Author Topic: Norris to Potomac & Rooney to Harrisburg  (Read 4487 times)

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
Re: Norris to Potomac & Rooney to Harrisburg
« Reply #25: July 16, 2009, 11:07:10 AM »
Where did you get the information anyways? From posters' comments on your blog?

Right that's a way to build credibility :roll:

Brian was designated an insider Tweeter during the draft by MLBAM, give him some credit.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #26: July 16, 2009, 11:10:07 AM »
Right that's a way to build credibility :roll:

Brian was designated an insider Tweeter during the draft by MLBAM, give him some credit.
I know that. I'm just staying a couple of morons posted crap under the comments at his blog a few ago. I haven't seen anything elsewhere about Norris getting promoted.

just blatant, false rumors.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #27: July 16, 2009, 11:40:42 AM »
it doesn't make any sense. :bang:

what are the Nationals thinking?
Damn right.

Have your laughs at SF now, but this organization is putting its head up its ass yet again.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #28: July 16, 2009, 11:47:53 AM »
Damn right.

Have your laughs at SF now, but this organization is putting its head up its ass yet again.

I really don't think it is that big a deal, they are going to promote him in August.  The whole story isn't available, only the stats.  Who knows what they are doing with him, he could be working on something specific with the Hagerstown staff.  I would be upset if he doesn't get called up next month, but I don't think it is anything to break down over.

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #29: July 16, 2009, 12:15:44 PM »
I don't think it's that big of a deal either, but I'm kind of annoyed about this stubbornness about keeping him at catcher.

His skill set is what it is.  Either you live with the fact that he's not good at blocking pitches or you make him a first baseman.  There's no need for them to bang their heads against the wall trying to get a player to learn certain skills when he just doesn't have the proper disposition for them.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #30: July 16, 2009, 12:20:41 PM »
I don't think it's that big of a deal either, but I'm kind of annoyed about this stubbornness about keeping him at catcher.

His skill set is what it is.  Either you live with the fact that he's not good at blocking pitches or you make him a first baseman.  There's no need for them to bang their heads against the wall trying to get a player to learn certain skills when he just doesn't have the proper disposition for them.

He's too small for a 1B. Think Biggio.

Except he has 30 lbs on Biggio. The Kid has bulked up since I saw him play.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #31: July 16, 2009, 12:22:13 PM »

His skill set is what it is.  Either you live with the fact that he's not good at blocking pitches or you make him a first baseman.  There's no need for them to bang their heads against the wall trying to get a player to learn certain skills when he just doesn't have the proper disposition for them.

Maybe they still see something in him where they think he can be a good catcher.  It seems like the front office has high hopes for Marrero at first base (he's having a solid season) and want to do everything in their power to keep Norris @ Catcher until they have no other choice.  Let's face it, two years in a row, two major injuries for Jesus Flores.  I would love to see Norris figure it out defensively so he can spell Flores when he goes down again by the time Norris is in the bigs.  Besides he throws a lot of baserunners out and it sounds like he just loses focus from time-to-time (allowing a past ball, etc).

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #32: July 16, 2009, 12:38:09 PM »
Damn right.

Their slow, overly methodical promotion of players is very questionable.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #33: July 16, 2009, 12:40:06 PM »

His skill set is what it is.  Either you live with the fact that he's not good at blocking pitches or you make him a first baseman.  There's no need for them to bang their heads against the wall trying to get a player to learn certain skills when he just doesn't have the proper disposition for them.

Oh I can agree with this much and with your assessment of Norris' D from yesterday.  If he were playing 3B or corner OF, he would have moved up awhile ago.  Unfortunately, catcher is probably the most demanding fielding position out there and his lack of experience at the position is holding him back.  He has a cannon of an arm, but his blocking skills and game calling skills are in there infant stages.  I don't know how long you hold him at catcher until they just say 'enough.'  I could see them giving him next year to show progress, but if his bat continues to stay hot then they probably will move him.

As for what positions he would change to.  I doubt 1B, because of his height.  I think corner OF would eventually be the best spot for him, possibly RF with his arm (depending on his throwing accuracy when standing up).  I am not too worried about Flores, my friend had the same injury back in HS and made a full recovery by the next season.  Durability may be an issue, but I think both of the injuries he suffered were more of the freak nature than routine.

Offline NFA Brian

• Nationals Farm Authority
« Reply #34: July 16, 2009, 12:54:17 PM »
Intel I got from source who has never been wrong in past. Could have been crossed signals.

Offline blue911

« Reply #35: July 16, 2009, 12:57:40 PM »
Intel I got from source who has never been wrong in past. Could have been crossed signals.

Maybe you should take a page from Ken Rosenthal and demand Norris get a promotion  ;)

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #36: July 16, 2009, 01:10:46 PM »
Maybe you should take a page from Ken Rosenthal and demand Norris get a promotion  ;)

Seriously.  I can't believe they're letting Norris twist in the wind like this :stir:

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #37: July 16, 2009, 01:11:20 PM »

You got Ken Rosenthal'd by the front office. It's no coincidence that the leak in the FO has caused them to back off from firing Manny, hiring Leo Mazzone, and promoting Derek Norris.

Offline blue911

« Reply #38: July 16, 2009, 01:13:00 PM »
Seriously.  I can't believe they're letting Norris twist in the wind like this :stir:

The Lerners should take out a full page ad in all newspapers and apologize to Norris. How can they treat him like this?  :twisted:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #39: July 16, 2009, 01:23:47 PM »
The Lerners should take out a full page ad in all newspapers and apologize to Norris. How can they treat him like this?  :twisted:

It's not the Lerners' fault, it's all the uneducated, pottymouthed fans who instigated the error, and each should personally apologize directly to Phil Wood for the transgression.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #40: July 16, 2009, 01:25:36 PM »
It's not the Lerners' fault, it's all the uneducated, pottymouthed fans who instigated the error, and each should personally apologize directly to Phil Wood for the transgression.

But only within the bounds of good taste or they'll never see their apologies in print! :shock:

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #41: July 16, 2009, 02:30:51 PM »
IFer Michael Martinez demoted to A+ to make room for Rooney.

He's had a horrible year. I thought he was solid last year with Potomac.

Good luck to Rooney. He's a small dude but he can hit.

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #42: July 16, 2009, 06:21:02 PM »
Their slow, overly methodical promotion of players is very questionable.

what the freak? first, everyone complains that we promote too quickly and now its the opposite.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #43: July 16, 2009, 06:32:45 PM »
what the freak? first, everyone complains that we promote too quickly and now its the opposite.

Really. I'd much rather we take our time in promoting guys, than to rush them and cause them to fail at a higher level because they weren't ready for it.

But only within the bounds of good taste or they'll never see their apologies in print! :shock:

I saw that! Looks like someone got their feathers ruffled by some of the comments.

What a clown.

Offline Glockypoo

« Reply #44: July 16, 2009, 08:50:28 PM »
People just need something to complain about. And FWIW, you're 100% right. The overwhelming sentiment on this board was always that the Nats promoted too quickly.

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #45: July 16, 2009, 10:03:31 PM »
I think they do a mix of both.  It's situational.

This team doesn't seem to respect the gravity of the transition from the rookie leagues to Hagerstown.  They've skipped Vermont with a couple of players (Smoker, McGeary, Desmond) and it's backfired every time.  That's really rough because each of those jumps signifies a new challenge.  Going from Vermont to Hagerstown is an introduction to full-season ball, while the jump from the rookie leagues to the GCL puts players in front of much larger crowds.  Trying to put guys in front of larger crowds and increase their workload all at once doesn't seem like a good idea, and the results with those aforementioned players seems to support that notion.

Meanwhile, they really take too long with the jumps between high A, AA, and AAA sometimes.