Author Topic: MLB financials, NoVA development, Etc.  (Read 4030 times)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Re: MLB financials, NoVA development, Etc.
« Reply #50: November 29, 2010, 11:37:59 AM »
Ok I remember now, over by JCPenney?

I think so.  The arcade was "Time Out". 

Offline blue911

« Reply #51: November 29, 2010, 11:49:04 AM »
Can we kindly get back to the strip club discussion.

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
« Reply #52: November 29, 2010, 11:51:56 AM »
Can we kindly get back to the strip club discussion.

The Paper Moon in Richmond is much better than the one in Springfield. $60 for a lap dance is just too much when it is $20 in Richmond.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #53: November 29, 2010, 06:52:17 PM »
Tom / Welch - for ball clubs, isn't the statement of cash flow or the tax-based earnings more important than the income statement (sorry, that dates me as a CPA from the early '80s)?  For example, does that statement of operations include a number for ballplayer depreciation?  Weren't teams allowed to depreciate ballplayers at one time?  There is no outflow of money there. 

The LAC argument I buy the most is the use of the team revenues to pay off the debt the Lerners used to buy the club.

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #54: November 30, 2010, 04:06:06 PM »
Metro isn't always a good thing. Tysons Corner very well could become the next Springfield.
I'm not sure what you mean by next Springfield because I don't see much wrong with Springfield. Plus, Springfield was not "ruined" by having 1 metro station that is probably one of the least active in the Metro system.

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
« Reply #55: November 30, 2010, 04:20:50 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Springfield_Mall_(Virginia)#Notable_events

Perfectly safe. Nothing bad ever happenned there. Great active mall. Full of stores and life.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #56: November 30, 2010, 04:35:58 PM »
Yes, but is it really the Metro's fault?  The heroin distribution and a number of the other incidents predate the metro.  Also, the Metro is pretty far to walk from the Mall.  I think Metro helps when it is closer to a mall than F-S Metro.  I think the lack of foot traffic caused by leases lapsing kind of cascaded the decline. 

I still go there for hair cuts, but sort of like the rest of the mall, there is less to cut.

Offline blue911

« Reply #57: November 30, 2010, 04:38:26 PM »
I would think the proximity to both 95 & 495 would be more of a factor than a 1 mile or so trek to the subway.

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #58: November 30, 2010, 04:40:01 PM »
I would think the proximity to both 95 & 495 would be more of a factor than a 1 mile or so trek to the subway.
This.

I doubt many of those kids take the metro to the mall. If I had to guess , they either walked there, or were dropped off at the mall.

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
« Reply #59: November 30, 2010, 04:48:28 PM »
The problem with the Metro was that it brought in rival gans. There was always gang issues in the area from the apartment complex near the library. It has a police station on the lower level since I was little. It wasn't until the Metro was built that they had people to fued with. I was at the mall when the first big crime happenned. It was a woman that worked at lenscrafters that got raped and beheaded leaving work. The crime in the mall drove away the people, which drove away the stores, which has led to what the mall is now, and it all started with the Metro bringing in criminals from DC.

Another factor and it will be a factor for Tysons is that if you want to rob someone you don't rob someone in your own neighberhood or someone as poor as yourself. This made Springfield a huge target with easy access from the Metro to the mall and a lot of shoppers with money to be robbed.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #60: December 01, 2010, 01:38:51 AM »
I think so.  The arcade was "Time Out". 

I haven't been to Springfield Mall in an incredibly long time, but the last time I was I am almost positive "Time Out" was still there. I'm guessing by past tense, that's no longer the case. Any idea roughly what year it closed?

I'll be showing my nerdiness, but the store I truly miss there is Another Universe. I loved that store as a kid. I remember getting to Springfield Mall around 6am to wait in line for Fabien Nicieza and Scott Lobdell in January of 95, and John Romita Sr. A few months later. They also had one at Fair Lakes, but the Springfield Mall store just had more atmosphere even though it had a worse selection.