Author Topic: Must See TV Thread (2009-2011)  (Read 91183 times)

Offline DPMOmaha

Re: Must See TV Thread
« Reply #175: September 22, 2009, 10:32:16 PM »
This.  I have a really nice TV but all I ever use it for is movies and baseball.  Mostly baseball as most movies are mindless bullcrap as well :?
Ha!  So true.  Now, I don't have a problem with mindless bullcrap on occasion...

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #176: September 22, 2009, 10:38:44 PM »
Most TV is mindless bullcrap.
That couldn't be farther from the truth.

There is a lot of BRILLIANT stuff out there. You just have to know where to find it. I watch probably 10-15 shows that are still airing now while also going back and watching shows that aired in the past that I missed out on. Currently watching "Six Feet Under". Greatness.

There is a lot of mindless bullcrap out there (Most reality TV and most crap that is shown on CBS and ABC) but there is a lot of kick ass stuff out there too.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #177: September 22, 2009, 10:48:00 PM »
That couldn't be farther from the truth.

There is a lot of BRILLIANT stuff out there. You just have to know where to find it. I watch probably 10-15 shows that are still airing now while also going back and watching shows that aired in the past that I missed out on. Currently watching "Six Feet Under". Greatness.

There is a lot of mindless bullcrap out there (Most reality TV and most crap that is shown on CBS and ABC) but there is a lot of kick ass stuff out there too.
Just because it's entertaining and made well with good acting doesn't mean they're not mindless.  I love drama's, love em.  But most of them don't do anything to challenge me intellectually or stimulate the brain.  It's not all that way, but most of it is.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #178: September 22, 2009, 10:53:37 PM »
I don't know what shows you watch but the stuff I watch isn't mindless.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #179: September 22, 2009, 10:54:03 PM »
i don't watch TV to be intellectually challenged or to have my brain stimulated. that's why i'm a student. i watch tv to be entertained.

if i want to be intellectually challenged, i'll watch PBS. or read a book.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #180: September 22, 2009, 10:56:19 PM »
I mostly just watch sports or the History Channel or Discovery channel when they have some documentaries on.  Both channels are starting to go overboard with these "The World's Blankiest Blank" type shows.  WETA basically just shows Antiques Roadshow, History Detectives, and occasionally Masterpiece Theater anymore.

I also love mindless cartoons like ATHF, Family Guy, and South Park.  I don't see much current TV because of my schedule.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #181: September 22, 2009, 10:56:58 PM »
I mostly just watch sports or the History Channel or Discovery channel when they have some documentaries on.  Both channels are starting to go overboard with these "The World's Blankiest Blank" type shows.

I also love mindless cartoons like ATHF, Family Guy, and South Park.  I don't see much current TV because of my schedule.

i love the history and discovery channels. usually have great shows that are also educational.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #182: September 22, 2009, 10:57:49 PM »
I don't know what shows you watch but the stuff I watch isn't mindless.
We must have different definitions of mindless then. 

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #183: September 22, 2009, 10:58:51 PM »
i love the history and discovery channels. usually have great shows that are also educational.
Those are great, those aren't what we were talking about though.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #184: September 22, 2009, 10:59:55 PM »
i don't watch TV to be intellectually challenged or to have my brain stimulated. that's why i'm a student. i watch tv to be entertained.

if i want to be intellectually challenged, i'll watch PBS. or read a book.
you can't be entertained and stimulated at the same time?

Lost, Fringe, Dollhouse, etc. These are all sci-fi type shows which entertain you while making you think a little.

Offline blue911

« Reply #185: September 23, 2009, 07:34:55 AM »
But when television is bad, nothing is worse. I invite you to sit down in front of your television set when your station goes on the air and stay there, for a day, without a book, without a magazine, without a newspaper, without a profit and loss sheet or a rating book to distract you. Keep your eyes glued to that set until the station signs off. I can assure you that what you will observe is a vast wasteland.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #186: September 23, 2009, 11:54:25 AM »
you can't be entertained and stimulated at the same time?

Lost, Fringe, Dollhouse, etc. These are all sci-fi type shows which entertain you while making you think a little.

i can be but i don't watch any of those shows and have never heard of Dollhouse.

The only "new" shows I watch are the Office, Friday Night Lights (coming back in October!), and occasionally 30 rock. i do think NBC's new show "Community" has potential to be good.

other than that it's re-runs of family guy/the office and sports, with the occasional discovery channel show

Offline 2IPAs

• Barbie luvs the Nationals!
« Reply #187: September 23, 2009, 12:26:19 PM »
Tom Delay's "performance" on "Dancing With the Stars" Monday night was pretty hilarious. But definitely not something you'd want to view in high def.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #188: September 23, 2009, 12:54:04 PM »
But when television is bad, nothing is worse. I invite you to sit down in front of your television set when your station goes on the air and stay there, for a day, without a book, without a magazine, without a newspaper, without a profit and loss sheet or a rating book to distract you. Keep your eyes glued to that set until the station signs off. I can assure you that what you will observe is a vast wasteland.
Who does that?

I rarely watch any tv shows live anyways. I DVR everything and watch the shows at my own convenience.

Offline blue911

« Reply #189: September 23, 2009, 01:14:37 PM »
Who does that?

I rarely watch any tv shows live anyways. I DVR everything and watch the shows at my own convenience.

What do either of those things have to do with the statement?

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #190: September 23, 2009, 01:29:07 PM »
i don't watch TV to be intellectually challenged or to have my brain stimulated.  i watch tv to be entertained.

if i want to be intellectually challenged, i'll read a book.

this. (with a few minor edits).

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #191: September 23, 2009, 04:44:53 PM »
What do either of those things have to do with the statement?

the idea that all tv is stupid is not accurate.

a lot of it is but there is a lot out there that is amazing.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #192: September 23, 2009, 05:28:25 PM »

Srsly, daytime tv makes you want to stick a hot poker in your eye. How many damn judge shows are out there? The Rachel Ray talk show alone makes me head for a high ledge.

Offline saltydad

« Reply #193: September 24, 2009, 01:42:17 AM »
I'm probably biased here, but I really like Nurse Jackie. And Mystery on PBS is outstanding...has been for decades!

Offline blue911

« Reply #194: September 24, 2009, 07:05:34 AM »
the idea that all tv is stupid is not accurate.

a lot of it is but there is a lot out there that is amazing.

Try sitting down and watching one station all day long without any distractions and you will understand.

BTW this isn't my statement, it is the most famous part of the "Vast Wasteland" speech delivered in 1961 by the chairman of the FCC. The speech is considered one of the most influential of the 20th century.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #195: September 24, 2009, 12:10:36 PM »
I'm probably biased here, but I really like Nurse Jackie. And Mystery on PBS is outstanding...has been for decades!
Nurse Jackie was great. I liked it better than this season of Weeds.

Try sitting down and watching one station all day long without any distractions and you will understand.

BTW this isn't my statement, it is the most famous part of the "Vast Wasteland" speech delivered in 1961 by the chairman of the FCC. The speech is considered one of the most influential of the 20th century.
I agree with the statement that daytime TV is nothing but garbage. I watch none of it and even if I sat at home all day (which I don't) I wouldn't watch it anyways.

But that doesn't mean there isn't really good programming out there. Like PA said earlier, some stuff is so good that it is almost art and not just television.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #196: September 24, 2009, 08:17:56 PM »
Anyone going to watch the new show on ABC tonight called "FlashForward"?

Supposed to be similar to Lost. I'll probably watch the pilot tomorrow.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #197: September 24, 2009, 09:24:49 PM »
Ken Burns' series on our National Parks starts this weekend.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #198: September 24, 2009, 09:49:23 PM »
Anyone going to watch the new show on ABC tonight called "FlashForward"?

Supposed to be similar to Lost. I'll probably watch the pilot tomorrow.

Looks like another 4400 ripoff. Sick of those.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #199: September 25, 2009, 12:14:28 AM »
Ken Burns' series on our National Parks starts this weekend.
That should be good...