. He's only 23. He wasn't projected to challenge for the rotation until next season, but I think it's telling that he got a start ahead of Taylor Jordan and Taylor Hill.

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #337: April 29, 2015, 10:59:25 AM »
Again, not giving up on him or minimizing his talent. I just saw 50-55 stuff, which doesn't exactly scream #2/3 starter to me. The command is a separate issue, but I don't see how you get to a #2/3 projection with the stuff we saw last night unless you have really good command (which obviously he didn't have last night). Maybe he has plus command in him, I don't know.

Maybe we're just differing on what we consider a #4 starter to be. I think it's a very good pitcher, not an insult.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #338: April 29, 2015, 11:43:51 AM »
Again, not giving up on him or minimizing his talent. I just saw 50-55 stuff, which doesn't exactly scream #2/3 starter to me. The command is a separate issue, but I don't see how you get to a #2/3 projection with the stuff we saw last night unless you have really good command (which obviously he didn't have last night). Maybe he has plus command in him, I don't know.

Maybe we're just differing on what we consider a #4 starter to be. I think it's a very good pitcher, not an insult.
do multiple MLB average or slightly above average pitches make a guy an above average pitcher? Yes, if he has command.  Cole lacked that last night, so he has more work to do. 

I don't see him as a Clippard replacement candidate.  Don't the great relievers who were former starters usually have one wipe out pitch and 1-2 other pitches they throw that can be effective playing off the wipe out pitch?

Offline Slateman

« Reply #339: April 29, 2015, 11:48:36 AM »

That's what his stuff was rated as. His breaking stuff is a little more advanced than his contemporaries. His change up as well.

Again, he's 23 and he lost a year to injury.

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #340: April 29, 2015, 01:48:08 PM »
His breaking stuff is a little more advanced than his contemporaries. His change up as well.

I'm going to stop defending myself, as all I'm doing is agreeing with a professional scout's opinion, as well as my own eyes in a game where he gave up 9 runs in 2 innings.

He probably has the stuff to where, if he really improved his command and approach, he could be a #2, while if he just has average command it probably plays down to the #4/5 level. Fair?

But you're not just going to come up to the majors with a 55/55 FB/CH and an average CB and fringy command and be a #2 starter.

do multiple MLB average or slightly above average pitches make a guy an above average pitcher? Yes, if he has command.  Cole lacked that last night, so he has more work to do. 

I don't see him as a Clippard replacement candidate.  Don't the great relievers who were former starters usually have one wipe out pitch and 1-2 other pitches they throw that can be effective playing off the wipe out pitch?

I think a lot of great relievers who were former starters are the ones who get big velocity boosts from working an inning at a time. It Cole was throwing 96 instead of 91-92, I feel like that whole arsenal looks different. But I also don't think all pitchers can boost their velocity like that in short stints.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #341: July 09, 2015, 06:47:23 PM »
Cole left his last start on 6-29 after only two innings with groin tightness and hasn't pitched since.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #342: July 09, 2015, 07:39:53 PM »
Cole left his last start on 6-29 after only two innings with groin tightness and hasn't pitched since.

Bummer

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #343: July 10, 2015, 09:16:07 AM »
need to get him in touch with Dmitri's masseuse.

Offline PC

« Reply #344: July 10, 2015, 02:20:14 PM »
James Wagner ‏@JamesWagnerWP  20m20 minutes ago
A.J. Cole, who missed a start recently with groin tightness, will come off the minor league DL and start for Syracuse tonight.

Offline Mr Clean

« Reply #345: July 10, 2015, 06:34:18 PM »
Looks good today: 6 IP 0 runs 2 hits  0 BB  2 K

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #346: July 10, 2015, 09:25:58 PM »
Looks good today: 6 IP 0 runs 2 hits  0 BB  2 K

Very nice. Will be nice to have around in the pen in Sept.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #347: August 09, 2015, 09:59:03 PM »
Good game today: 7.0 IP   3H 1ER 6K

Offline RD

« Reply #348: August 10, 2015, 09:15:05 AM »
I'd like to see Cole shifted to the pen right now. See if he can get a feel for it. With Fister and Roark out if the rotation, they will get first Crack in an injury or spot start. He's not likely needed as a starter the rest of the year.

The pen needs all the possible help it can get.

Offline blue911

« Reply #349: August 10, 2015, 09:19:34 AM »
I'd like to see Cole shifted to the pen right now. See if he can get a feel for it. With Fister and Roark out if the rotation, they will get first Crack in an injury or spot start. He's not likely needed as a starter the rest of the year.

The pen needs all the possible help it can get.

Then you should want him converted to manager.