Author Topic: Michael Bourn signs with Cleveland!!! =D  (Read 2338 times)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: Michael Bourn signs with Cleveland!!! =D
« Reply #25: February 12, 2013, 11:39:47 AM »
No.  The Braves receive our 3rd.

The Yankees get the 2nd for Swisher.
No.  The Indians forfeit their 2d and 3d round picks, but they do not go to NYY or ATL. Both ATL and NYY get supplemental picks between the 1st and 2d round but they do not get the picks CLE forfeits.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26: February 12, 2013, 11:48:31 AM »
Bourn - 4 / $48MM.  Ages 31- 34 seasons.

Span - Guaranteed $11.25 MM for the next 2 years, with an option that could make it 3 years <$21 MM.  Cost us Meyer, who we replaced with Cole (for a player we were going to deal), rather than lose a 2d round pick.  We have Goodwin, too.  Well played, Rizzo.

Indians should go hard after Lohse right now.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #27: February 12, 2013, 01:35:15 PM »
AL Central was really bad last year.  Both KC and Cleveland got a lot better.  The Tigers won't be able to cruise into the postseason again this year. 

Offline Tribe Time

• Long Live LYNYRD SKYNYRD!!!
« Reply #28: February 13, 2013, 06:03:08 AM »
No.  The Indians forfeit their 2d and 3d round picks, but they do not go to NYY or ATL. Both ATL and NYY get supplemental picks between the 1st and 2d round but they do not get the picks CLE forfeits.

You might want to reference articles on that, Cleveland does not give up a 1st in any sense of the matter.

http://www.letsgotribe.com/cleveland_indians_2012_2013_offseason/2013/2/11/3978936/pirates-and-mark-appel-help-indians-land-bourn

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/jon-heyman/21688116/indian-winter-in-big-surprise-cleveland-steals-bourn-from-mets

http://www.foxsportsohio.com/02/11/13/Indians-surprise-by-landing-Bourn/landing_indians1.html?blockID=862505&feedID=3652

From the third article:

"Yes, the Indians were helped by the fact they have a top 10 draft pick, which means they do not lose it to sign Bourn (they give up a pick between the second and third round). Other teams interested in him were picking lower than 10th and were reluctant to give up their first-round pick."

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #29: February 13, 2013, 08:46:30 AM »
good old competitive balance picks

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #30: February 13, 2013, 08:55:05 AM »
good old competitive balance picks

The whole reason some teams get these picks is because they claimed they were too poor to sign free agents.  WTF.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31: February 13, 2013, 09:07:53 AM »
http://www.foxsportsohio.com/02/11/13/Indians-surprise-by-landing-Bourn/landing_indians1.html?blockID=862505&feedID=3652

From the third article:

"Yes, the Indians were helped by the fact they have a top 10 draft pick, which means they do not lose it to sign Bourn (they give up a pick between the second and third round). Other teams interested in him were picking lower than 10th and were reluctant to give up their first-round pick."
Thanks for the slight tweak, TT. So the Indians lose their 2d for Swisher and the competitive balance pick between the 2d and 3d rounds for Bourn, but get to keep their 3d round pick, it sounds like. (Never said the Indians were losing their first; it is protected.)

does not change the fact that the picks the NYY and Barves get are from the league and between the 1st and 3d round.  A change under the CBA is that the compensation does not flow from the signing team to team losing the player.  Rather, the signing team forfeits picks (they disappear) and the losing team gets only one sandwich pick as compensation.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32: February 13, 2013, 11:29:03 AM »
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/indians-use-michael-bourn-to-fill-hole-at-dh/

Interesting take on how the Indians can mix and match the line up both on a traditional, left / right

<====

basis, but also match the flyball / groundball tendencies of the pitching staff by bringing through rotating a Brantley / Bourn / Stubbs OF for the FB pitchers and Swisher to the OF for the GB pitchers.

Francona has been thought of as not needing to manage games much except during the playoffs at his first two managerial jobs.  This will be a chance to see if he is more of a game manager now. 

Online blue911

« Reply #33: February 13, 2013, 12:01:25 PM »

basis, but also match the flyball / groundball tendencies of the pitching staff by bringing through rotating a Brantley / Bourn / Stubbs OF for the FB pitchers and Swisher to the OF for the GB pitchers.

Francona has been thought of as not needing to manage games much except during the playoffs at his first two managerial jobs.  This will be a chance to see if he is more of a game manager now.

I would hope that Francona was brought in for his strengths not his weaknesses.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34: February 13, 2013, 01:32:14 PM »
I did not think the charge was fair before, and probably Cleveland's GM does not think it is an issue.  We'll see if the critics were right.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #35: February 13, 2013, 05:52:24 PM »
Considering this was posted in the "out of town scoreboard," where there is more than just Indians talk on here - and where it is designated to talk about things outside of the nats considering it's called "OUT OF TOWN Scoreboard", your complaint holds no validity.

I've said before I like the Nats as well (yet the Tribe are my main team), and it's funny how you and a few other posters feel the need to try and criticize the Tribe at every turn you get.  I don't rip the Nats though...

Hmm...

Just sayin'...

:lol: Quite a response for a joke that I throw out all the time when people blab about other teams.

I don't "criticize the Tribe", I really don't care either way about them. I think this is a pretty solid signing and I really like the moves they've made this off-season. Bauer is a stud and I hope he makes the D-Backs look like maroons.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #36: February 14, 2013, 08:40:28 AM »
http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/14/the-indians-are-going-to-have-an-albert-belle-bobblehead-day-and-its-glorious/

Albert Belle bobblehead day.  Maybe they should have him in the pose where he ran over that 2nd baseman.

Online blue911

« Reply #37: February 14, 2013, 08:50:37 AM »
http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/14/the-indians-are-going-to-have-an-albert-belle-bobblehead-day-and-its-glorious/

Albert Belle bobblehead day.  Maybe they should have him in the pose where he ran over that 2nd baseman.

Vina was the PED user, so it's all good.